Lymphoma/Lymphosarcoma

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So my lovely stray rescue Tipper developed some MASSIVE lymph nodes. GIANT. We took him in to the vet to have him tested for FELV/FIV since that was the first thing that popped up in Google. The vet was astonished by how big his lymph nodes are, and even more astonished that he tested negative for FELV/FIV.

So she basically told me that it usually appears in older cats, but it's not impossible to see in younger cats like Tipper (I'd say he's a little under 2 years). Lymphoma.. or lymphosarcoma.

She gave me some doxicycline (I think in hopes that the inflamed lymph nodes are caused by some type of bacterial infection or something else.) He gets it twice a day. She said if the lymph nodes do not shrink in one week, to come back in and get a biopsy done on then.

IM WORRIED.

Tipper is an amazing kitty, and I know nothing about lymphoma.. or lymphosarcoma. What is the difference? Can someone kind of explain this to me that has experience or has dealt with it? I'd just like to know what we're dealing with if this is the case...

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, let's hope it's an infection. :cross: :hugs: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Lymphoma is short for lymphosarcoma, though I guess technically lymphosarcoma is a malignant lymphoma... so I guess lymphoma would TECHINCALLY refer to the cancer of the white blood cells that has not caused a "mass" to accumulate in kitty, where "lymphosarcoma" refers to a malignant tumor as a result of lymphoma.

BarbB's toby has large cell lymphoma. The only thing they "found" was an enlarged lymph node in his intestines. I think he's 10? My Lazlo underwent chemotherapy from the end of July last year to the end of January this year. He had a "massive mass" in his stomach that biopsy indicated was large cell lymphoma. It was inoperable because it was fused with his stomach lining, and he also had bleeding ulcers. We treated the ulcers with western and Chinese meds, and those resolved. The chemo put his cancer into complete remission. But it's not a cure, it's just a matter of time until he comes out of remission. And that's what chemo does - basically buy more time. :heart2: Typical remission is 9 months to 18 months IF it is large cell lymphoma. Small cell lymphoma is quite different, and according to Lazlo's oncologist, if chemo puts it in remission, it stays in remission.

Chemo in cats is not at all the same as chemo in people. The goal is quality of life, not length of life. Less of the toxins are given per body weight, so they do not suffer the same side-effects, or certainly not to the extent that many people do. If you work with an oncologist, they have set protocols, but use them flexibly, adjusting amounts and sometimes alertering up the cocktails based on how kitty responds and feels on the course of treatment.

If it is lymphoma, there is an 85% chance it is large cell and a 15% chance it is small cell. The type refers to the stage of development of the white blood cells when the mutation into malignancy occurs. Small cell = younger white blood cells; Large cell = older white blood cells.

If you opt for chemotherapy, there is a 15% chance your kitty will suffer side effects that make the treatment not worth it. Typical side effects are drop in or loss of appetite, though this is usually temporary. Lazlo had issues the day or so after treatments, which were weekly for the first two months then every-other-week for the next four. They will lose their whiskers, and their fur will become dull. But with supportive meds: prednisone, an appetite stimulant, and an anti-nausea med, most kitties do really well on chemo (overall). Lazlo completed the chemo in January: an ultrasound showed the cancer went into complete remission in February. So we're in month 7 of remission. :cross:

At 2, it's possible it's lymphoma, but the odds are against it. :nod: :heart2: :cross: :vibes:

Lymphoma is the cancer most often diagnosed in younger cats with cancer, but I think even 2 years old is really young for it.

Many vibes this is an infection and he responds quickly to the antibiotics! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Laurie, thank you SO MUCH for replying!!!

I'm trying not to worry too much, and am really hoping it is only an infection. ALL of his lymph nodes are MASSIVE. We'll be taking him back in in about 5 days to see if the doxicycline has helped at all... I really hope it does!!!

If you don't mind answering, around how much did it cost you for treatment of your Lazlo? (If you don't feel comfortable stating numbers don't worry about it, just trying to get a ballpark of what we're looking at in case he does have it).

And by the way--- YAYYYYY!!! Lazlo is in remission! I know indefinitely that means nothing, but for now that is WONDERFUL!
So happy for you!

Also in doing my research i've came across DCA (Sodium Dichloroacetate) as a treatment for lymphoma. Have you heard anything about this, or used it?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't heard about it. Lazlo was so sick, they gave him about a month to live without chemo - and he looked and acted like that was right, quite frankly. He was one very, very, very sick kitty. He had a very aggressive cancer. An x-ray in mid-January showed nothing - yet by the end of July, the mass in his stomach was so massive, on x-ray it looked like it was squishing all his organs out of place. They thought from the x-ray that it was hemangiosarcoma (not treatable), and that it was his spleen. We were sent home crying, thinking we'd have to face the decision that night or the next day to put him to sleep or not. Thankfully the ultrasound was scheduled that afternoon, and they managed to get the biopsy done at the same time. We waited only one day for the biopsy results, and the very next morning, we called the oncologist, and they had an opening THAT morning. So we did not explore alternatives. :lol3:

His vet is a holistic vet, both a DVM and trained in Chinese meds, western herbs, and nutrition. But basically, she was there as a back-up, because if you opt for chemo, you can't use supporting anti-oxidant type supplement support - it reduces the effectiveness of chemo.

I quickly looked up DCA. It's been shown to work in vitro against breast, brain, and lung cancers.... :dk: I do know that some people opt to treat lymphoma with neoplasine, I think it is. I'm pretty sure it's now available in a patch (nasty tasting stuff, apparently). But again, I know nothing about it.

The chemo through the oncologist cost roughly $180 - $250 per visit, depending on the chemo cocktail. It took 16 visits over 6 months. :nod: We had two ultrasounds done along the way, then decided not to spend the money on those - he was doing so well, so we decided to go the full course and THEN see. :)

Just mega vibes that this isn't cancer! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: