Male Siamese cat sprays all over the house! Help please?

louisandella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Louis is a male Siamese cat, we have had him for about 6 years and never moved or changed much in our house.

We have a dog and another cat, Ella (his sister). He's the only male animal in the house so territory shouldn't be a problem. He was neutered when he was a kitten. He is a very needy cat, always looking for loves and really misses me when I'm gone.

For about a year now he has been spraying around the house: at first he was only spraying in certain places, corner of the wardrobe, by the back door and so on. 

He then started do it up stairs: in my bathroom and up against my door. We realised it was starting to stink out the house so we got some Feliway, it hasn't worked at all though and he has continued his habits.

Lately it has got so bad that its almost unhygienic, he sprays up against the counter's where we prepare our food and so we have been thinking about getting rid of him.

This is the last thing that I want to do and so if you have any idea's about why he is doing this and how I can stop it- tablets we can give him or sprays then please do!

Thank You!!!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, doesn't sound like fun at all and I am sorry that you're dealing with this.
Has he been to the vet and tested for a UTI or other medical causes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisandella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took him to the vet and he said that there was nothing wrong with him 

I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with him physically as he doesn't seem stressed or anxious apart from the fact that he's spraying he seems totally fine...

Thank you though 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats hide pain illness and stress. Something is wrong in his world, to cause him to do this.

Take him to another vet. The vet should take a urine sample and send it to a lab for a culture, to evaluate for crystals (two types) and bacteria. There is also the possibility of idiopathic cystitis. The urinary tract is inflamed, which causes pain and discomfort. The cat blames the litter box, and pees elsewhere.

There are medications for this. Amitriptyline has been successful in treating cystitis.

How many litter boxes do you have? How often do you clean them?

I wonder if there is a strange cat hanging around outside, causing your cat to feel stress, such as his territory is threatened.

What are you feeding your cats?

louisandella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He didn't do the tests- he said there was no need. We also went to another vet who agreed and said that he would have been really ill by now if he had got an infection. But I will ask next time and we have 2 Litter trays and we clean them out every other day usually.

We give them dry food and they get a pouch of wet food in the morning. There is one male cat but it has only been here 6 months and the spraying started before that.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He didn't do the tests- he said there was no need. We also went to another vet who agreed and said that he would have been really ill by now if he had got an infection. But I will ask next time and we have 2 Litter trays and we clean them out every other day usually.
We give them dry food and they get a pouch of wet food in the morning. There is one male cat but it has only been here 6 months and the spraying started before that.
Two vets felt it was not necessary to do a urine culture? That's outrageous. Try another vet.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two vets felt it was not necessary to do a urine culture? That's outrageous. Try another vet.
I agree. Not necessarily that you should change vets, but go back and say that you want these tests done. You need physical proof to rule out UTI before we or your vet can really help you. And make sure they take it out of his bladder and not out of special litter or anything like that.

louisandella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. thank you for your advice: he's going for a check up tomorrow so I can update you...

Any products I can try for my cat though just in case it is not something that is physically wrong with him?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are medications that can help. Ask your vet about the different options. If one doesn't work, try another. It can take a few tries before you find the right one for him.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that tests to rule out issues is probably necessary.  It is the only way to find out if you are dealing with a physical or behavioral issue.  You might want to try the Feliway diffuser.  I had extremely good luck with it when my male Snowshoe decided to relieve himself on the living room sofa.  It took a couple of weeks but his behavior went back to normal and I got a new sofa
  Ramsey's issue was peeing outside of the litter box and not spraying.  There is a difference.  So sorry you are having to deal with this.  He is such a pretty boy!

tracag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am going through the same thing with my cat Mister, I hope you figure it out and appreciate all the great ideas above, thanks all!

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Jasper is the same way. 

We got Jasper a little more than a year ago from my neighbor.  They'd moved a family member here, she had a cat, the only apt she could find in her price range didn't allow pets.  They couldn't keep him- they asked us.  I have 2 other cats- an 11 year old and a 2 year old female.  Everyone is spayed/neutered. 

Jasper is very high strung too.  He's become attached to me.  Follows me everywhere.  Will only sleep on MY lap.  Stresses out when I'm not here.  And I had no idea just how bad his spraying was- until I took on a part-time temp job, and we had one room that was just covered in cat pee.  Ick. He also doesn't like it when we go away.  We had to leave for a few days at Christmas (the neighbors come in and feed/play with the animals) and there was Jasper- in the garage spraying the door.

I tried everything.  The Feliaway diffusers seem to work.  I have 2 downstairs, and 1 upstairs in dd's room (for some reason he's decided that he doesn't like the stink in her room).  Dh got so fed up with it- he'd discussed re-homing.  Problem is- he's 11 too and probably wouldn't do very well at re-homing/ he'd wind up being put down.

He still sprays- it's not as bad as it once was.  He goes back to it when the diffusers are almost empty, so I try to keep them filled.  I've found the best place to get the refills is at Amazon.  He's also taken up spraying more b/c we have at least 2 stray males (not neutered either) roaming around out backyard.  And I know one of them has sprayed my back door.  I see the "cat pee graffiti (I love My Cat From Hell
) on the door, and I see it as well.  So far the best thing that's cleaned up the mess (gotten rid of the stink) is plain old warm water and white vinegar. 

Cheryl

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I would have no qualms about trapping, neutering and releasing those two entire males, and any others that come along.  When living in my first house there were two I had done.  They were spraying the wall next to the front door, yuck, and my neighbour thought it was my cats. 

Best thing to clean up is a solution of biological washing powder in warm water. 

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I could trap them I would.  So over these 2 animals.  It's not just my house they do- it's a whole bunch of them in the neighborhood.  And the way some people drive around here, I'm surprised one of them hasn't been hit by a car yet.  And it's a whole $50 to get your animal fixed at the humane society!  That's where I had Holly done and they were so nice!

Ok- off my soapbox now.

I'll have to look for some washing powder.  My back door is a mess, and then all poor Jasper does is spray over it. 

Cheryl

newbestrayowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We  just recently became aware of a cat pee remover. It is called SCOE 10X. We just rescued a stray 4 yr old male cat, and is now at the vets getting nutered, wormed, tested for various cat diseases, hence we have not obtained a bottle of this stuff. Here is their website: [email protected]. Actually, I lost the web site address, but I am sure this newsletter from them must contain the actual website address! Good luck, sure hope it works, the company claims that it does!

newbestrayowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just found the e-mail address, and toll free telephone number:   SCOE10X.COM....1-877-648-4015, again, good luck!!

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem. Have been having it for a year now. Right now I have my Jasper on Buspar. It has slowed the spraying down some but it hasn't stopped. The neighbor cats (3 of them) are a huge issue, always in my yard and using it for a litter box. I just bought "The Scarecrow" and am going to hook it up today. I think if I can keep these other cats out of the yard things will be better. We'll see. I'm at a complete loss as to what else I can possibly try.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had problems with a cat coming into my garden, and after turning the hose on him a few times (I never actually managed to get him wet!) he got the idea and went somewhere else.