Male Or Female?? (i Feel So Dumb, Lol)

ewells1014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this sweet (SWEEEEEET) stray turned up on our front porch last night, and based on a quick glance to his rear end, I assumed it was a male. Since he's STILL here today, and is super friendly, I've been petting him, picking him up, etc. His belly is very, very firm--not huge, but still noticeably big and firm. I swear it feels just like a pregnant female belly. I tried my best to get pics of his genitalia. Do pregnant females have swollen vulvas, or are these just tiny testicles?! I'm so confused. I've had cats my entire life and I should know this by now, but I don't know why a male cat would have a very swollen belly.

Attachments

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't tell the sex because of all the fluff, but others have more experience and will be by shortly, I'm sure.

Normally, though, if a male cat isn't neutered, his testicles are more obvious.

I will say that the main reason for stray cats to have swollen bellies is because of worms. This is fixable with a cat-safe dewormer!

If you're planning to keep/care for this kitty, a vet visit will be necessary anyway. You can ask your vet about what she/he has in stock or about recommendations for ordering one online.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ewells1014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure what were going to do yet. I already have two indoor cats. While I wouldn't mind adding a third one to the mix (who would?! :) ) I really don't have room for a second litter box. This kitty seems generally in decent health--thin but not painfully so, a bit of flea dirt, but not covered in it, and its ears look fairly clean from what I can tell. I did give him a dose of Revolution this afternoon because I saw him grooming himself and biting at one of his ankles like they do when they have fleas. That would take care of any ear mites, fleas, ticks, and round worms I believe.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you like the cat don't wait too long to make your decision to keep him or take him to the shelter. (remember death by euthanasia is better than slowly dying after a car hits you, or starving.) If you hesitate and something happens to him it could mean a high vet bill, or worse a lot of guilt.

ewells1014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take him to the vet tomorrow. He's really just way too sweet to be a long-term stray...I'm thinking either he was out prowling around and maybe got lost (unlikely) or somebody dumped him. :(

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you. He's a beautiful cat with lovely thick fur. He must belong to someone.

Also, report him found to Animal Control. I located the owner for a stray through Animal Control. They take reports on all sorts of lost animals. You don't have to turn him in.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It looks like he has very green eyes? He could have a bit of Russian Blue in him.. not full, as his coat is too lush. But Russians are known for running like crazy if they get scared, and he could well be lost. It's a very 'out there' guess, but you never know. Definitely get him checked for a chip.
He looks like a real darling.. I hope he either finds his original home or a wonderful one with you. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, that's a tom. And the most likely cause of the big belly is a huge load of worms, which is, thankfully, easily treated! If you possibly can, after having your vet check for a chip, get the little guy neutered. He doesn't need those fuzzy bits in the least, and the neighborhood queens will all heave sighs of relief!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second some of the previous posts, and before considering neutering him, please do check if someone is looking for him.
It's rather uncommon that a feral cat is so sweet, he belongs to someone who might be desperately (I would be) looking for him.

Thanks for giving him a safe place to stay, meanwhile!

ewells1014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Took him to the vet yesterday. Other than worms, he’s the picture of health! No chip. :( The vet dewormed him and gave him his rabies shot, and I gave him a dose of Revolution. He’s scheduled to be neutered on Monday. The vets office took his pic and put him on their Facebook page, and I posted his pic and info on two local missing pets pages here in AL.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh well done. :)
It sounds like he might be yours. :redheartpump:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations on your new cat!

Forest Cat, in my banner below, was dumped too. He was already neutered and someone must have paid a fair bit for a pet-quality Persian cat, but then went ahead and dumped him.

Their loss, my gain!

:thumbsup:

Has your new cat got a name yet? I hope you're going to stick around and tell us all about him.

;)