Many Bumps Appear On My Cat's Ears After Going Outside

craftymip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I've attached a picture so you can see what i'm talking about.

My cat (Bessy) is an indoor and outdoor cat. When the warmer weather came around, many bumps started to appear on her ears. Sometimes there are more than others, and sometimes they are scabby :( The fur is now thin on her ears. We think it may have to do with the weeds in our backyard (she enjoys sitting in the weeds), or they might be mosquito bites (we have a lot of mosquitos). This never happened in the winter. She seems very healthy other than this problem. I just want to know if any of you have encountered this problem, or if you know what it is.
DSC_0351.JPG
Thank you!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They could be mosquito bites; they seem to prefer the areas where there's less fur, like the ears, and my cat sometimes gets a little bump or two like that. Or it could be a rash caused by some plant she's exposed to. That photo looks pretty bad. It might be a good idea to have a vet look at her and advise you on how to soothe her skin. Too much scratching could cause an infection.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm voting for a vet check, just to be very sure it isn't mites, or something like. The mites would be inside the ear, but the scratching could leave the outer ear looking like that.

MarVar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I've attached a picture so you can see what i'm talking about.

My cat (Bessy) is an indoor and outdoor cat. When the warmer weather came around, many bumps started to appear on her ears. Sometimes there are more than others, and sometimes they are scabby :( The fur is now thin on her ears. We think it may have to do with the weeds in our backyard (she enjoys sitting in the weeds), or they might be mosquito bites (we have a lot of mosquitos). This never happened in the winter. She seems very healthy other than this problem. I just want to know if any of you have encountered this problem, or if you know what it is.
View attachment 190083 Thank you!
My cat has been an indoor cat and now that we moved to Portugal he is allowed to go out. He is mow having the same bumps on his ears. Did you find out what it was?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat has been an indoor cat and now that we moved to Portugal he is allowed to go out. He is mow having the same bumps on his ears. Did you find out what it was?
The Original Poster hasn't been active on this site since July 2018, so I don't know whether they will get any notification of your post in order to respond.

I would think you are looking at some allergic reaction to something he is getting into while outdoors. Or, even the mites from being outdoors.

You can start your own thread asking your question - and, posting a pic, if you have one; hopefully that will get more attention from members if they see a new thread!!

violetthebengal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat sits outside like all day while we're at work and she has it too, pretty bad. The vet said it was a dermatitis, and we got her on the revolution anti flea stuff. She's in good health otherwise. We think it's mosquitoes cause they're pretty bad here and we see them go around her ears when she's chilling outside. So what I do is I'll just keep her inside for a few days and put hydrogen peroxide on her ears a few times a day.. I'm considering doing lotion too, but i'm gonna hold off on trying that. For now I'm just doing hydrogen peroxide and it doesn't seem to be having a negative affect. It's really difficult keeping her inside for multiple days, but I know that it's worth it, and I don't feel okay with letting her out with tiny open sores on the back of her ears--since like, she itches at it and you can see tiny spots where the skin opens. So that isn't fair to her. So that's how I can help her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For now I'm just doing hydrogen peroxide and it doesn't seem to be having a negative affect.
Hydrogen peroxide can have a negative effect on healing when dealing with open sores. It tends to destroy wounded tissue, rather than healing it - so please be advised.

An alternative home remedy could be tried involving chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on her ear sores with cotton balls or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day.

Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest should she do so.