manx or ?

teagranny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So this is my kitten, Pepper.  Physically: she has large very tufted ears, very soft fluffy fur, would not say it is a double coat; it is longest on her torso but shorter on her legs, face and underneath.  Not sure how much her adult coat will change.

She has long hind legs, slightly awkward gait, not clumsy just a bit different from the way I am used to seeing a cat walk. Large paws!  I would say she has a fine almost small face, not long like Siamese, not round either.

Personality wise: she is very determined and brave, oh my gosh, so brave.  Confident and pushy, no problem pushing her way into the matriarchs food dish and munching away. Will spend extended periods of time trying to catch a fly off the window.

Usually I would swat the fly myself but she gets so much playtime out of one that I leave it for a while.  lol

She is not affectionate or cuddly but does like to companionship, seriously, she likes to stay in the same room I am in and objects to closed doors quite vigorously.  She is now venturing outside and follows me around, playing in the garden, hiding under the broccoli leaves, chasing anything that moves.

I really don't know what to call her color, I would say the picture is fairly true. She seems to have a fairly typical tabby face but her body is spotted, no stripes there.  Some striping on her lower legs.

If there is anything else you would like to know pls ask.

lorelaibella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How does she jump? Does she jump straight up into the air vertically? My friends had a manx that looked a lot like this kitty and would jump straight up into the air (used all four paws to push off-not just the hind feet)

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How does she jump? Does she jump straight up into the air vertically? My friends had a manx that looked a lot like this kitty and would jump straight up into the air (used all four paws to push off-not just the hind feet)
Is this a typical Manx characteristic? Because my Mew does this, and it is the funniest thing! However, I wouldn't think she's a Manx...

midwestmary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She actually looks like an American Bobtail kitten.  The breed has longer back legs and large feet.  The females of the breed are not as affectionate as the males but they do love to follow their people around.  I had American Bobtails in the past and they are a good breed.  She looks to be a spotted tabby and her ear tufts make me wonder if she will be a long haired girl.  Do you have any more pictures of her?

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but cat genealogy is not like dog genealogy. Most dogs can be classified as an "X mix", b/c typically there is a purebred ancestor fairly close in their gene pool.
Cats on the other hand are exactly the opposite. Less than 2% of the world population of cats are purebred/pedigreed cats. It is very, very unlikely that a cat from a shelter has any purebred blood in their gene pool. They may share many characteristics of some pedigreed cat, but unless they are pedigreed from a licensed breeder, they aren't considered any particular breed. Yhe correct terms are domestic long hair or domestic short hair.

This doesn't make them any less beautiful or special. The kitties in this thread are both absolutely gorgeous.

Hope this helps.

midwestmary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually it depends on where in the country you live if the cats in your local shelter have any purebreed blood.  I lived in Hawaii for 14 years and the Japanese bobtail is very common on the island and we received many bobtails in the shelter.  It was common for someone to say that the neighbor had a bobtail that roamed about.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are some OOPS! occurences of litters being born to purebred mothers (or sired by PB fathers) that were not planned, however this is very rare. Pedigreed kittens are almost always sold sterile here in the continental US. I can't speak for Hawaii, but the only way to really see how much pedigreed blood a domestic cat has is via DNA test (or to have personally known one or both purebred parent cats).

As much as I appreciate what those who work in shelters do; some shelters are part of the misinformation problem.

Domestic cats are marketed as particular breeds so people are more likely to adopt them.

My blue domestic SH Oksana was sold to me as a Russian Blue a few years ago. She's a beautiful blue cat with some of the traits of a RB, but she's not. I had no idea and as a new member of this site I posted pictures of my "Russian Blue".

I'm not saying what shelters do is wrong. It may be a tad bit unethical, though. I do however know that finding homes for these animals should take priority, as well as adhering to pro spay/neuter policies.

People were kind enough to set me straight when I came here. That's all I'm trying to do. Information is power.

As far as @TeaGranny and @CourtneyKP's cats pictured above I'd say they both will most likely be Domestic Long Hairs. They are both very beautiful.

@CourtneyKP have you had your kittens hearing tested by the vet? Solid white kittens sometimes suffer from a genetic issue with their hearing. Odd eyed cats like Mew are usually just deaf on one side thank goodness.Solid white kittens with both blue eyes are likely to be deaf in both ears.

Last edited:

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't had her hearing tested yet, but I've been watching her for signs. So far I'd guess her hearing is fine. She's very bouncy and fast for 12 weeks old. She is also already 2/3's the size of Kitty, so we are thinking she will be pretty big.
View media item 225017This picture was 2 weeks ago, so she is bigger than that now. She just refuses to be still EVER! :lol3:

Last edited by a moderator: