Male Cat Has Not Urinated In Two Days? No Other Symptoms

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Leo made a golf ball sized peepee! And some poopoo. This was while I went out to a board game café as a distraction which seemed to help. My mom said he went to the litter box twice - first trip was pee, second was poo. No cries, no multi-trips, nothing out of the ordinary, etc. Basically was behaving normally otherwise. Once I got home he demanded petting as usual, so he gots lots from me. I'll still be keeping an eye on the situation, but I'm really hoping it's just me being silly vs something serious. I wish I could punch my anxiety in the face sometimes. Anyway, I should get to bed as I'm exhausted in every way - thank you & I'll update again! xo

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom for that ((hugs)) and CaliCatCharlie CaliCatCharlie @jinxybean for the wake up purraise!

Good news: we have another pee deposit, 100% from Leo! I saw him go just now and it was business as usual. I'm starting to feel relieved, thank goodness! I'll still keep an eye - maybe start a diary - and hopefully I'll see a pattern to ease my thoughts, but also to know exactly if/when to worry, too. Does anybody else keep such a diary? Oh, and Rosco did his business just now, too. Join the club, buddy!

Maybe both cats are producing less urine for now as it's cold outside and they're just not as thirsty for the water bowl? (Or maybe it is their normal amount and my anxiety is having another twirl, sigh) I know I drink less in the winter as it feels too cold going down my insides. They're eating wet food for 3 out of 4 meals a day now - that's been a transition from Oct/Nov when they had a set amount of free-fed dry kibble and one wet meal a day. Once my wake up routine is more consistent and such I'll switch that first meal to wet food, too. (Hopefully I won't have to buy another bag of kibble once this one is done.) One goal at a time so long as my boys are happy and healthy :)

Thank you again everyone for all of your support! <3 xo

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
meowmylexi meowmylexi I am also on the switchover quest. Charlie is being pretty stubborn...he likes his afternoon crunchies! And he is being very picky about how much ‘vet food’ makes it into his Fancy Feast. So far I can get a 1/4 of the vet stuff mixed into his regular. But he loves the vet dry stuff.

All you can do is work on it and love your kitty. Charlie eating anything wet is most important at this point!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:heartshape:

Deep breathes.

:grouphug:

Is your mum with you right now? I don't think you should be alone. But, we are here with you. I promise.

I expect you're experiencing paranoia and are on heightened alert. I recommend that you phone a vet and ask for advice but that you don't rush out of the door to emergency care, unnecessarily. Can your mum phone a vet on your behalf?

That Leo isn't crying or straining is a great sign. And that he's shown no signs whatsoever that he needs a pee is even better. I know how worried you are but you must take a step back and keep calm.

Brian was poisoned by antifreeze and died after two days in the hospital. I know how panicked I was when I phoned the vet. I couldn't drive him to them as I was so distressed and had to get them to bring an ambulance car out to collect him. So, I know how you must be feeling, whether Leo has an obstruction or not.

x
:grouphug::grouphug2::hugs::rbheart::redheartpump::hearthrob:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm wondering if they are at the water bowl a bit less due to the increased moisture they're getting from the wet food. Regarding tracking things, I'm keeping a spreadsheet of my guys weight over time cuz when I added some frozen raw to his diet he lost weight and prior to that he had decided he really liked his kibble all of a sudden and gained too much, so I'm a tad paranoid. This is a cat that when he's underweight, his hip bones jut out just like an old dairy cow lol.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom for that ((hugs)) and CaliCatCharlie CaliCatCharlie @jinxybean for the wake up purraise!

Good news: we have another pee deposit, 100% from Leo! I saw him go just now and it was business as usual. I'm starting to feel relieved, thank goodness! I'll still keep an eye - maybe start a diary - and hopefully I'll see a pattern to ease my thoughts, but also to know exactly if/when to worry, too. Does anybody else keep such a diary? Oh, and Rosco did his business just now, too. Join the club, buddy!

Maybe both cats are producing less urine for now as it's cold outside and they're just not as thirsty for the water bowl? (Or maybe it is their normal amount and my anxiety is having another twirl, sigh) I know I drink less in the winter as it feels too cold going down my insides. They're eating wet food for 3 out of 4 meals a day now - that's been a transition from Oct/Nov when they had a set amount of free-fed dry kibble and one wet meal a day. Once my wake up routine is more consistent and such I'll switch that first meal to wet food, too. (Hopefully I won't have to buy another bag of kibble once this one is done.) One goal at a time so long as my boys are happy and healthy :)

Thank you again everyone for all of your support! <3 xo
:hithere::salam: :clap: So happy things are going well now.:clap2: Gypsy seems be having smaller urine deposits too. I do think it is because it has been so darn cold.She was at the vet last Thur for a vaccination and her hydration (and everything else) is just fine.:jive: Please don't stay away so long, post some pictures of your boys:camera: and check in sometimes when things are going fine. :wave2:

Last edited:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that they're probably naturally less thirsty due to not needing the extra water that they're now getting from the wet food. :fish:

It's different with my cats these days but with Brian he'd pee and poo once a day each, which made things super simple to keep an eye on. However, he used to occasionally cry out loudly before he went to the box, but at irregular intervals. I mentioned this to the vet on many visits and was sent home with urine sampling kits to take home samples (not a straightforward task). Anyway, nothing suspicious was ever found, though I now keep in a bag of urine sampling balls :frustrated:in the cupboard just in case {even though Brian is no longer here}.

I now keep an actual book diary for Parker and Dudley, which came in handy when I wrote it all down on paper from my computer diary when Parker was back and forth to the vet for symptoms caused by a tapeworm that he brought with him from his birth home. When I wrote it down, it was startling just how many symptoms and vet visits he'd had in such a short space of time (I got him at 14 weeks and he was well over 5 months old when I finally got a tapeworm tablet from a vet).

I also write down both their weights with date in the book from time to time. As well as adding my own notes on their vaccination books.

:deal:

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody for your diary keeping suggestions and feedback! I'm going to start doing that as well.

Sorry I've been away. I think the state I was in made it easier to catch this human bug going around. I've been trying to sleep it off and get better for everybody's sake.

The boys seem to be doing well overall. Still dealing with some intermittent explosive gassy poops, though, from Oct/Nov. Not sure what that's about as fecal and labs came back negative. We did a course of Panacur just in case though. They've been having soft yet forming stool, with some runny squirts in there, too. Very frustrating. I wish we knew how to make it better. I don't like knowing their tummies are sore and such. I'd imagine it's uncomfortable for them anyway. Next step would be the T. Foetus test, but I can't get a sample at home, and I'm reluctant to board them at the Vet just for that given the stress it'll cause them. Plus, I'm hesitant about the treatment for that as well. Ugh.

Worry wart or worry pot, much? Haha

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom :)

Do you mean giving them more of the dry kibble again to firm things up? I had suspected it was giving them the runs as they were eating lots of it. We went through prescription and limited ingredient diets, which didn't change things. So I went back to their original kibble (Orijen Cat & Kitten) as it seems far better than the stuff I tried in case it was a good intolerance/allergy. They're also eating the following for wet food: Natural Balance platefuls (mostly the poultry flavours) and Wellness chicken and turkey.

The Vet made a good point, as in, it's odd that they're both experiencing the same symptoms at the same time. They're not litter mates, so any kind of genetic predisposition would be unlikely. And what are the chances of both developing GI disorders or intolerances at the same time? More likely they're passing a parasite or worm or something back and forth due to sharing bowls and litter boxes, and fecal tests just haven't caught anything yet.

I don't know :( all I do know is that it's frustrating and a mystery thus far. As much as I'd like to get to the bottom of it with the Vets, it's the only issue they're experiencing. Otherwise, they're all good. I don't want them stoically suffering, though.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Does their recent bout of the runs tie in with their increase in wet food? As far as I'm concerned it takes any cat's tummy a while to settle down and get used to increased wet food, and so maybe slow down the rate of your swapping their dry to wet. I'm about to up my twos wet food but they both have delicate tummies and so will go at their 'runs rate', if you catch my meaning.

I hope you're feeling better. It sound as though things get really stressful for you, which I can relate to. I'm glad that you all have each other.

:grouphug:

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Brian007 Brian007 . I've been steadily increasing the wet to dry ratio. They've had this issue intermittently for about a year, and then the gassy element plus increased alarm came in late last year. My gut (ha!) is telling me there's something else at play, though.

The biggest challenge for me is balancing their well-being with trying to figure out what the heck is causing these symptoms. They seem happy and healthy otherwise, so I don't know if I should leave it be, yet still monitor, of course, for any changes needing further Vet attention.

Other than my mother, they're all I've got. I want them happy, healthy and around for as long as possible :) I love them very much.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, in that case, I'd be inclined to follow your gut feeling that parasites might be involved. Have they been wormed for tapeworm as well as roundworm? This involves two separate medicines, as roundworm medicine doesn't kill tapeworm.

Both sets of worm can lay dormant either inside the body or outside as part of the flea/larvae/worm life cycle, and lurk undetected by laboratory tests. If you suspect worms, which can cause intermittent symptoms, then you really need to suspect fleas also, even if you haven't seen any. And as well as double worming, I recommend a monthly vet prescribed flea treatment for at least three months, and to hot wash your boys' bedding and do regular thorough vacuuming, to break the reinfection cycle and rid yourselves of pests.

I suffered a 'bad reaction' (we'll call it) to clothes moth larvae a couple of years ago, and so I know about your recent similar 'bad reaction' to suspected worm infestation. But just because we're paranoid doesn't mean the blighters aren't out to get us!

:popworm:

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
meowmylexi meowmylexi , We started giving our guys Halo brand (Spot's Stew) turkey dry food for sensitive stomach--this is as a small snack only, not free fed. They eat 90% wet food, and our boy with previous urinary issues is on Royal Canin SO (prescrip wet food). He never gets dry food. Just thought I'd throw the brand name & variety out there in case you're looking for something to try. Best of luck, try not to worry.