Magic trick to get cats to drink water...

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt I'm the original inventor lol. But I just came up with this. I put hot water (which quickly cools) in a water dish with 4-5 Temptations treats. They soften fast, and after half an hour I pulverize them with a fork and stir. The resulting water drives my cat insane!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy would say "nope! nope! NOPE!" She hates temptations because the vet uses them so she thinks "needles!" When she sees them.

Ice cubes or just having a fountain increase water intake. Ceramic fountain even better, it acts like a thermos and keeps the water chilled.

Speaking of, don't add anything to water in a fountain, it will clog up the pump and be really nasty to clean out. Will smell like a sewer or toilet overflow. They have filters for a reason, one of which being to protect the pump.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very interesting idea :yess:

Here's what we do: first, don't put the water dish next to the food, put it in a diferent place.

Second, put more than one dish of water, each in a different location; for example, we put a water dish in the kitchen, another on the balcony, and a third in the main hall (the food dishes are in the laundry room). The result is that all three drink a lot of water everyday :yess::yess::cool2:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great idea about putting few temptation treats in hot water to get kitties to drink. Sometimes when a cat doesn’t seem to eat I’ve crushed a few temptations and sprinkle on top of wet good. I don’t know what they put in there that makes them so appealing to cats. They go crazy when they hear me open the pack.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Indy the only cat who despises temptations? She really doesn't like them.

She does love churu though.

But yeah theres other ways to get them to drink more.

Ceramic fountains like the raindrop or bigmax from pioneer pet also help. But again, don't stick things in the water of any fountain. You can burn out the pump.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I basically just observed her habits. Shortly after adopting her, I caught her drinking from a glass of water I had left on the living room coffee table, so now I put out the same kind of glass for her to drink from. I also have a stainless steel bowl of water for her in another room.

I just read that cats like their water cold, so I make sure it's well chilled. This means multiple water changes in the summer.I also read that cats are more likely to drink their water if it's not next to their food, so I make sure the two are separated.

I add as much water as I can get away with to her Churu. Sometimes I can get a whole tablespoon in there. I figure if she ever gets sick and needs to drink but wont, I can offer her the Churu but with less (or no) water and that make it more palatable.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I doubt I'm the original inventor lol. But I just came up with this. I put hot water (which quickly cools) in a water dish with 4-5 Temptations treats. They soften fast, and after half an hour I pulverize them with a fork and stir. The resulting water drives my cat insane!
I boil a single chicken wing in a tiny pot (cheap, lots of skin) pour the oiy broth over their water. They lick it up too fast to worry about rotting.