Lynx Point?

Cherokeekee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I have a lynx point kitten (tabby Siamese mix) what do y’all think? I got him at about 6 weeks and now he’s almost 9 weeks... he was the runt. Do you think his coloring will get darker? The stripes, coat color, face, etc. Also if you have a Lynx can you show before and after pictures? Kitten to adult, thanks :)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cherokeekee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just googled that and literally no pictures showed up with his coloring... but thanks!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your baby kitten as a seal lynx point domestic shorthair. He is adorable! Most pointed cats darken with age.

Here's a thread showing a couple of lynx point cats darkening with age:
Lynx Point Coloring

And here's a thread with lots and lots of pictures of pointed cats at various ages (some of them are lynx points, some are not)... you can add your own pictures to this thread, too :)
Pointed Cats!

Lynx point doesn't mean "tabby Siamese mix." Tabby is a color, and Siamese is a breed. Although the colorpoint gene (responsible for the pointed pattern) originally came from the Siamese breed many years ago, it is now widespread in the gene pool and doesn't indicate recent Siamese ancestry. Lynx point is a fairly common color in domestic shorthairs, but this doesn't make it any less special or beautiful :)

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pic, clearly showing a point little kitten, is accurate?
If yes, so he is a point, not "just" a pretty tabby, perhaps with a variation in fur.

OK, but he darkened very quickly, much sooner than most other siamese mix points...

The easy answer, lynx point, tends sometimes to darken up into their tabby coloration quite early. Why, sometimes its difficult to see at a quick glance they are points. I have met many owners / caretakers not being aware their domestic tabby was really a lynx point...

Ok, another possiblility, is if he is a combo bearer of two different point types:
the siamese point and the burmese point...
These darken up early, already as kittens...
These combos arent that common, but not rare once you become aware they do exist, and learn to recognize them among untypical colored points...

Thus, I use to spot them. Although sometimes I jump the gun too, I must confess if I want to be entirely honest. :)

Which is which may be difficult to know if you dont take a dna diagnostic test. Which is overkill for most owners of domestic cats.
One hint may be, these combos have seldom good blue eyes, as the burmese point doesnt carry the propriety of clearly blue eyes...

No iron clad proof, but a hint.
If this kitten has nice blue eyes also as adult, he is probably a siamese type, tabby point.

If the eyes arent blue at all, then we know for sure he is such a point combo.

And all the possibilites in between where we wont be more wise
than before I wrote my lenghy post. :)