Match This!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 has a photo that can "match this" (I know because I just saw it).
So, here's the thread where you Match, the best you can, the previous picture.
I'm curious to see the progression and change.
I'll start and maybe Kat0121 Kat0121 will get us rolling?

Match this:

Oh, and I better see some serious kudos for my rock fence! (I hated every minute of that project) :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See, Sophie "herself" matches!
I'm interested in seeing how we get from black fuzzbunnies to other cats.....

donnae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 has a photo that can "match this" (I know because I just saw it).
So, here's the thread where you Match, the best you can, the previous picture.
I'm curious to see the progression and change.
I'll start and maybe Kat0121 Kat0121 will get us rolling?

Match this:

Oh, and I better see some serious kudos for my rock fence! (I hated every minute of that project) :lol:
Love the rock fence! I have a much smaller one as a landscape border. Used to be a patio at our old home and loved the stone so much I dug it up and transported it. A lot of work!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love the rock fence! I have a much smaller one as a landscape border. Used to be a patio at our old home and loved the stone so much I dug it up and transported it. A lot of work!
Yeah, I agree! This one is 160ft of... "the rock I need next isn't here, time for another load" LOL

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had about 30ft done before I came to that same realization. I won't do this again either. :lol:
basscat basscat - Thirty feet? You might be a shrewd bobcat-trader, but I've got you beat for Stupidity Recognition. Three years ago, when I decided that it would be a good idea to dig beds around the (nearly 200) trees interspersed in the lawn, round-up the beds, shape them, cover them with landscape fabric, and then mulch them, it took only about three beds before the realisation hit me that only a complete idiot would undertake such a project. There are still twelve beds left to do, encompassing about forty trees, and every time I look at the edging shovel in the barn, my stomach turns over. Maybe I'll cover it with a tarp.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
basscat basscat - Thirty feet? You might be a shrewd bobcat-trader, but I've got you beat for Stupidity Recognition. Three years ago, when I decided that it would be a good idea to dig beds around the (nearly 200) trees interspersed in the lawn, round-up the beds, shape them, cover them with landscape fabric, and then mulch them, it took only about three beds before the realisation hit me that only a complete idiot would undertake such a project. There are still twelve beds left to do, encompassing about forty trees, and every time I look at the edging shovel in the barn, my stomach turns over. Maybe I'll cover it with a tarp.
Guess where half of these rocks came from. :flail:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Top of the Ozark Mountains and you carried each one down?
Once upon a time, my wife said our backyard patio is old and ugly and she wants a new one.

Once upon a time, many houses were built with little or no concern with ground water tables or crawlspace ventilation.
As mine is one of these, I decided it best to dig a DEEP French Drain around the upper side of the house. Deep enough to break the water table, thus preventing moisture under the house. This will require destroying the ugly patio.
This will also create many many many loads of dirt and concrete that will need to be disposed of....somewhere.

Once upon a time, hundredish years ago, there was a rock fence.
Many of the rocks in this fence were used in the house leaving not much of a fence, but, still a line of rocks, many buried.
Over the years, what was left, and others that were uncovered as the yard got bigger, were sort of arranged down the old fence line into roundish flower beds. Sort of a long line of round flower beds.
That is A-LOT of flowerbeds to take care of WITH flowers in them.
Without flowers? There is nothing worse than having to weed eat in and around piles of rocks.

I decide to kill many birds with one stone.
Well.....thousands of stones. (seems I was WAY OFF on that one :lol:)

I'll use the flowerbed rocks and construct a fence a few feet away, where the yard rolls off to a lower level.
I'll then use all that excess French Drain dirt, and broken up patio concrete to fill in behind the fence. Thus making the upper yard a little larger, more level, and turning the fence into a retaining wall.

So, to build a patio.
I must 1st dig a French Drain.
But before I do that, I must 1st build a rock fence.

During which, I run out of fence/flowerbed rock way quicker than I thought I would.
BUT, I have another house (fixer upper) behind my house. The prev owners were big into flowers. In cleaning up that property, I have hauled off THOUSANDS of those thin plastic pots that plants are sold in.
And while mowing that property, I have run over countless, overgrown, flowerbeds. There were round rock flowerbeds ALL OVER THAT PLACE! (I assume the rocks they found, they just used to make "another" flower bed.

So, when I ran out my flowerbed rocks, I got the rest from there...more flowerbeds.

And this is how my projects go. If a tree falls on the stairs to the barn loft? I can't just go rebuild the stairs. I must 1st rebuild the back of the barn so that I have something new, to attach the new stairs to.
My little weekend projects usually wind up taking several months. :lol:

So, flower beds you say? :flail:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
basscat basscat - You crazy; I can't help you, Sundance.

;)

Here in the Great White North, we require meat for sustenance over the long Winter months, and to avoid the caveman appearance of simply gnawing on meat alone, one needs veggies, fresh from the garden - especially hard shell squash - Butternut, Acorn, Buttercup, Futsu, and cetera. It's surprising how much space these silly things require.

When I moved in, I had a miniature rototiller - a 24 inch TroyBilt - suitable for tilling little postage stamp sized parcels for the growing of three crooked carrots. I laid out the area mentally, staked it, and began tilling. It was warm that late Summer, and after a few evenings, the thought struck me that there might be an easier way of tilling up a little garden at the end of the lawn. Guess what - there was.

till.jpg

It's surprising how quickly a little 140 foot by 180 foot patch tills up with sixty horsepower and a 72 inch tiller. Were there rocks in the soil? Billions of them. I paid a local fellow to load up his fourteen yard dump truck and cart them away. When he came back a week later, I asked him where he'd dumped them.

"Arkansas," he said.

You have a fabulous place, and I'm real sorry about those rocks.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the detour everybody. Lets go again (back on track).
Match this: