Malignant Lymphoma In The Small Intestine And Drooling When Syringe Fed?

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mew is 12 years old, but he will be 13 in October.

For the past month, Mew has been sick. It started off gradual and quickly escalated. He started throwing up every once every week, then it became a few times a week, and it escalated to every day or sometimes multiple times a day. Mew also lost a lot of weight, stopped eating, and barely was moving except to go to the bathroom. After a ultra sound, we discovered that Mew has Lymphoma in the small intestine and we instantly broke down crying. We have heard that Chemotherapy is a option for Mew. Unfortunately the vet isn't sure how many Chemotherapy sessions Mew will need or how much it will help him. If anyone has any experience with Chemotherapy of Lymphoma's, please let me know if it's worth it. Does it really make a huge difference, will the cat live a lot longer the treatments, and how likely is the cat able to go into remission? I would love any information and opinions we could get.

Unfortunately the problems don't end there. Since last Friday, Mew has been syringe fed since he is unable to eat on his own. He has a medicine prescribed that stops him from throwing up and that is suppose to increase his appetite. Unfortunately the appetite stimulates haven't been working and he still can't eat on his own. He was doing okay with the syringe feeding, the first day. But since yesterday and today, he is drooling and looking sick when we try to syringe feed him. He spits a lot of the food back up when we put it in his mouth. He hasn't threw up, but he looks really sick. It breaks our hearts since were doing everything we can to save him and help him get better. We are going to call our vet when the clinic opens tomorrow morning, but please let me know if you have any idea what could be causing this and what I can do to help Mew.

Attachments

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mew is beautiful. I think the person to ask about success in treating lymphoma is your vet. There are different medication protocols and I’m sure that makes a difference.

I’ve had two cats with intestinal lymphoma. One also had diabetes and got very sick very fast. The other lived for a year and a half after diagnosis (she got prednisolone and chlorambucil) but then went downhill fast. But I know that other cats do better and there are other treatment protocols, that’s why your vet would be the best person to ask: he has more experience with the disease than any cat owner.

If you are going to treat Mew long term, a feeding tube will make life easier for everybody.

I hope this helps. Sending Mew get better vibes and comforting ones to you.