Maka's Eyes

sarcasticallyxyours

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(I appear to be having an issue trying to upload a photo so please forgive the absence of a visual, I will try to upload one from my computer tonight.)

We brought our new kitten home from the shelter on Wednesday. Her name is Maka and she will be 5 months old on the 11th. Although Maka is quite possibly the friendliest cat I've met in my entire life, it seems that nobody wanted me to adopt her because she has what the shelter believed are eye ulcers, causing her eyes to appear cloudy. They said she arrived at their shelter when she was about 2 months old and her eyes were like that. They guess, based on cats they've seen before, that Maka had an infection that created these ulcers. She seems to see perfectly fine (can follow a laser around the room) and is not bothered by them. They do tear a lot so I wipe her face gently with a warm wash cloth once a day.

Does anyone know more about eye ulcers in cats? Is there something to do for it? The shelter said typically this type of thing is just left alone. We have an appointment to have her spayed on February 4th and plan to ask the vet more questions at that time, but we are just looking to see what information might be out there about this type of thing. Thank you in advance!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this excellent article for you (and I'm beginning to really like that pet health site):
Corneal Ulcers in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

The upshot is that eye ulcers can be caused by MANY things, MOST of them very treatable, but if not treated can lead to blindness. Give your vet a call and see if your kitten can be seen sooner than next month. Eyes shouldn't be risked unnecessarily, to my way of thinking. I am hoping that the shelter did check to make sure that there is no ongoing current issue, but they are chronically overworked and understaffed. Now, should it not be possible to treat, and should your kitten lose her sight, keep in mind that a blind cat is NOT a miserable cat, and with just a few accomdations, can live a very long and happy life! Toys that jingle and such are wonderful, for instance. But let's hope that Maka won't have further or increasing issues!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
she has what the shelter believed are eye ulcers, causing her eyes to appear cloudy.
I think the key word is - the shelter "believed" she has eye ulcers which means they think but are not sure. I'm glad you have an appointment with your vet on Feb. 4th. Hopefully he or she will be able to give you a more definitive diagnosis and remedy. We had a previous Persian cat who scratched his cornea and our vet recommended taking him to an animal ophthalmologist. With the proper diagnosis and treatment he made a full recovery.

I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :welcomesign: Thank you for rescuing Maka and giving her a forever home. :hearthrob: When you are able to upload a pic we'd love to see her, you can post it here: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarcasticallyxyours

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Got the picture to work! Thank you all for responding! After doing a little more research I'm starting get a little more concerned for her long term eye health, so I'm seeing if I can get an earlier appointment with her new vet (February 4th appointment is back at the shelter to have her rescheduled spay that they are paying for). Thank you everyone! I've had cats before but never been a true cat mommy, now like a cat sister lol

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is a doll, and when you get her eyes taken care of, she will be a real beauty...well...they are ALL beautiful, in my book!

OH...and once you've made a few posts, you'll notice an "Edit" button will pop up after your posts, making corrections a bit easier! It's my favorite button, since, no matter how carefully I THINK I have proof-read, I always find something once I've hit "Post Reply"!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarcasticallyxyours

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I was looking for an edit button lol we are seeing the vet next Saturday. Maybe they'll be able to fix her eyes but even if they always appear this way she is my little princess and I love her so much

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And that is just as it should be! The Queen of my Heart is curled up in her heated bed, which sits on the daybed in my office in easy reach for the occasional (frequent) demands for attention and love.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just followed you here from Maka's Meet Maka! thread.

Crossing my fingers again that the vet will have a treatment plan for her eyes. :crossfingers: And if not, she's super lucky she was adopted by caring "parents" who love her just the way she is. :hearthrob: Please post again after her vet appointment. :catrub: