Matts in fur

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is the best way to get them out if brush or or comb don't work? Is it best to cut it or shave? We have a fluffy boy and I have noticed some matts but we only got him 2 week ago so don't want to over stress him too much and I don't think he likes grooming to much. How should I deal with the matts? What is the less stressful way to get them out. They are near his bottom. He has been vet checked and vet said he healthy and was just a little case of change it diet as he had a normal poo and then in the same sitting a little sloppy. But fine know. But I think he is a bit lazy too, he is over weight as well, but not too much. Not real interested in exercise either. Any advance would be good ;) when he poos he kinda doesn't lift his bum enough when he finished and gets a bit in his fur. Matts are not big ones and not major problem at the moment but might become a problem if left.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Cuddlemom.

You can purchase a mat cutter from nearly any pet store or, online.  We have a long haired tortie who gets these now and then in her belly and underarm areas and yes, her "cataloons" are prone to them now and then too.

I'm lucky that she enjoys being groomed but one does have to be careful when using a mat cutter for sure.  I've even used small scissors but do NOT recommend this if your cat does not enjoy being groomed by you, One has to be incredibly careful with any tools used; doing it in a calm manner is imperative or you could slip and cause an injury.  

Since you've only had him a short while and aren't sure if he'll be tolerant or not to this, it might be best to take him in to your vet and have what is known as a sanitary trim to his back area.  This shouldn't cause him too much distress and it's safe to do.  

I'd also slowly get him used to being groomed.  Start with small sessions, and give treats so he associates the brush/comb with positive things.  The best type of tool to use something like a Furminator or a wide tooth comb specifically made for long haired breeds.  I rarely use a brush except as a finishing touch.  

Getting the mats out is very important because if they get too large they will start to pull down his skin which is painful to them.  Once he's comfortable having you groom him, it should get easier each time.  

FYI, would love to see a photo of him! 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's safer to use a special mat cutter tool or shave them.  It's really easy to cut the skin if you try to cut them out.  I used to cut them out, was really careful and didn't think much about it.  I have a kitty with long hair and thick undercoat and the vet found a small mat when examining her.  Of course I was embarrassed and told her that I cut them out when I find them.  She was the one that told me that it would be safer to shave or use the special tool.  When I thought about it she is right.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I too have had to cut them out. But again I didnt know that their skin is very tender. I now take my girl to a groomer. She doesnt like it but they are fast and they buzz her furr down to 1/2".

If you don't know how they will react=I started using an old toothbrush to brush under the arms and legs incase they swat at me. This is a good way to introduce brushing. She gets them on her bum and I often trim her but I have gotten her to get used to it. We only do 4-5 min at a time-she lays on her side ontop of the toilet and i trim on the back of the legs and back of tail. Sometimes I have to use a washcloth to clean her up-long hair back there is annoying but once you get into a routine they tolerate it. She gets yummy wet food right after. i tried treats and she hates anything with corn in it..sometimes she likes those expensive treats but i rather she eat wet food so thats what i give her. she now knows brush and trim=food. and she loves her food.

My groomer has many years experience with cats. I have two that go every spring..honeybee and Floey. Floey is a brat at the vets hisses and swats but you know she took it like a champ-they have to lay her on her back to get the belly and back of legs-she growls and hisses but they are fast. She LOVES her short hair-So you can try to trim but only a minute at a time and find a good groomer.

I highly recommend vet or groomers. It takes us longer to do it and they will have it done in 10 minutes. I also ran the clippers while the cat is in the room with me so she gets used to the buzz noise. or an electric toothbrush=anything that makes similiar noses=you dont have to touch it to them just get them used to the noise.

my groomer turns the clippers on and runs it upside down on the cats back without shaving just to prepare the cat for what it feels like-usually the buzz scares them more than the motion of the clippers on their skin/fur.

Floey has been going 3 times a year for now 8-9? years.

Honeybee this will be year #3. she is the jumping bean and takes three of us to hold her down but she really is good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuddlemum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas, I have a slicker brush, desheder and flea comb, just had a look online about removing matts with a wide comb. Will have a look for a matt cutter tool, when I go into town. Thanks everyone.

He doesn't like being brushed and tends to walk away, maybe I am brushing him wrong. Maybe should do short strokes instead of long ones perhaps? How do you brush your cats? And do you have a order of brushing certain areas?
Have thought of doing the treat thing. I brushed him last night before dinner and he was more tolerant of it than last time, I have only been brushing him for a minute or two mainly on the top everyday, in hopes of building up his level of tolerating it. Hoping to be able to get to other areas at some point once he gets used to me and the brush lol. He has given me warning bites I think as he does it slowly and just gently bites, doesn't break skin or anything. I did manage to trim his nails last week while he slept. I have given him something to play with or extra comb so I don't get scratched or bitten.

I grew up with dogs and am more used to handling dogs than cats. I know cats can be temperamental at times and independant, but have been reading info in books and the net since before Christmas to prepare myself lol.

We did have a my grandads cat for a few months after he died, but had to give her up as she was not the same, since found out that outdoor cats (as she was) can not always adjust well when being confined to indoors only, which is what we did. I still feel bad about it, but I didn't know any better at the time. And that was like 15 years ago and haven't had a fur baby since. I think she was highly stressed out and scared after he died, she was very independant when he was alive and scratched a lot, but when we had her she would not come out of the room and was always hiding, she had no confidence at all.

Bear is very different to her he has adjusted really well.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grooming is something that kitties just have to get used to.  My long haired kitty hated it but for some reason she tolerates it when I use the furminator.  Your kitty may tolerate another tool better.  The main thing is what you are already doing.  Just do as much as she will tolerate at a time then go back and do some more later.  Hopefully eventually she will tolerate a full grooming in one session.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Human soft bristle brushes work really well.

Or a body brush like this:

Its long enough that if kitty scratched it wont hurt you. it will bite the brush and that won't hurt the brush..I use an old toothbrush-they get used to the tugging but because the brush is so small its hard to do all the areas but she bites hard so I rather she bite the brush than my fingers.

marian100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My longhair loves a groom but walks off in a snoot after about 3 mins. Have stopped that by grooming on top of the washing machine. I can go for as long as I want. He is super cool about it and only grouches about the illegal bis, tail and cataloons, he doesn't stop me though. It is the solution!