Male Cat Unknown Issues - Peeing Outside Box

george775

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a 12yr male cat, had him since he was 6 weeks He's shared a house with another cat since he was just a year old. This cat has never gone outside his litter box until about 8 months ago therefore not suspected to be behavioral. He's indoor only on a diet of UTI food, currently prescription UTI food. No major changes at home, no changes in litter, litter boxes cleaned twice daily, pets people or cleaners.
  • Licks fur off stomach until bald
  • Drinks huge amounts of water
  • Eats normally
  • Can't jump anymore and seemed to wobble at least once then lay down after walking
  • Attacks other cat and becomes agitated at times
  • Will use litter box.. all three of them then pee on the floor by/on the litter box
  • I've used anti enzyme cleaners to thoroughly clean the area (concrete in garage)
  • Cleaned with bleach, also cleaned and sprayed citrus cleaners in the area.. still he pisses in the exact same spot every ***ing day.
I've taken him to the vet numerous times, I've spent thousands on this animal and still these symptoms keep reoccurring only now they are non stop occurring.

He's been given the following since the start of the year:
  • Multiple steroid shots - stopped the chewing of the fur
  • Pain medication
  • Antibiotics.. weeks later stronger Antibiotics
  • Anti Depressants (one vet thought he was depressed)
  • Currently on medication for.. allergies ok that might explain the chewing but the peeing?
  • 2x Blood work - came back clean
  • Numerous urine samples - cultured always clean EVERY time?
  • XRay'd twice no stones, no obstructions and no blockages
  • Ultra Sound - Found "sludge in bladder" recommended UTI food (he was already on) recommended "prescription UTI food" still the peeing!
  • Using "Calming" cat treats and Feliway plugin
So all of the above and I still have a cat that's a total bastard at times, howls at night for no obvious reason other than he maybe in pain or distress. I've seen four vets none of which appear to have any idea what is wrong other than more tests and drugs? Yes just to be sure I've checked to ensure he hasn't forgotten where to go pee he'll use his box when he's loaded up on Steroids and Antibiotics then 3 or 6 weeks later back to all of the above. He always uses his box to pee then a few hours later another and another no matter if I clean them he ends up peeing on the same spot on the concrete every single day after he's used his box. It's like he's gone stopped because it's sore/uncomfortable? Then tried again and again and again.

I'm at the stage where this cat is going to have to take a long nap as I can't fix him, the doctors don't seem to be able to figure it out and he's in distress a lot now. I've googled, I've asked other cat owners and I've no answers other than to put him to sleep. I'm hoping someone here can help.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, I had a female kitty who insisted on peeing on ANYTHING left on the floor for her whole 14 years of life (she died in the end of diabetic related issues, not the weeing one's).

It could be that at this point it is behavioural. Sounds like he had urinary issues, probably hurt him to pee, so he stopped using the box he associated with the pain. This is very common. That being said, you said he sometimes howls as though something hurts. How does he appear when he pee's? Does he appear as though he is in pain?

Which urinary food is he on? Some kitties work better with one type than another. I had a kitty who used to get blocked and he didn't do well at all on the Royal Canin Urinary which pretty much just made him drink more water, but he did superbly on Hills C/D. They also have a variety now that contains triptophan which may help relieve stress and it can work even better.

How many litter boxes do you have? I think I read you have more than 1 cat? They say you should have a litter box for every cat and one to spare. I have 2 cats and 2 boxes but both are those huge underbed storage containers. Also, offer a variety of cat litter (speaking of which, you haven't changed that have you?) Lastly putting the litter box right where he continues to pee will block him from that particular spot.

How is he when he's had the antibiotics? Is he any better? (sorry, I'm confused although your post made it sound as though if he's on steroids and antibiotics things improve? This tells me pain!!!)

Have any of the vets tried pain relief and when he's been on it is does the problem improve? Trialling some pain relief may be a good indicator as to whether it's behaviour or pain.

Some cats, if it's become a learned behaviour, do require a course of antidepressant. I believe prozac in particular is good for this issue but clomicalm is used often as well.

I do understand your frustration. I know there were times I threatened to put my girl down if she ruined anything else of ours by peeing on it, but I loved her and I don't think ultimately she meant to be a pain.

lilsnakeyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am definitely not an expert, but I have gone through improper elimination with both my cats over the ten years of owning them.

The first thing my vet recomended the last year when my cat started eliminating outside the box was natural things. She made me go buy new litter boxes and replace the old ones. My guess that something scared your cat, or he felt pain in the litter box and now associates that fear or pain with your current box. I would set up a new box where your current box is, and set up another box where he is eliminating. When I went through this, I had the boxes in an "L" in the corner of the room to cover the area where I was having the issues.

My cat was put 5 mg of prozac for the first week and then taken down to 2.5 mg of prozac every day. That helped with the problem. Some cats just need that stabilization and this has helped this particular cat with the improper elimination.

I have feliway diffusers in the house, and my cat that has been eliminating improperly recently also wears a calming collar now. She gets a new one every 30 days. The collar I buy is Nature Calm 24/7 Feline Calming Pheromone Collar. Amazon.com usually has them for $13-14. I truly believe the combo of the new litterboxes, the feliway, the calming collar, and prozac have ALL helped with the issue.

My male cat DEMANDS a clean litter box at all times. That mean if one of them uses it, he will go over, smell it, and meow for me to clean it. Some cats want a really clean litterbox. Maybe that is also what your cats wants? I'm sure the litter box gets filled very quickly with 3 cats.

Another thought - have you had your cat checked for arthritis? Maybe he has arthritis and the litterbox is too high for him to walk/jump into. Perhaps you need a shorter box, and maybe you need to talk to your vet about arthritis supplements for your cat. My male cat is getting glucosamine supplements to help with his arthritis.

Those are just a couple suggestions from someone that has gone through this. I hope you can get it figured out quickly. I know how frustrating it can be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george775

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies they are very much appreciated.

I've had the cat on both Royal Canin & Hills C/D with zero effect other than he doesn't present with UTI's or UTI like symptoms anymore. He had a UTI about 8 years ago and would present with similar symptoms unless fed UTI food. I've got two cats and three litter boxes, two of which are low to the ground just in case of arthritis. I don't know if he has arthritis as once he gets a steroid shot his walking and jumping issues are all but gone. Yes I've put the litter box right where he likes to go and he went in it.. next time he went on the side of it even though I'd cleaned it. I don't believe it's behavior as his pattern is to go in a box, hour later go in another box even though the first box is clean then hours later he'll go on his spot. It isn't like he's just going on that one spot all the time. He'll walk past three clean boxes to do this or pee on a clean box if it's on that spot. I think you might be right it could be pain. Boxes are all new, replaced one last summer, another before Christmas and the third a few weeks ago.

He's currently on steroids and has been on antibiotics in the past. When he's been on both he's almost back to normal but blood and urine indicate no infections and the vet isn't wanting to give him anymore antibiotics instead he got a double dose of steroids. I do have some pain medication that I've given him a few times and that seems to help him but it's an ordeal trying to get him to ingest it.

Prozac was recommended and all that did was make him relaxed while chewing off his fur. I've got the feliway defuseors and he likes to sleep by them but that's it. He's an intelligent cat and communicates well by meowing then having me follow him to what he wants which is normally out on the porch, clean litter box, food/water. The litter boxes are cleaned at least twice daily when I get up before work and again when I get home. It's frustrating and I'd hope to get a few more years with this cat.

george775

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I've run out of options with this cat. He got worse peeing and straining outside the box over and over again for 2 days. Then started using his litter box again like normal he has been fine for a week now back to constant meowing and back to peeing beside his litter box. I don't know what else to do at this stage other than put him to sleep. Three different vets can't figure it out and over $2,000 alone this year. I can't be up 24-7 watching this cat, having him interrupt my sleep and having to constantly scrub pee from the floor every other day when I get home.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried canned food? The moisture in it might help him.

george775

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hate to respond on such an old thread but wanted to add something in case anyone else is searching and any of this helps them at all.

It's three almost four years later and I just put him to sleep :( He had kidney disease. His behavior issues where I believe now attachment. He was attached to me and would get worried when left alone. I setup a camera to see what he'd do alone and it was to be honest heartbreaking. He'd howl and howl and wonder around the house or sit by the door waiting. On medication he'd relax and sleep. A change in medication helped him massively and made this past year good on him in that regard.

He had been in and out of the vets office a lot these past few years. He was diagnosed almost a year ago and had been kept comfortable. In the end he'd drink every drop of water he could get and pee most of it out again and repeat over and over. I found him dehydrated and in pain again and took him in. I absolutely hated doing it but I couldn't leave him in pain to die like that and didn't want to keep propping him up at 15 to spare me the grief of putting him down.