Maine Coon Or Savannah

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ahh yeah that would make them bigger f4 savannah with serval but probably less tamed for now

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first mean thought is buy a shotgun and shoot the dog if it comes on your land. It isn't the dogs fault it is the owners. My advice would be to keep your cats indoor only, build them a catio, fence in all or some of the yard so your cat has a safe dog free place to be.:lovecat3:

Also because I'm kinda witchy any dog that entered onto my land I would leash and take 'this stray I found wandering around' to the pound. I would tell my neighbors my no returns policy first. I would probably post signs saying it to. Like I said I'm kinda witchy :soapbox:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first mean thought is buy a shotgun and shoot the dog if it comes on your land. It isn't the dogs fault it is the owners. My advice would be to keep your cats indoor only, build them a catio, fence in all or some of the yard so your cat has a safe dog free place to be.:lovecat3:

Also because I'm kinda witchy any dog that entered onto my land I would leash and take 'this stray I found wandering around' to the pound. I would tell my neighbors my no returns policy first. I would probably post signs saying it to. Like I said I'm kinda witchy :soapbox:

i have a hate for most dogs so many good cats iv had died form dogs as a kid then when these dogs attacked my cat months back out of rage i kicked him theyd sit outside my camper every night just hoping my cat would o out so they could hurt it hes so innocent he wont even attack mice or bugs.

the people who own the dogs dont care they told me t shoot them lol the police wont do anything theres o shelters here and i dont own a gun my landlord told me t buy a gun but idk to do tbh. its getting out of hand i throw rocks at them when they come into my land they havent been coming as much lately though which is good

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You say you move every six months. And you currently have a cat that goes everywhere with you. That's great, but I'm not sure bringing another animal, especially one of the 'wilder' ones, is such a good idea. And it seems you have very limited space?

Antarcticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You say you move every six months... I'm not sure bringing another animal, especially one of the 'wilder' ones, is such a good idea.
This is a really good point. Savannahs and Bengals are both notorious for struggling to adapt to travel and new environments; mine's four and a half months old and I take him out a few times a week just to get him used to the concept as well as possible. If you aren't able to get one at a very young age, this is one of many hybrid breed-specific challenges that'd be tough to accommodate in a very transient lifestyle.

If you want a big cat, go with a Maine Coon. I've never had one personally but the two my neighbor owns are some of the mellowest, friendliest cats I've ever met.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Matt1991, I apologize if I sound like I'm being difficult, but I want to be sure that you have all the information about hybrid cats before spending $8000-$15000 on a Savannah.

- they're prone to spraying, even if they're spayed/neutered
- they are more likely to bite
- even spayed/neutered, Savannahs are known for loud howling throughout the night

Edit: the link I posted didn't work, so I removed it.

Savannahs are a Serval hybrid. Servals have never been domesticated. Bengals, on the other hand, are an Asian Leopard Cat hybrid. ALCs are tamer than Servals in the first place, and we're actually domesticated by the Chinese 5000 years ago.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol where i live i have 100 pound pot belly pigs come into my yard to sniff for scraps of food i throw out for them we got chickens pigs all kinds animals run around this country neighborhood i have 3 acres of land t my house just me so a savannah would be n paradise here tbh if i did decide to go that route but not sure how long ill be here

i guess reason i really wana big tough cat is cause lots of dog owners dont care what there dogs do. iv had dogs attack my cat, and them say ohh well too bad. my cat was in shock one night cause he got out of my camper i was staying in one night.

i heard screaming from under neigh. i ran outside in pitch black night and screamed for him. and he finally came to me .2 dogs were after him, his thick fur saved him from getting bit deeply and he didnt even wana move for 2 days.

i was so mad i hate how cats are defenseless against dogs. and people think its funny when dogs chase cats and hurt them. down here in the south, there is no respect for cats it seems. so i want a cat that would mess a dog up if it tried to attack it.
Maybe just work a little harder to make sure the cat doesn't get outside? It sure sounds like, where you are living now for the moment, it's pretty dangerous for an outdoors cat. Best way to keep your cat(s?) safe from the dogs affecting your life is to keep cats indoors.

Dogs like ones you are describing seem to be a product of their humans uncaring attitude. You don't have to hate all dogs just because of these particular dogs...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think having 2 house cats in 1 RV would be tough, let alone a Savannah. You can buy plastic netting & large/tall poles for fairly cheap to make a temporary fence. That should keep the roaming dogs out. Compared to the cost of a Savannah a portable fence is cheap :) Here are some ideas I found online. No one is saying don't get a Savannah. We are saying make sure you have your place set up for a Savannah BEFORE you get one. Who knows maybe in 5 years you will be in the perfect position to own a Savannah? Also god forbid your Savannah injured or killed a dog, their owners could sue you. (Some people have to give their dogs up to a no kill dog shelter out of town or put their dog down after it kills another person's dog or cat.)

16 Panel Heavy Duty Metal Cage Crate Pet Dog Cat Fence Exercise Playpen Kennel | eBay

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/advantek-select-pet-gazebo-lifestyle-cover-orange

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Biased me says get a Maine Coon or maybe a......Maine Coon, or possibly a.......Maine Coon. They're the perfect cat. told you I was biased.
Biased? You??? No way!!!:lol::lol::lol:
I want to say something in favour of Savannahs, because some people posting here have been quite critical and almost hateful, based in what seems opinions with no relation to empirical experience.
A well socialized Savannah from a good, ethical breeder, will not be "agressive" or "dangerous", because that cat would be bred from cats with good temper. The fact that there are unethical breeders selling cats that have not been socialized, have not stayed for long enough with their mothers and whose parents have not gone through any selection process, says nothing about the breed, but just about the results of unethical breeding. I have seen agressive cats from "domestic" breeds with no hybridation excuse, and I am sure most of you have too.
Savannahs are intelligent and active cats that can be great pets, friends and companions, and anyone watching YouTube videos about this breed for half an hour should know this. Some not so ethical breeders of traditional domestic breeds have been making bad propaganda about bengals and savannahs, scared by the sudden popularity of these new "intruders".
As for spraying, my early neutered Siamese X cat seems to be unable to stop doing it, with no Serval blood in him, so let's not pretend that Savannahs are the only cats on earth with this annoying habit. Anyone aquiring a new cat, whatever the breed, should be ready to deal with this issue (and many, many others).

Antarcticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to say something in favour of Savannahs, because some people posting here have been quite critical and almost hateful, based in what seems opinions with no relation to empirical experience.
Savannahs seriously seem to be the pitbulls of the cat world: there's certainly some things to consider when caring for one, but the bad reputation some people ascribe to them tends to be rooted more in poor socialization and a new owner's unpreparedness to provide appropriate accommodations, rather than anything specifically problematic with the breed-- especially when people start making across-the-board claims about Savannahs that lump F1s and SBTs together.

That being said, hybrid cats in general certainly aren't for everyone, even for some people who think they might like to have one. Just like some people who might like to have a pitbull, husky, or chow chow might not be prepared to have one either.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It doesn't matter what breed of cat you get or how big or fierce it looks. If a cat gets attacked by a dog or pack of dogs it's going to get badly hurt and quite likely killed.

Be a responsible pet guardian, save the money you'd have to spend on an exotic breed and adopt a cat from a shelter. Then make sure that he or she isn't allowed to roam around where they could get hit by a car, shot, attacked by another animal, poisoned or stolen.

Simple!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Biased? You??? No way!!!:lol::lol::lol:
A well socialized Savannah from a good, ethical breeder, will not be "agressive" or "dangerous", because that cat would be bred from cats with good temper. The fact that there are unethical breeders selling cats that have not been socialized, have not stayed for long enough with their mothers and whose parents have not gone through any selection process, says nothing about the breed, but just about the results of unethical breeding. I have seen agressive cats from "domestic" breeds with no hybridation excuse, and I am sure most of you have too.
Savannahs are intelligent and active cats that can be great pets, friends and companions, and anyone watching YouTube videos about this breed for half an hour should know this. Some not so ethical breeders of traditional domestic breeds have been making bad propaganda about bengals and savannahs, scared by the sudden popularity of these new "intruders".
As for spraying, my early neutered Siamese X cat seems to be unable to stop doing it, with no Serval blood in him, so let's not pretend that Savannahs are the only cats on earth with this annoying habit. Anyone aquiring a new cat, whatever the breed, should be ready to deal with this issue (and many, many others).
Hi Alejandra Rico, I'm sorry if I sounded hateful toward Savannahs in any way, they are undeniably beautiful cats and I've heard a lot of good things about them. It sounded like Matt1991 had already heard all about the ways Savannahs can be great pets, so I just want to emphasize that any person who is considering a Savannah (or really any cat for that matter) should get their cat from an experienced breeder who will socialize the cats who well. I feel like a Maine Coon would be a easier cat to care for for a first time cat owner, but a well-socialized Savannah can certainly be a good match for the right owner and home environment. I think a lot of those horror stories of Savannahs we hear are from people who get cats from breeders who don't spend enough time socializing the kittens, or who try to keep their Savannahs in a small apartment without going for walks (they do have greater exercise needs). Matt1991, I'd recommend going to a cat show to meet both Maine Coons and Savannahs to interact with the cats and the breeders and see what kind of cat is best for you and your home environment. And, don't forget to look at other cats too, who knows, you might fall in love with a completely different breed. While you're at it, please also stop by your local shelter, your new furry friend might be waiting for you there!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your research. As far as characteristics and traits? View that as a "guide" in the loosest sense of the term. ALL cats behave differently.
I would "assume", however, that a Maine Coon would be more laid back than a Savannah. OR, lets put it this way. 95 out of 100 Maine Coons will be calmer than most Savannahs. Then again, 5 out of 100 Savannah's might be more laid back than the laziest Maine Coon. (might).
Maine Coon: Inside house cat that goes outside with you.
Savannah: Inside house cat that goes outside while you stay inside clean up the broken stuff. An outdoor enclosure is a must.

Just assume that a Savannah or any hybrid is going to be like a big hyper puppy with no off switch, very selective hearing, with razor sharp claws and teeth. The latter of which they just have no idea how to control while playing. That will be up to you to learn how to avoid.

IMO: what makes a "cat" domestic? One reason only. Most will return home, or hang around and be content about it because you feed it. For this reason? I don't consider my cat domestic in the sense that I would consider a house cat domestic.
Aside from that, he's pretty much like any cat. Just bigger.
OR, just times three. (X3)
His poop is 3x bigger, bites 3x harder, runs 3x faster, jumps 3x higher, purrs 3x louder, growls 3x louder, eats 3x more, and he has 3x worse hearing when it comes to instruction...and the list goes on. And most importantly, he does all that 3x longer.

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, for the love of all things holy, don't get a cat purely based on how cool it looks. You need to do a realistic assessment of your life - lifestyle (are you a party animal or a homebody?), living situation (amount of space, how often you move, etc), other pets you already have, etc etc etc. I think a LOT of animals look cool and would be nice to have, but realistically, they would not be a good fit for my life at this time. Having a Savannah is a huge responsibility, and can also be a liability. It is also illegal to have them in some places so you need to check that out as well. And if you are moving every six months, do you have control over where you're moving? Do you know if the next city will allow them? What will you do if it doesn't? Will you have the time that you need to commit to this animal? Will you make sure to put measures in place to ensure he can't get out? They WILL claw at doors to the point of ruining them in an attempt to get out, and indeed will get out if you are not careful about this.

Frankly, anyone looking for a particular cat for any reason other than it being a companion should spend a really long time thinking about all these questions. Especially if getting a partially wild cat.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, for the love of all things holy, don't get a cat purely based on how cool it looks. You need to do a realistic assessment of your life - lifestyle (are you a party animal or a homebody?), living situation (amount of space, how often you move, etc), other pets you already have, etc etc etc. I think a LOT of animals look cool and would be nice to have, but realistically, they would not be a good fit for my life at this time. Having a Savannah is a huge responsibility, and can also be a liability. It is also illegal to have them in some places so you need to check that out as well. And if you are moving every six months, do you have control over where you're moving? Do you know if the next city will allow them? What will you do if it doesn't? Will you have the time that you need to commit to this animal? Will you make sure to put measures in place to ensure he can't get out? They WILL claw at doors to the point of ruining them in an attempt to get out, and indeed will get out if you are not careful about this.

Frankly, anyone looking for a particular cat for any reason other than it being a companion should spend a really long time thinking about all these questions. Especially if getting a partially wild cat.
I agree with most of that. You need to have your finances in order, be able to provide the cat with what it needs AND what you need, based on what it needs.
We had close to a worst possible scenario, that nobody could have seen coming, and due to this....our reality is very different than what was planned. (much different than most folks with a cat like ours). It may actually be BETTER...But, I'll never know now.
Eating can be expensive, time consuming, stressful.
He eats raw chicken necks and a vitamin supplement. $60 for a years worth of vitamins, $30/month for chicken necks, $10 month for livers/hearts/gizzards. (He averages 1lb per day). He's very food possessive if given chunk meat. SO...we feed him ground meat because he's nice when eating ground meat out of a bowl, and you don't want raw chicken chunks being drug all over you house and under furniture, etc. And if you think you'll just move a chunk of chicken back to the bowl? NO, with a chunk of meat, you'll won't try to take it away more than once. If he drags a nasty chicken neck onto your bed? You will decide that's just fine.
To avoid that, we grind the meat. The grinder was $500 and it takes two of us, three hours to grind/process/make 100lbs of cat food. $100 worth of containers to put it in. $300 for the freezer to store it.
Stressful? You have two weeks worth of food left and order more. It might get here in time, it might not?
Vacations? Those are tricky.....
He will OBLITHERATE toys. And he has to have toys to chew on because they are cheaper than furniture. $10 month.
His outdoor enclosure is now around $5,000 (and that's my labor). My estimates were $10 to $15k to have somebody else build it. Of course, it is considerably larger than most enclosures.
You need to live in one place because you can't be building one of these every few years, UNLESS...your finances enable it. AND....You think a cat is worth that.
The list goes on, but, from there it's typical things you would spend on any pet.

For the record though? He has his own room and our 150 year old French doors that separate his "sun room" from the rest of the house....Are getting ruined.
ON the INSIDE! It's the tabby we catch hanging from the doors and the tabby that's destroying them. There's something about that little bob tail on the other side of the glass that drives the tabby bonkers!! He wants that little waggy tail so bad!! LOL