March 2021 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started reading this yesterday. Definitely a few hard to read paragraphs, but the author always quickly swings back to cute descriptions of Lava, so the bad stuff kinda gets forgotten.

1615808930608.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was reading it too quickly, so stopped to read another book. Will restart over the weekend, so it'll be fresh in my mind for discussion time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1616421201967.png

I finished the book last night. Have to get my thoughts in order, then I'll post my review.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I started this book earlier in the month, then finished it over the weekend. It was sort of a roller coaster ride, or perhaps a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of read. One part horrific descriptions of war, the other cute puppy stories.

That poor, innocent boy who had Down Syndrome. :frown:

And the poor dogs and camels, and other animals. As a huge animal lover, who became vegetarian partly due to my feelings about cruelty to animals, it broke my heart reading about them. And then to learn that the bomb sniffing US military dogs are mostly euthanized after they are no longer able to perform their job, was almost more shocking than what the "enemy" was doing. The things that happen in war times are just so horrible.

The tale of Lava, his escape from Iraq, and all his cute puppy antics was mostly easy to read. But even then, it had to be mixed in with what his life would be like if he hadn't been rescued, or if he'd been released to survive on his own.

I loved reading about "Sam" and all he did to make Lava's life better. I hope he managed to survive, and is living happily now.

I have to say I didn't expect the book to have so many war descriptions, but of course realize, it was the life the author was living, as well as the world Lava was born into, so it had to be part of the story. And I'm sure the horror the Marines experience is way worse than what made the book.

It's hard to actually say if I liked, or disliked, the book. However, rating wise, I'd rate it about 3 out of 5 stars.

1616441776677.png
1616441807189.png

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually ended up liking this book far more than I initially thought that I would. I, also, was concerned about the violence...but without it, there would have been no story to tell. And it was not, not ever, "lovingly" lingered over, as so many books about war seem to do. The focus remained firmly on Lava, and the extreme efforts that so very many people went to in the effort to get him out of the country and home. And Sam. May Whomsoever watch over him and bless him down through all of his days.

The hardest thing for me to take in is that horrific General Order. Pets make even the worst situations more tolerable. They are reminders of why we continue to strive, to overcome. I am appalled that the military does not understand that. I am appalled that they do not want their soldiers to remember their own humanity...this needs to change.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would rate this book 3 out of 5 stars.
I enjoyed the first half, the next quarter I skipped paragraphs but enjoyed the last quarter.
I felt it was well written considering the topic, not much room for light heartedness. Whilst the descriptions of the daily terror and fear they lived under was not an easy read, I felt it was necessary for the reader to understand how hard it was. I fully understand the pleasure Lava brought them even if some were reluctant to show just how much, he represented a little normality in their lives.
The third quarter, for me, had too much information about the politics and dictatorship of the country that I felt didn't add anything to the story hence the skipped paragraphs.
Sam was wonderful as was the determination of everyone who helped by and like you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 wish him nothing but good luck.
I was surprised that IAMS were involved and wonder if any other big pet food manufacturers are also involved in similar situations.
Like you rubysmama rubysmama I found the cruelty of using animals the way they did really upsetting, must have been hard for the troops to witness along with everything else.
I would have liked to have read more about Lava's antics as I'm sure there were more but those in the book were funny.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not enjoy reading this book. I did not find it particularly well-written. If it was, I would probably not have burst out laughing and thrown the book on the floor when, after a haphazard journey to the Jordanian border, Lava found himself back in Baghdad! The contrast between boys and young men risking their lives (for what? oil?) having been brainwashed to kill anything that moved, the horrors they experienced at first hand and the major effort to get one dog back to the United States was just too much. I kept thinking about the U.S. President George W. Bush, UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi sitting in the safety of there own homes while al this was taking place!

Although I was determined to finish it, I had to put the book down many times to give mysef a break.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I read this book. It really threw the horror of war in my face, but I think that is something I need to be reminded of from time to time. I think that some of the things I see are bad until I am shown the things that are going on in other places.

I am happy for Lava and I'm happy that he got a good home. But I think the story shows the desperation of these people that they would risk so much for him. It wasn't just saving a dog, it was a statement that their sole purpose in life is not killing.

I knew that a majority of soldiers never fire their guns in battle. I did not know the extent that the military had gone to in order to assure that most fired their weapons. I would think that most people are not very well suited to killing strangers, even enemy strangers on the battlefield. Motivating these people to kill might lead to increased PTSD, though the conditions there have much to do with that, I'm sure.

I'd give it a 3 and1/2 stars. At the least, it was a good story.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if enjoyed, or liked, is the right word (because it feels too weird to say that about a book with so much war stuff in it), but I'm also really glad I read it.
The story of Lava and how a bunch of military people saved and hid and fed him and loved him is so good. And how Lava helped Jay remember his humanity with all the horrendousness of this (or any) war.
I've listened to NPR for years and remember Anne Garrels reporting and others', and the horrific things that went on while I was comfy in my home, and this brought it back as a reminder of what's needed in the world. Cool to know NPR people played a role in this story.
Animals are so vital to us especially in war times. I didn't remember about the bomb sniffing dogs being euthanized after they couldn't do their job, beyond sad. And the statement about in WW2 soldiers having had a hard time firing their weapons and training was hardened after? That hit me, but I guess war is that way and awful.
Lava is such a character, and his antics were fun to read. I wish there had been more of that too. Sleeping with his head in a boot, romping around, running to greet...oh my all the people who helped feed him, hide him, get him shots and the certificate, smuggled him here and there...it was good to read a story of good humanity and not giving up in the midst of the war.
And Lava is here in this country! A happy ending for Jay and Lava.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems we all pretty much came away with the same general opinion of the book. I sort of feel having that precious puppy picture on the cover kind of deceived us about the actual content, or lulled us into thinking it would be all joyful and fun, when that couldn't possibly be the case considering how and where Lava was discovered. I'm glad I read it, though, even if a few images lingered in my head for longer than I would have liked.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've reached the end of another month, so we'll be moving on from Lava, and the depressing conditions in the country from where he was rescued. I tried Googling to see if he is still alive, which seems unlikely, since his rescue was in November 2004, but couldn't find much info at all from after his initial arrival in the US. Hopefully no news is good news, and he's either still alive, or had a long, happy life in California.

Next up is Ken Follett's spy novel Eye of the Needle. As always, everyone is welcome to read along with us.
April 2021 book of the month club

And our May book will be announced in a day or so. Here's a teaser for it.

Currently one of the top 30 novels from
Goodreads most popular books published in 2008
(fyi, not The Hunger Games or Breaking Dawn, though I enjoyed both books and would read again)