Male Black Cat Acting As Though Choking

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a male black cat about 6 years old...He is wretching like he has to throw up and swallowing hard like something is in his throat....Anyone got any ideas about whats going on with him...He is also a little lethargic.

Kind of acts like a hairball that will not come up..I don't know.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With the hard swallowing, if he doesn't bring up a hairball very soon, and if he is having trouble breathing, you really need to get him in to a vet, asap. It might be something small, but ANY time breathing is compromised, the longer you wait, the worse off you are.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
could be a hairball, could be something lodged in his throat, or any number of other things. No way to know without a vet visit. I would recommend a vet visit for your guy. Sooner the better! Do keep us updated on him! :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the hard swallowing, if he doesn't bring up a hairball very soon, and if he is having trouble breathing, you really need to get him in to a vet, asap. It might be something small, but ANY time breathing is compromised, the longer you wait, the worse off you are.
I kind of over stated that hard breathing in a panic I guess...He's not breathing hard but you can hear a wheeze so I am guessing it maybe a URI....I brought in a stray 2 weeks ago with a URI so he's probably got it from the kitten.

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
could be a hairball, could be something lodged in his throat, or any number of other things. No way to know without a vet visit. I would recommend a vet visit for your guy. Sooner the better! Do keep us updated on him! :crossfingers:
He's got a vet visit schedule for in the morning....Just hope I don't lose him before then..I will not bring anymore stray cats home I am done with that.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great. Sounds like chances are a URI, due to the kitten. Vet visit should get him on the road to recovery! sending him good vibes :vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bringing in strays is a wonderful, loving thing to do...just make sure to put them into quarantine until a vet trip can be arranged! Let us know what that vet says!

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bringing in strays is a wonderful, loving thing to do...just make sure to put them into quarantine until a vet trip can be arranged! Let us know what that vet says!
Yeah I know it is..But when you don't have the money and have to borrow in order to take one to a vet it gets costly...But this little guy is special because I always wanted a black cat and he's the first one I have ever had...I cannot describe what this cat means to me.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
We understand Scat. Many people can afford to take in stray cats. But one kitty is enough to say you are making a difference, saving lives, and being a good parent to the world's best kind of pet.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You need a more definitive answer. Why did the vet only say "possible" instead of an actual diagnosis?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, good. Something that is fairly easily fixable! I'm so happy that is was this simple. If you hit snags with recovery, let us know. Once we know what is wrong, we can help with lots of tricks and tips.

Yeah I know it is..But when you don't have the money and have to borrow in order to take one to a vet it gets costly...But this little guy is special because I always wanted a black cat and he's the first one I have ever had...I cannot describe what this cat means to me.
I'm so glad that you finally have your black cat! And I also know about vet bills. For future reference, here are a couple of articles that give some good ideas for assistance when needed:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Financial Help For Cat Care.

Scat Man

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need a more definitive answer. Why did the vet only say "possible" instead of an actual diagnosis?
I guess because by the time I got him there he had some sort of miraculous recovery....I don't know...I have been using this same vet for 15+ years I do not feel I need a second opinion...But thanks for the advice and I will take it under advisement..

My cats temp was elevated above normal. And bring in a stray kitten with URI kinda makes the diagnosis easy in this case because I have had the cat 6 years and he has never ever been sick. One of the few that does not require vet trips....he is probably the most maintenance free cat I have ever owned.

He is also black so it keeps most of the voodoo away from him....But he is my buddy till the end.