Male Cat Has Not Urinated In Two Days? No Other Symptoms

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody,

I haven't posted on here since I first signed up years ago, but I visit the forums often as questions arise. I find them informative and helpful and calming at times.

I'll start off by saying that I think I'm having some anxiety issues again, and hope they're not making things worse for my furbabies (as they did back in Oct/Nov of last year, but we got/are getting through it).

Apologies for the long post...

I've been home for a few months now and have become familiar with my cats' patterns. Everything seems normal, good and healthy appetite, water/hydration, play time, nap times around the same time of day, and consistent litter box deposits (with chronic intermittent diarrhea/sometimes explosive gassy loose stools with small formed snaky poops, but that's another issue that's been addressed and ongoing under Vet care).

In the last two days, I've seen both cats use the litter boxes. I tend to scoop a few minutes after each use (as long as it's daytime or when I'm otherwise awake) as I'm kinda paranoid, you could say, about bacteria and parasites and such (every since Oct/Nov due to poop issues above) thriving or multiplying in there since they share boxes. So for one cat, Rosco, I've seen him and he's left pee and poo deposits. For my other cat, Leo, I've only ever caught him after poo, not pee. However, there was a pee deposit just now and yesterday morning, but I didn't see which one left it.

Both cats are napping now as they usually do this time of day. They had some kibble this morning - my mom gives them 'breakfast' since my wake times are most challenging/inconsistent right now, and opening cans is challenging for her hand issues. And the rest of the day they eat wet food that I portion out for them. Appetites are normal. Water consumption is variable, but that's normal for them as well. (Sometimes they drink a lot, other times not so much, but we see them drinking.) Behaviour is normal - no lethargy, aggressiveness, seeking shelter at unusual times or in other places, etc. And most of all, when I have either seen or heard litter box use, there hasn't been any crying out or straining or repeat trips with no result. Pee deposits in the clumping litter have been a consistent golf ball or hand palm size, and I haven't seen any blood or colour otherwise.

Should I be worried about any urinary issues? Back in Oct/Nov, the Vets found no parasites (but we did a course of Panacur) and blood/urine labs came back normal. I'm thinking of submitting another fecal sample from each to address the poop issues, but I'm not sure if my anxiety is making it seem like Leo isn't peeing or something else is actually going on. What if the 'mystery' deposits are his (while I'm asleep/not hearing it happen) and I'm almost freaking out for nothing? Which would cause them stress, too.

I think I'm looking out for all the typical signs as I'm aware that urinary blockage can be fatal for cats, especially males, if not attended to immediately. Every since Oct/Nov I've been trying to increase wet food and decrease dry (with goal of eliminating dry) as I've been reading lots on here and catinfo.org about that topic.

Any insight or words of wisdom? Had Leo been displaying other symptoms and I for sure knew those 'mystery' deposits weren't his, I'd be with him at the Vet right now.

Thank you so much for reading & I appreciate any kind of response. Have a wonderful day!

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Male cats are prone to urethral blockages because they have longer urethras, and a blockage can happen quickly. This happened to a former male cat of mine and I can honestly say it came out of the blue, with no other indications that he was unwell until he reached critical illness.

If I were you, I would take him to an emergency clinic now for an x-ray to determine if there is a blockage. It'll come up as a string of crystals in the urethra. A partially blocked urethra can be catheterized but it's near impossible once blocked. If this is a blockage, the longer it goes on the greater risk of damage to his kidneys. My cat ended up in a regional veterinary surgical center for a week and I saved his life to the tune of $5000.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess anything is possible, but I haven't seen anything - that is, he's usually pretty visible all day and I haven't stepped on any wet patches either. The few times there has been outer box activity, it happened literally right outside the box. That was a while ago and due to my depression which meant I wasn't keeping up with cleaning duties (ie scooping once a day or day and half, letting litter run low, etc.)

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
jinxybean:

That's what I'm afraid of, if this sort of thing can pop up without other signs. I'll have to prepare us for a visit to the ER. My heart is racing now.

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom:

Thank you. I will the Vet as well. I'm trying to stay as calm as possible, but it's hard.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:heartshape:

Deep breathes.

:grouphug:

Is your mum with you right now? I don't think you should be alone. But, we are here with you. I promise.

I expect you're experiencing paranoia and are on heightened alert. I recommend that you phone a vet and ask for advice but that you don't rush out of the door to emergency care, unnecessarily. Can your mum phone a vet on your behalf?

That Leo isn't crying or straining is a great sign. And that he's shown no signs whatsoever that he needs a pee is even better. I know how worried you are but you must take a step back and keep calm.

Brian was poisoned by antifreeze and died after two days in the hospital. I know how panicked I was when I phoned the vet. I couldn't drive him to them as I was so distressed and had to get them to bring an ambulance car out to collect him. So, I know how you must be feeling, whether Leo has an obstruction or not.

x

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jinxybean:

That's what I'm afraid of, if this sort of thing can pop up without other signs. I'll have to prepare us for a visit to the ER. My heart is racing now.
I send you and your furry baby my love. :) It's going to be okay, and you will feel a great rush of relief if this turns out to be a bladder infection and not a blockage. If it is a blockage, caught early on it should be a reasonably easy treatment and recovery. The fact he is not in pain is a good sign!

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
meowmylexi meowmylexi I just dealt with this last weekend. To maybe ease your mind-it was a crystal in his urine. They sedated Charlie and drained his kidneys and bladder. He came home with me and with some vet meds and lots of TLC, he is great! Went for a follow up yesterday and he’s off meds and doing fine.

Let me know how all goes and if you need anything I’m here. I also got some natural supplement ideas from my vet if you’re interested in the info.

Take deep breaths, snuggle with your fur baby and the vet will take care of the rest.

Charlie and I are thinking of you both:rbheart:

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all, for responding and for your support :heartshape:

I called our Vet and have an appointment in an hour should I need it. That said, it's more of a better safe than sorry type of appointment.

My mom doesn't think we need it and she thinks Leo is fine and it's just my anxiety again. I've had a good cry already and my inner worry wart says take him in, but the rest of me says wait because he might very well have been the one who peed while I wasn't there to see. Also, Vet visits stress him out to no end which might make nothing seem worse, if you know what I mean. And the Vet he would be seeing isn't one of his two regular ones and isn't as gentle as they are either. He's good but not my preference.

Plus, we just got an extreme cold weather warning, and as we don't drive/have a vehicle, I'd be exposing him to the cold which I'm not comfortable doing considering he's otherwise showing no signs of distress.

Both of them had some lunch and then Leo asked for petting which I happily obliged. Now he's napping as usual at this time of day. And Rosco had some play time with me and he too is chilling near us now.

I think I'm going to call off the Vet appointment. There isn't enough evidence to support me distressing him and exposing him to the freezing temperatures. At least I know I can take him to ER should anything change though as for sure I'll be monitoring him.

Will keep you all posted. Thank you again!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good, I'm ever so relieved for you all. Having the appointment will be like having a mental crutch for the next wee while, so I wouldn't cancel it until the last minute, just to be on the safe side, and keep you at your ease.

:vibes::hugs:

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. The Vet receptionist just called me back before I could call to cancel. She said she had a talk with the team and because they close in an hour, if anything were actually wrong, they wouldn't have time to treat (makes sense but at same time, isn't that how it goes, you stay to treat? Anyway...) and given how Leo doesn't do well away from home, it might make things worse to have to go from there to ER. As weird as that seemed, it does make sense, too. So I appreciate that frankness and information vs finding out on the spot, I suppose.

That said, I'll be keeping a close eye and will hightail it out of here should anything change for the worse or I start seeing symptoms or signs of distress.

Thank you all again & I'll be in touch

jinxybean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I completely understand not taking him out in the freezing cold, especially if you are unsure and the experience is hard for your kitty. Do you have an extra cat pan or can you make a makeshift one? Quarantine him in a bedroom with a pan and food/water so you may monitor his output with certainty. You can always make an appointment again if things don't seem right. :)

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brian007 Brian007 Furballsmom Furballsmom Aww, well, I like worrypots - makes me feel not alone :)

jinxybean jinxybean I used to have extra pans, rather, the ones that I used to use, but I tossed them shortly after heavy washing and then ultimately buying new ones. (From thinking maybe they weren't clean enough after parasite treatment a couple of months ago.)

Also, I learned that Leo and Rosco don't like being separated either. Leo took to under the bed for hours and didn't eat or drink when I had to separate them last time. He had a cone and was dripping poo, so I tried to keep him contained into one area for everybody's sake. And Rosco was crying outside the door the entire time. It was so heartbreaking, I couldn't keep it up. I'm such a sucker for them. They've trained me well.

You're all so wonderful, thank you!