Maine Coon "teen" Lost Appetite

Paddycat2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Maine Coon will celebrate his first birthday on April 30. He's long and lanky and weighs over 15 pounds. Until the last few weeks, he's had a voracious appetite. Lately, he picks at his food and turns his nose up at a past favorite. Other than his lack of appetite, he seems 100% his normal self. He is drinking more water (perhaps because he's suddenly not eating his wet food). He has also become aware of outdoor neighbor cats who like to lounge on our deck.

I live in a rural area. We have limited options for veterinary care. I'll be honest...I don't have a lot of trust in our clinic. My last cat, (a big, sweet gray tabby named Paddy), was ill for months. Every time I took him in to see if the cause could be identified, we came home with no answers. I lost him in February 2021 due to cancer of the liver that was only identified in the last weeks of his life.

Is loss of appetite a normal part of growing up for Maine Coons?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Loss of appetite is a sign for concern. I'd at least give the vet a call to discuss the appetite. All vets are able to consult with a veterinary school or other vet hospital for more help in diagnosing head scratching cases.

The outdoor cat may be stressing out your cat. Can you cover the door to the deck with curtains or something so your cat can't see the other cat? Or discourage the outdoor cat from your deck in some way? There are motion sensor devices that may work.