making window screens safe

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How can I make my window screens safe for my cats?

I am on the third floor and they can pop out real easy. The actual screen tears away from the frame also. I am afriad to leave them open but have no air conditioner in the house. I want my cats to enjoy the fresh air also.

What can I do? I am not very creative
and was hoping someone would be able to over advice.

It makes me crazy!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live on a 3rd floor too and understand why you need to find a safe solutions for your kitties.

My screens done with pet screen but the reality is....
they are only as safe as the frames.
I think that most determined cats can push out a frame.

Cats can get though almost anything.
What ever you decide on, it must be totally cat proof.

For my bedroom window at night, I have a small lock ( got it a Lowes) on my sliding bedroom window.
I leave it open about an inch. I don't trust my cat with any more room then that.

Good luck

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a friend whose cat fell out of a second story window and broke his leg. He was so pathetic in that cast! He was pretty young and in shape when that happened, and when he was recovering, he couldn't move around as much and put on a lot of weight. Now, about 7 or 8 years later, his leg is fine, but he never lost the weight, even with weight loss food and everything.

Anyway, I'm on the second floor too, and Albus has popped our screen out. He didn't fall or anything- he was sitting in the window, got scared by a loud noise and pushed off the screen to launch into the room. We probably have the same, old, crappy screens that you do that pop out in a stiff wind. I've been thinking about getting a more rigid metal screen- more like a grate than a screen- or something to put on the inside so air can still move through and Albus can still look out, but it's more secure.

Hmm, after doing some searching online, it seems like most of the results are more like grates for window wells. I'll look around some more.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have that concern as well. When we leave the apartment, we only have the windows open about 2" for air.
It's a very real concern as one of our cats managed to push the screen door off it's frame, so a little window would'nt take much effort.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby gates work great on sliding windows.
You can also get wooden lattice, build a frame around it probably from 1x2s and drop it in the window track and slide the window tight against it to hold it in.
With either solution use a dowel in the track on the backside to lock the window in place.

I have use both of these methods way back when I was an apartment dweller.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought an adjustable screen that goes in between the window and the sill. It provides another layer of screen, but most importantly it keeps my two from getting close enough to the outermost screen and pushing on it.

I got them at Walmart & Lowes, but I'm sure lots of hardware stores have them.

http://www.qualitywindowscreen.com/a...w-screens.html

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We open our windows from the top instead of the bottom. We still get fresh air but don't have to worry about the boys pushing the screens through.

Leslie

hartofnc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A solution depends on how big your cat is and if they are hitting the window at full steam. We have Sears slider windows. Out daughter's big male hit the window at about 20mph, popped the screen, and went right though the window to the ground outside to get to the birds. Fortunately the window was on the first floor!

Solution 1.

You can put slider stops on your windows so they only open a few inches. This is the easiest solution but limits your air flow. You'd have to limit the opening to an inch or two. Cats can get through really small spaces if they want. Just do a search in your browser on "window slider stops" for more information

2. A company in England sells a solution based on industrial velcro that is sewn to something that looks like heavy duty pvc tent screen fabric. You apply velcro strips around your window. The tent screening edges have velcro which you use to keep you cat from getting to the screen but allow air (and smells) into the house. This is ok for a small cat or one that isn't going to use it's claws to get out, or doesn't hit the window at a full charge.

3. A grate of some type (go to Lowes or Home Depot) is probably the safest (and least pretty) solution. Screw two hanging hooks at the top for the grate to rest on. This also make it easy to put on and take off in case of an emergency. For the bottom two mount points you could use a variety of mounts including straps. If you have kids you'd want to make it child proof, but removable in case of an emergency.

Cats are smart and have claws and can work at stuff. Your solution needs to be better than your cat's ability to figure it out.

Regards,

Joe Hart

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use those adjustable sliding screens meant for windows that don't have a screen. I put them in any open window... It reinforces the existing screen. I usually secure with duct tape so I can remove them in winter.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your window casement have a slot on each side which you slide the frame into? It should be located somewhere on upper portion of the window on each side. They're usually made out of aluminium and can bend/break so replace them if need be. Also make sure they're are the correct height. If they're too high up the casement then it will allow more flex in the frame. You could lower them an inch or so but not soo low that you can't get the screen on.

How old are the screens themselves? The fiberglass become brittle with age and can tear. Sames goes with the tabs. If they're really tight they can also deform or break.

You may want to try to find a heavier gauge screen and just use your existing frame. A repair kit (new tabs, screws for tab anchors, nail and metal slots) runs about $2. The screen, gasket material and screen tool run about another $50.

Screen repair is very easy.

Another option is to buy/build a window box for cats. Then you can use heavier gauge screen such as chicken wire or the like.

jennifersbar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 pound ragdoll just went through the window with the screen.  We just put in brand new windows and I was so happy they all came with screens.  Well there were crows out there I guess she wanted to get.  She landed on the huge hydrangea bush.  Now looking for something so this never happens again.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm on the third floor too and have screens which are secure and not difficult to make at all. If you want I could do a how to?

What are your windows like, do you have a sill?

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What type of windows and window 'space' do you have? I've got both aluminium, with a slot to put a screen in and old wooden ones with no space at all. My windows are all set in so I have a windowsill on the outside surrounded by walls.

The hardest part is fixing the screens. For the aluminium (and pvc) if they have the gap it's really easy.

To make the screens you need your choice of netting. For example I wanted to keep wee beasties out so I got white, plastic mosquito net. If you don't have that problem you can get larger netting in metal which is stronger. I'd avoid fibreglass, it can be flakey if scratched and apparently can become brittle in the sun.

To make the frames you just need some wood, I used 27mm x 15mm because it was in a cheap bundle. You need to measure and make the frame slightly bigger than the lip it will sit behind to keep it in place.

Here's the video I followed it's in Spanish but you get the idea. I just had a big hand stapler and put more staples in for security. Then bash it in.
For my wooden windows I wanted my cats to be able to sit out on the windowsill so they have their own space and tele so I fixed them up like so This way you only need four holes to secure the frame. Two at the bottom and two near the top, they can't push it out and it's easy to remove should you need to repair or if you move.

On the side of the flat without the balcony I've put slide bolts on the bottom so I can nose out if need be.

Let me know if you need anything more/made clearer!

michaelmperez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Curious to know what has finally happened with your windows. With more opinions pouring in, this discussion is really intersting and happening.  I was thinking on a different line. What if we opt for double or single hung tilt windows? Wouldn't that be a great  option? It allows the natural lighting,  aeration  and what not. I dont think your pet would adventure squeezing through the sliding tilts You won't be robbed off the natural ambience outside which is quite evident in the case of window screens.  Though, I am not averse to window screens  

Last edited by a moderator:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a very old thread, recently revived, so that the majority of previous posters will probably not see it or answer. But I want to comment on the tilt window. I had these in a rented house, and my cats very quickly learned how to squeeze through them, if necessary by jumping onto the top of the wooden frames. I would never recommend putting them in if you have cats. Now I have metallic mosquito mesh in wooden frames, hinged with bolts so they can be opened if necessary. I find that the mesh needs replacing every 3-4 years.

soapmuseum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did this with my windows and it works great since my cats kept pushing the screen open. Go to Lowes or HD and get some plastic trellis. Cut it to fit snugly within the windows inside size so that it has to be bent to insert it. Since it's plastic, it's easy to bend but when the window is down, all 4 sides are supported making it very sturdy. It also looks nice. My neighbors actually thought it was a window dressing.
IMG_9964.jpg