Luna Is At The Bridge

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my courtyard there have always been cats from the neighborhood.
One of them, a female, decided to stop and live here. I gave her a shelter, and give food and water everyday.
Last year she brought me four kittens, all rehomed a few weeks later. She's been spayed in November.

In the last two weeks a new cat, a tom, joined. Very affectionate, lovely, young, probably 2 yo.
He was all black, with a white half moon shaped spot on his chest.
I named him Luna (Italian for Moon), even if Luna is a feminine name in Italian.
I was planning to having him neutered in the next week, this would have prevented him from roaming in the neighborhood and spraying all over my place.

This morning I found him dead on the road, about 400 meters from home, killed by a car... :(
I know he wasn't mine, and because he was very friendly and let me cuddle him, I'm sure he was someone's, but I don't know whose. He hadn't a microchip (over here it's not mandatory), I had checked, but I'm sure somebody will be looking and waiting for him.

RIP Luna, you will be missed by me too...

PSX_20180316_084325.jpg

This is a photo of mid-February, when he first showed up, then he disappeared for a couple of weeks. He returned about two weeks ago. He was eating the kibbles I leave out for the cats who wander in the area.

PSX_20180316_082917.jpg

This is his last photo, taken two days ago. He was resting on the roof of the shelter I have set up for the other cat. This image is of poor quality because it's been cropped out of a larger photo. The white spot, shaped like a half moon, is well visible :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, Antonio! Your poor heart has been through so much heartache, it must seem unending. I cried when we passed a beautiful ginger laying on the highway yesterday, finding one befriended and loved is much more personal and painful. I have buried so many from the road...... each one leaves a mark of sorrow on the soul. I mark their tiny graves and pray over their little souls, they are remembered and held in a heart that celebrates knowing I made their journey a little more comfortable and bearable, that they were cared for and loved in a cold and unfeeling world. And even though the heart is overflowing with sadness and grief there always seems to be room and new hope for the next little soul that arrives so scared and hungry. Even though we say we can't do it, we can't go through this any more, we've had enough, one look into those precious little faces and we accept our fate. Life goes on, the longer we live the more tragedy we will live through, we will endure. But we will also love more, receive more joys and triumphs, learn to continue our journeys and not be beaten by our losses. To learn that all the pain we take in actually expands our heart into allowing more love in. That their lives are infinitely more important than their deaths, and that we should all be so blessed to be loved and remembered as we remember those who have passed before us.
You are an angel among men Antonio, you are a protector and a guardian to those who have none. You have my gratitude and my admiration, thank you for letting us know of this sweet little one, he deserves no less, and needs to be remembered by many. Take care.......RIP sweet Luna. You are remembered and loved in this life, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again. Good night, sleep tight, little prince!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob , thanks for your kind, warm and heartfelt words, they moved me to tears :bawling:

I was getting very affectionate to him. He used to meow at me when he saw me, he was very docile and let me handle him. Yesterday in the morning I was thinking he was going to be my new "outside cat".
The last time I saw him was last night at half past midnight, when I looked outside before going to bed and saw him walking by, stopping, looking at me through the window and going away.
My thoughts could be confused and biased by the aftermath of what happened, but in this moment I believe I had thought "Be careful in night, my dear"... but again, it might be a false memory.

But I'm absolutely sure that I had this precise thought half an hour before my beloved Romeo was killed in the same stretch of road 17 years ago.

I can't even think of Luna today, too painful :(

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so so sorry to read this horrible news, you have taken such good care of all your cat friends and to lose one like this is just horrible. But he knew love and kindness on this Earth thanks to you, and is just fine now, no more being a stray, he has lots of friends and playmates and plenty to eat and drink, and I am sure that he loved you and thanks you for your care while he was here with you and the other cats, but I know your heart is aching as mine would be too....

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry my friend, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
les26 les26 , thanks for your beautiful words, you are so dear.

What hurts me the most is that this morning, when I found it, I moved it to a side of the road and called the local police to have someone sento to collect him and have him mass cremated. We have an office that provides this service at no cost.
They asked me everything about the cat and the exact location. They told me that they would have sent someone right away... A few minutes ago, 11 hours later, the poor cat was still there :( (it's 7:20 pm here)
I would have liked to have him cremated at my expense, but my wife told me to use that money for most important things, especially now that we've been through some important expenses for other feral cats :(
Anyway, if tomorrow morning he's still there, I will take him to a local vet.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh NO.. Antonio, :grouphug:
You are the kindest person.. There is a reason why all these kitties come into your life.
You have been deemed, 'exceptional' by the Powers Above. You are the person all ailing kitties are sent to.. You have a extraordinary heart, a remarkable power.. a special love...
The Almighty knows that.. He has granted this to you.

You have been through so much heartache.. but, I truly believe there is a reason for this.. You have the love, to handle these 'little ones'.... They have been entrusted into your care. It is not fair to you; however, it is more than fair for the little ones. They need you in their life.. they know who to turn to, when times are tuff for them.

It is as if there is a kitty community which has deemed you the 'go to' person.

It is so much to go through.. You have the compassion, the love, to continue..
and We will continue to support and love you.. for being you... :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Luna, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Not yours, but yours nonetheless. Those we love and care for are ours, even if they "belong" somewhere else. He was, and is, and will always be, a lovely, handsome boy.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I went back to the spot where I left him yesterday, determined to take him to the vet and pay for his cremation, but he had been collected. They must have come late last night or very early this morning.

Now I would like to post some posters around with his photo. He was surely someone's cat, I would like to let them know that he's not coming back home...

I stil can't believe it! :(

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember doing the same thing with Blondie, a huge tom that I know was someone's cat because he was too friendly and too well cared for. He came to eat every night. We laid him on the side of the road on the grass, hoping his humans would see him, but he laid there for four days. We finally gave him a burial in the wooded area he loved so much. Bless all these sweet little souls that deserve so much more........

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh NO.. Antonio, :grouphug:
You are the kindest person.. There is a reason why all these kitties come into your life.
You have been deemed, 'exceptional' by the Powers Above. You are the person all ailing kitties are sent to.. You have a extraordinary heart, a remarkable power.. a special love...
The Almighty knows that.. He has granted this to you.

You have been through so much heartache.. but, I truly believe there is a reason for this.. You have the love, to handle these 'little ones'.... They have been entrusted into your care. It is not fair to you; however, it is more than fair for the little ones. They need you in their life.. they know who to turn to, when times are tuff for them.

It is as if there is a kitty community which has deemed you the 'go to' person.

It is so much to go through.. You have the compassion, the love, to continue..
and We will continue to support and love you.. for being you... :hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom , you moved me to tears. I had read this post last night, but the tears in my eyes stopped me from writing back.

I agree with you, there must be a kind of message passing from cat to cat, and the message reads "go there".
I will keep doing whatever I can as long as I can, I hope I and all the cats I loved or helped even for just one day will reunite up there, to continue loving each other forever!

Thanks for you continuous support, you are great! You are all great here!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 , you are, in a very real way, the heart and soul of who we are. Your love for and devotion to ALL cats, not just your own, is a testament to who you are. I would welcome you in my home with open arms any time. Take care of you, as well as those cats! We need you here.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 The world is a better place because of people like you, people who are selfless and think of our four-legged friends before thinking of themselves. You are their angel guardian because you watch over them at all hours of the day even into the wee hours of the night. :angel: May Luna be at peace since she definitely will know the love and compassion one so thoughtful as you bestowed upon her. :hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 , you are, in a very real way, the heart and soul of who we are. Your love for and devotion to ALL cats, not just your own, is a testament to who you are. I would welcome you in my home with open arms any time. Take care of you, as well as those cats! We need you here.
I need you, your stories and your advice as much as you probably need me.
Cats are cats to me, and even if they aren't mine I care for them as they were, and love them all.
Thank you for trusting me and for your support !

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 The world is a better place because of people like you, people who are selfless and think of our four-legged friends before thinking of themselves. You are their angel guardian because you watch over them at all hours of the day even into the wee hours of the night. :angel: May Luna be at peace since she definitely will know the love and compassion one so thoughtful as you bestowed upon her. :hugs:
Animals, not just cats, have priority over me. I would like to help them all, but I can't, and my heart hurts...
I really hope to meet them all up there one day.
Thank you for your heartfelt words, I really appreciate them.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Antonio. I know you are such a loving and caring soul, and every cat who encounters you can think him or herself lucky. We need more caring people like you. I truly hope you can find out who had the cat originally. It's hard to say why people turn them out.
I just noticed yesterday a black cat peeing in my back yard. Never seen it before. Maybe it was Luna, come to visit me.
God bless you.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just saw this. Oh, Antonio, I am so very sorry. No doubt you are still reeling from the shock of this tragic event...and the timing could not have been worse coming so close to a very unwelcome "anniversary" later this month.

Luna was such a handsome fellow...and what an appropriate name. The fact that Luna was friendly and affectionate indicates that he was someone's pet at some time. But they did not deserve such a good cat having turned him loose to roam and meet up with this fate.

While it is tragic that a good cat's life was cut all too short, try to take comfort in the fact that he knew and experienced kindness, compassion, food, love and warmth from someone who cared far more than his owners. I think Luna was led to your doorstep to experience these things.

I think Luna is now resting in peace having experienced this love from you. God bless you for being an earthly Angel to all animals.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so very kind to all animals , not just your own. I know how hard it is to see an animal cold and hungry , we want to help them all. I so wish I could help them all.
Luna did know love. You showed him all the love he could want. You loved him and cared that he was fed and happy , and he was. He is now resting peacefully and happy. He will always remember you , and thank you for being the one person that showed him love. You showed him someone cared , and for that , he will always be grateful.
RIP Sweet Luna!
You were and are still loved and will be very missed!