Maine Coon Or Savannah

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
not sure if this si the right forum to post this but i love big cats id love to have a tiger if i could lol but it looks like a savannah or a servial is the closest domestic animal i can get that wont kill me or my pets im curious if anyone here has any experience with servials savannahs or maine coons?

i know maine coons are playful lazy cats and beautiful cuddly id like to have one and a savannah servial also to eb able to take for walks and go swimming with it and get crazy looks from dog owners who think there dogs are tough lol

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Maine Coons are a lot calmer than Savannahs, because they have no wild blood, but Maine Coons can also be walked. Maine Coons like water as well, and will even follow you into the shower! If you decide on a Maine Coon, be sure that your breeder screens for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.

I've heard that Savannahs can be a lot to handle due to their high energy level and intelligence (I'm talking opening doors, working switches and buttons, turning on and off faucets), that stems from their recent wild roots. Early generation Savannahs also tend to be more aggressive, and even Savannahs who have been fixed could spray because of their wild heritage. If you do decide on a Savannah, I'd recommend getting an F4 generation or later. This is typically how long it takes to get a domestic temperament. Be sure that you also get a Savannah from a reputable breeder who will give you the pedigree. Servals are easier to breed than Savannahs, so a shifty breeder could just give you a Serval and say it's a Savannah (I've heard of that happening before). Servals are actually purely wild cats, who, although they are sometimes kept as pets, are not domestic cats.

Some other breeds with wild looks you might be interested in are the Bengal, and the Ocicat (who was developed to look wild but actually has no wild blood). If you like giant breeds like the Maine Coon, Siberians and Norwegian Forest Cats are other breeds you might be interested in. I'd recommend going to a cat show where you can meet and interact with the cats and meet reputable breeders.

Edit: here's links to the CFA and TICA show schedules:

Show Calendar

tica - TICA Show Calendar

CFA doesn't currently accept Savannahs, so if you want to see those guys, you'll want to go to a TICA show.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it is worth be sure to completely understand how much effort a Savannah takes every day for the next 15-20 years. If you do get a Savannah be sure to pay close attention to which generation they are. Since a Savannah second generation will never be your buddy but a 4th or 5th generation will. So just do your research and make sure your house is set up for Savannah cats before you get one :)

Things you wish you knew before buying a Savannah?

Savannah Cat F Generations Explained What the F mean in Savannah Cats

Savannah cat - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maine Coons are a lot calmer than Savannahs, because they have no wild blood, but Maine Coons can also be walked. Maine Coons like water as well, and will even follow you into the shower! If you decide on a Maine Coon, be sure that your breeder screens for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.

I've heard that Savannahs can be a lot to handle due to their high energy level and intelligence (I'm talking opening doors, working switches and buttons, turning on and off faucets), that stems from their recent wild roots. Early generation Savannahs also tend to be more aggressive, and even Savannahs who have been fixed could spray because of their wild heritage. If you do decide on a Savannah, I'd recommend getting an F4 generation or later. This is typically how long it takes to get a domestic temperament. Be sure that you also get a Savannah from a reputable breeder who will give you the pedigree. Servals are easier to breed than Savannahs, so a shifty breeder could just give you a Serval and say it's a Savannah (I've heard of that happening before). Servals are actually purely wild cats, who, although they are sometimes kept as pets, are not domestic cats.

Some other breeds with wild looks you might be interested in are the Bengal, and the Ocicat (who was developed to look wild but actually has no wild blood). If you like giant breeds like the Maine Coon, Siberians and Norwegian Forest Cats are other breeds you might be interested in. I'd recommend going to a cat show where you can meet and interact with the cats and meet reputable breeders.

Edit: here's links to the CFA and TICA show schedules:

Show Calendar

tica - TICA Show Calendar

CFA doesn't currently accept Savannahs, so if you want to see those guys, you'll want to go to a TICA show.

problem is if i get anything under f2 they start becoming alot smaller. a 4th gen savannah just looks like a big house cat nothing special. especially for that price of a few grand. i wana big cat about 30 pounds if possible .iv seen some tamed servials maybe in a few years the savannahs, servials will be more domesticated since they have been recently bread. on the savannah chart i was told after f2 they start to lose about 5 pounds per generation .

maine coons look cooler to me but they seem like the pugs of cats lazy fat and lovable from what iv seen i have no experience with them i would like one and given they are thousands cheaper can maine coons really go swimming with you?

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aww adorable id love to take a cat swimming with me like a dog lol thats why i wanted savannah or servial as well but im sure servials arnt as loving imagine they mixed a servial with a mainecoon that would be insane

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say that like size matters. It is the personality. I have heard so many Savannah horror stories. If you get to wild of a cat, it will not be a pet. In some ways it easier to get a dog if size is all that matters. My advice? Build a cattio, get a harness & all the cat tree/shelves you can. Then get a tamer Savannah cat. If that goes well then get a wilder one. Though Norwegian Forest cats are amazing :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Matt1991, have you looked into Bengals or Ocicats at all? Bengals are generally much tamer than Savannahs, and Ocicats are purely domestic, but with that wild look it sounds like you like.

Breed Profile: The Ocicat

Breed Profile: The Bengal

Edit: Do you like Bobcats? The American Bobtail, Pixiebob, and Highlander are all cats with short tails, like the Bobcat. Japanese Bobtail too, but they're smaller. American Bobtail, Pixiebobs, and Highlanders are all larger than average cats (about 15-20 pound range, though some may get bigger), and also have a wild look to them, especially the Pixiebob who really has that mini-Bobcat look. These three breeds are more active than Maine Coons, but certainly tamer than Savannahs (they have no wild blood at all). I've had the privilege to meet an American Bobtail breeder at a show. The boy she was showing was around 15 lbs (but only two years old, those breeds keep growing until they're four!) and his favorite activities included going for walks, playing fetch, and even going for swims (one time in the toilet when someone forgot to put the lid down...)

Breed Profile: The American Bobtail

tica - Pixiebob Introduction

tica - Highlander Shorthair-introduction

tica - Highlander-introduction

Some Bengal off-shoot breeds you may be interested in:

tica - Serengeti-introduction

tica - Toyger Introduction

Last edited:

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You say that like size matters. It is the personality. I have heard so many Savannah horror stories. If you get to wild of a cat, it will not be a pet. In some ways it easier to get a dog if size is all that matters. My advice? Build a cattio, get a harness & all the cat tree/shelves you can. Then get a tamer Savannah cat. If that goes well then get a wilder one. Though Norwegian Forest cats are amazing :)

catios are out of the question as my yard has no fences its just 2 n half acres of land all around it and i move usually every 6 months

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Matt1991, have you looked into Bengals or Ocicats at all? Bengals are generally much tamer than Savannahs, and Ocicats are purely domestic, but with that wild look it sounds like you like.

Breed Profile: The Ocicat

Breed Profile: The Bengal

Edit: Do you like Bobcats? The American Bobtail, Pixiebob, and Highlander are all cats with short tails, like the Bobcat. Japanese Bobtail too, but they're smaller. American Bobtail, Pixiebobs, and Highlanders are all larger than average cats (about 15-20 pound range, though some may get bigger), and also have a wild look to them, especially the Pixiebob who really has that mini-Bobcat look. These three breeds are more active than Maine Coons, but certainly tamer than Savannahs (they have no wild blood at all). I've had the privilege to meet an American Bobtail breeder at a show. The boy she was showing was around 15 lbs (but only two years old, those breeds keep growing until they're four!) and his favorite activities included going for walks, playing fetch, and even going for swims (one time in the toilet when someone forgot to put the lid down...)

Breed Profile: The American Bobtail

tica - Pixiebob Introduction

tica - Highlander Shorthair-introduction

tica - Highlander-introduction

Some Bengal off-shoot breeds you may be interested in:

tica - Serengeti-introduction

tica - Toyger Introduction

yeah iw as thinking of getting a bengal but then i saw savannah cats and iw as like wow thats for me!! iv seen some amazing vids online of super rich people having them int here houses playing with dogs and there kids they probably take alot of attention im sure do you think maybe in tge next 50 years of them domesticating servials more that savannah cats maybe more tamed?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would probably wait ten more years for a Savannah if I were you.
Bengals are out of question for you, because they are not Big enough, no matter how "wild" they look, their size is more on the average side than in the big one.
Early generations male Savannahs are usually cheaper than females, because they are sterile and, therefore, are pets only. An F2/F3 would look still biggish, but may be difficult to handle (except for someone like @basscat , of course!). Now, what I would be looking for if I really wanted a Savannah the closest to Serval looks as possible, I would look for an F4/F5 of a "renewed" line (that to say, an F4 female Savannah cross to a Serval male). But that would be just for looks, you know, I wouldn't be sure about behaviour.
Maybe you can find a Savannah Cat forum un which you can read and learn from someone else's experiences.
I personally have a Bengal and, even though she is crazy, she is the cutest and sweetest kitten I've ever had. That makes sense, because the Asian Leopard Cat is nowhere as wild as a Serval Cat (I've recently read an article which demonstrates that it used to be domestic in some areas for a long period but then was subtituted by the easier to breed cats that we have nowadays).
Maine Coon cats are simply amazing. I would surely go for one of them if they were easily available where I live. They are big and well tempered, and so, so beautiful. It is my wish to aquire one of them in some years time.
If you are well experienced and have a talent for dealing with high energy and strong instincts cats (and you can live with a cat spraying your furniture if you are not lucky), then you can consider buying a Savannah after a good year of research about this breed and consulting with experts on their needs and behaviour.

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would probably wait ten more years for a Savannah if I were you.
Bengals are out of question for you, because they are not Big enough, no matter how "wild" they look, their size is more on the average side than in the big one.
Early generations male Savannahs are usually cheaper than females, because they are sterile and, therefore, are pets only. An F2/F3 would look still biggish, but may be difficult to handle (except for someone like @basscat , of course!). Now, what I would be looking for if I really wanted a Savannah the closest to Serval looks as possible, I would look for an F4/F5 of a "renewed" line (that to say, an F4 female Savannah cross to a Serval male). But that would be just for looks, you know, I wouldn't be sure about behaviour.
Maybe you can find a Savannah Cat forum un which you can read and learn from someone else's experiences.
I personally have a Bengal and, even though she is crazy, she is the cutest and sweetest kitten I've ever had. That makes sense, because the Asian Leopard Cat is nowhere as wild as a Serval Cat (I've recently read an article which demonstrates that it used to be domestic in some areas for a long period but then was subtituted by the easier to breed cats that we have nowadays).
Maine Coon cats are simply amazing. I would surely go for one of them if they were easily available where I live. They are big and well tempered, and so, so beautiful. It is my wish to aquire one of them in some years time.
If you are well experienced and have a talent for dealing with high energy and strong instincts cats (and you can live with a cat spraying your furniture if you are not lucky), then you can consider buying a Savannah after a good year of research about this breed and consulting with experts on their needs and behaviour.

tbh the servals arnt that cool looking to me its more of the size of them and what they can do is what would be fun iv seen some savannah cats that looked bluish grey that was beautiful to me i wonder if in future they can start breeding different colors.

i want a f2 male due to them not losing size till f3 and they are a bit more relaxed at f2 than f1 but i prob wont be getting one anytime soon due to paying 8 grand for a f2 male and spraying furniture and being that destructive maybe n 10 years prices will go down

atm im n missisisppi and not sure if any mainecoons are even near here id want a full blooded how do you make sure u arnt getting ripped off cause i heard they easily cost 1-2500 dollars

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Best option is checking if there are any cat shows near your area, so you can se breeders, talk to them and learn more about the breed. Best way to know that your cat is purebreed is buying from a reputable breeder. This way, you don't only have his pedigree, but also you will be sure that your cat is well socialized and healthy.
Some breeders will retire their queens and studs after some time, and will sell them at a lower price than a kitten. This are usually cats of extreme beauty, selected to pass down size, shape and eye colour, and many of them have been shown, so they are well socialized. The good thing about adult cats is that they are exactly what you see. You don't have to go to bed praying to the Lord for your cat to grow big. You don't have to worry about the personality of your fur baby, It is already settled.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These wild hybrids are downright scary to me. The look in their eyes just screams "kill kill kill - hunt hunt all day long" :disappointed: (Don't get me wrong they are beautiful, just gorgeous animals, but they're not pets. They're not domesticated, they're merely tamed but not affectionate) I don't agree with the keeping of wild animals but if you do decide to, be sure to put a loooot of research into it before you aquire one. Read every cat/feline behavior book that you can get your hands on, and be sure that you know what you're getting into. That is one hell of a commitment.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These wild hybrids are downright scary to me. The look in their eyes just screams "kill kill kill - hunt hunt all day long" :disappointed: (Don't get me wrong they are beautiful, just gorgeous animals, but they're not pets. They're not domesticated, they're merely tamed but not affectionate) I don't agree with the keeping of wild animals but if you do decide to, be sure to put a loooot of research into it before you aquire one. Read every cat/feline behavior book that you can get your hands on, and be sure that you know what you're getting into. That is one hell of a commitment.

Good point :agree: Some animals should only be admired through books and pictures and videos, etc. IMO, because an animal is cute or unique or unusual or tougher than dogs are very poor reasons to own said animal.

Do you have the space for a Savannah? I don't think they would be happy in an apartment. A small house might be ok but they'd likely still need some secure outdoor space. If you don't own your own home or you do but there are association rules and regulations, you will need to check the pet rules and ask if a Savannah is allowed. Non-cat people wouldn't know the difference between a Savannah and domestic cat breeds like a Maine Coon so you will need to provide info about Savannahs, how large they get, potentialy for aggressive behavior, etc. Also, check your local city / town and state laws. Some places forbid the ownership of exotic cats like servals and other similar animals considered to be wild. If your wild cat injuries someone or escapes, you likely will be in serious trouble with the law.

Another thing to seriously consider is if there are any locals vets who will treat anything less than an F4 Savannah. Some dog / cat vets will not so you may need to find a zoo vet who has experience dealing with large potentially aggressive exotic cats.

Why not just head to the local shelters and rescue and find an exotic looking domestic cat there? Cats can be trained to walk on a harness and leash. You won't get the same reaction from dog owners as you would walking a large Savannah but who cares what other pet owners think anyways?

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Best option is checking if there are any cat shows near your area, so you can se breeders, talk to them and learn more about the breed. Best way to know that your cat is purebreed is buying from a reputable breeder. This way, you don't only have his pedigree, but also you will be sure that your cat is well socialized and healthy.
Some breeders will retire their queens and studs after some time, and will sell them at a lower price than a kitten. This are usually cats of extreme beauty, selected to pass down size, shape and eye colour, and many of them have been shown, so they are well socialized. The good thing about adult cats is that they are exactly what you see. You don't have to go to bed praying to the Lord for your cat to grow big. You don't have to worry about the personality of your fur baby, It is already settled.

yeah but idk iv always liked to have a certain bond with a cat getting it at least before hes 4 months if not 8 weeks old my cat festis i got when he was 10 weeks and he thinks of me as daddy he follows me like a dog everytime i walk down road i can take him on walks without a leash thats a bond i dont think i could have if i got a grown cat thats around 4-5 years old or so

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so you dont believe in people taming lions tigers ect huh lol

i just wondered i know they say it is hard to make savannah cats due to the size of female house cats and male savannahs so why don they try to breed f1-2 savannahs with servals that would be amazing and probably alot easier to do

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good point :agree: Some animals should only be admired through books and pictures and videos, etc. IMO, because an animal is cute or unique or unusual or tougher than dogs are very poor reasons to own said animal.

Do you have the space for a Savannah? I don't think they would be happy in an apartment. A small house might be ok but they'd likely still need some secure outdoor space. If you don't own your own home or you do but there are association rules and regulations, you will need to check the pet rules and ask if a Savannah is allowed. Non-cat people wouldn't know the difference between a Savannah and domestic cat breeds like a Maine Coon so you will need to provide info about Savannahs, how large they get, potentialy for aggressive behavior, etc. Also, check your local city / town and state laws. Some places forbid the ownership of exotic cats like servals and other similar animals considered to be wild. If your wild cat injuries someone or escapes, you likely will be in serious trouble with the law.

Another thing to seriously consider is if there are any locals vets who will treat anything less than an F4 Savannah. Some dog / cat vets will not so you may need to find a zoo vet who has experience dealing with large potentially aggressive exotic cats.

Why not just head to the local shelters and rescue and find an exotic looking domestic cat there? Cats can be trained to walk on a harness and leash. You won't get the same reaction from dog owners as you would walking a large Savannah but who cares what other pet owners think anyways?

lol where i live i have 100 pound pot belly pigs come into my yard to sniff for scraps of food i throw out for them we got chickens pigs all kinds animals run around this country neighborhood i have 3 acres of land t my house just me so a savannah would be n paradise here tbh if i did decide to go that route but not sure how long ill be here

i guess reason i really wana big tough cat is cause lots of dog owners dont care what there dogs do. iv had dogs attack my cat, and them say ohh well too bad. my cat was in shock one night cause he got out of my camper i was staying in one night.

i heard screaming from under neigh. i ran outside in pitch black night and screamed for him. and he finally came to me .2 dogs were after him, his thick fur saved him from getting bit deeply and he didnt even wana move for 2 days.

i was so mad i hate how cats are defenseless against dogs. and people think its funny when dogs chase cats and hurt them. down here in the south, there is no respect for cats it seems. so i want a cat that would mess a dog up if it tried to attack it.

Last edited:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so you dont believe in people taming lions tigers ect huh lol

i just wondered i know they say it is hard to make savannah cats due to the size of female house cats and male savannahs so why don they try to breed f1-2 savannahs with servals that would be amazing and probably alot easier to do
Because the personality breeders are looking for is the one of domestic cats, so they need to dilute the wild instincts of Serval cats with some domestic blood. As I said before, they refresh lines crossing F3/F4 female Savannahs to Serval cats, thus making bigger Savannahs, with more distinct patterns. However, this does decrease the proportion of male fertile offspring, so it has its pros and cons.