Make cat less bitey?

saharahoshi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we are the midst of an introduction saga. Our 1 year old, Jellybean has a HIGH play drive and we try to accomodate that as much as possible to prevent play-aggression. We also have a recent thing where he seems to be possibly having petting-induced aggression but the problem is I'm not seeing the tell-tale signs of the aggression, swishing tail, ears slightly back, etc. I read Cat Vs. Cat and I try to gently dislodge by hand and then disengage, walk away, avoid eye contact, if there is a kickaroo or kick-stick around I try to replace that/reattract his attention. We have every holistic remedy under the sun. Since we are still introducing the cats, he doesn't have another kitty to kind of keep his teenager tendencies in check. Is there anything else I could try? Pam Johnson Bennett also suggested a small bell or noise to redirect their attention or a small can of air (not sprayed at the cat) to divert their attention. Thoughts?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The idea of a sound like "owww" is good. With dogs, a "puppy yipe" which is what the mom does if the dog bites while he nurses usually stops them in their tracks. Was Jellybean a rescue who never has siblings to play with? Jamie was found by me at 4 weeks alone in a wood pile and as he recovered and grew he was the world's best biter, shredder, ripper that you ever saw. It was so bad that I was going to work all shredded on my arms and I actually bought a pair of welding gloves so that he would learn that he could only wrestle with the gloves. That, by the way, is not a solution as hands should never be a source of play for an animal, but an illustration of how bad it was.

Overstimulation by petting is pretty common in cats. Always walk away. Everything ends when the biting starts and I don't mean for just a minute or two, but maybe for a while so that there is some connection with what just happened.

I am not clear on whether or not you have another cat who might become JB's friend which would be a good thing. In Jamie's case, I ultimately brought in two feral sisters who had been with their siblings for as long as cats should be and were excellent wrestlers. Basically they hand Jamie his rear end and walk away but he became completely preoccupied with playing with them and everything was ultimately solved.