Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest Or Neither??

ging.claire13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First time poster here, I’m looking for some help identifying my cat! I adopted my lovely boy (almost 3 years old) almost a year ago, and I’m trying to figure out what breed he is. I thought he was part Maine Coon (I know he’s not a purebred anything), but now that I’ve seen pictures of Norwegian Forest cats, I’m not sure! I know they are pretty similar breeds(so it might be hard to distinguish) but if anyone could offer their opinion, I‘d love to hear it! I’ve attached some photos of his face shape, face, paws, general cuteness, and a few of his body (tried to add the video they are screencapped from, to no avail).

He is around 15 pounds right now, and at least 2 feet long. He is SUPER cuddly and will nap on your legs and lap, even if you’ve just met him. He is very vocal, more so than any cat I’ve had. He also has a pretty high voice for a cat his size, which makes some people assume he’s a girl. He has big feet with hair between his toes and around his paws. I call them his “snowshoes“.

Please let me know if I can give any more helpful info, and please respond with what you think!

PS: For anyone wondering about his slightly dirty chin, he has a slight case of feline acne and if currently getting better! ❤

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A handsome fellow! I would suggest the third breed of these long haired big cousins as him being a look alike into: The siberian cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ging.claire13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A handsome fellow! I would suggest the third breed of these long haired big cousins as him being a look alike into: The siberian cat.
Thank you! I will definitely look into that breed! 😊

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a handsome fellow you have!

I would describe your cat as a brown mackerel tabby and white domestic longhair. You could also describe his pattern as "broken mackerel" as I can see that some of his mackerel stripes are broken up into spots.

Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs... although it's possible your cat may have ancestry from some breed, I'm not seeing a close resemblance in your photos to any of the breeds mentioned. That doesn't make your cat any less special, however -- he sounds like a great cat! :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ging.claire13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Such a handsome fellow you have!

I would describe your cat as a brown mackerel tabby and white domestic longhair. You could also describe his pattern as "broken mackerel" as I can see that some of his mackerel stripes are broken up into spots.

Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixes of breeds, unlike dogs... although it's possible your cat may have ancestry from some breed, I'm not seeing a close resemblance in your photos to any of the breeds mentioned. That doesn't make your cat any less special, however -- he sounds like a great cat! :redheartpump:
Thanks for the info! I admittedly know a tad more about dogs than cats, especially breed wise, so thank you. And yes, he is very handsome! I love him very much. ❤😊