Luna And Noodles Continued... Help!!

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So since the last post I made on Thursday Luna (my new 12 week old kitten) and Noodles (My 5 year old resident cat) have what I believe gotten used to each others scent. I used the method of rubbing two clean socks on each cat and leaving a sock of the opposite cat near their food that way they have the scent while they eat (they both enjoy eating very much) as well as Luna likes to snuggle with me a lot at night at bedtime so I know her scent is all over me when I as well pick up and hug Noodles. I want to try visual desensitization but noodles is way too scared of Luna to even come out from her hiding places. This most likely is happening because in the last few days I've let Luna out from my room and she has chased Noodles. It seemed to me that Luna was trying to play with Noodles, but Noodles didn't want to and started to hit and hiss at Luna. I've tried to contain Luna as much as possible, but now she no longer wants to stay in my room. When I try to leave she wants to come with me and if I can close the door without her escaping she starts crying and that breaks my heart. I can't afford to buy a baby gate right now.. Is there anyway I can help them keep their distance from each other so they can learn to tolerate each others presence without keeping Luna locked up in my room and let Noodles know that she can continue her everyday life and that she doesn't have to be scared?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting Luna in her carrier and setting her in the middle of your living room. This should allow noodles to work up the courage to sniff and get a close look at the baby without her being chased or threatened. Luna should be okay for an hour or two in the carrier, although probably not happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try putting Luna in her carrier and setting her in the middle of your living room. This should allow noodles to work up the courage to sniff and get a close look at the baby without her being chased or threatened. Luna should be okay for an hour or two in the carrier, although probably not happy.
I tried that last night but the minute Noodles sees that I have Luna she runs away and hides. I put Luna in the carrier in the middle of the living room but Noodles still ran away and hid under a bed and I could not get her to come out. Should I just keep trying and hopefully noodles will come out from hiding? She hides for really long periods of time (For example, I let Luna out this morning for a little while and she still hiding under my brother bed and hasn't come out) I just don't want to have Luna in the carrier for hours.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If Noodles runs off to hide, you do not want to go after her or try to get her out, that will just make her hid longer. If you know she is off hiding, then I would just let her hide and let the kitten run around for an hour or two. Eventually, Noodles will come out.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So since the last post I made on Thursday Luna (my new 12 week old kitten) and Noodles (My 5 year old resident cat) have what I believe gotten used to each others scent. I used the method of rubbing two clean socks on each cat and leaving a sock of the opposite cat near their food that way they have the scent while they eat (they both enjoy eating very much) as well as Luna likes to snuggle with me a lot at night at bedtime so I know her scent is all over me when I as well pick up and hug Noodles. I want to try visual desensitization but noodles is way too scared of Luna to even come out from her hiding places. This most likely is happening because in the last few days I've let Luna out from my room and she has chased Noodles. It seemed to me that Luna was trying to play with Noodles, but Noodles didn't want to and started to hit and hiss at Luna. I've tried to contain Luna as much as possible, but now she no longer wants to stay in my room. When I try to leave she wants to come with me and if I can close the door without her escaping she starts crying and that breaks my heart. I can't afford to buy a baby gate right now.. Is there anyway I can help them keep their distance from each other so they can learn to tolerate each others presence without keeping Luna locked up in my room and let Noodles know that she can continue her everyday life and that she doesn't have to be scared?
What about some taped together firm cardboard instead of a gate for now?

Poke some "smell holes" in it?

Along with socks - what about some blankets drenched in each others scents?

If Noodles runs off to hide, you do not want to go after her or try to get her out, that will just make her hid longer. If you know she is off hiding, then I would just let her hide and let the kitten run around for an hour or two. Eventually, Noodles will come out.
Very, very good advice! I've made this mistake. Now I let mine hide when they want.

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay should I put Luna in the carrier crate in a separate room from Noodles when she’s out that way she doesn’t get spooked?

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Good idea about the cardboard! As for the blankets basically all the blankets in my house have noodles scent so I could bring some of those into my room. I was also think about having noodles spend some time in my room as a kind of “switching territories” do you think that would help some?

Very, very good advice! I've made this mistake. Now I let mine hide when they want.

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Sorry my reply got messed up lol. But good idea about the cardboard! As for the blankets basically all the blankets in my house have noodles scent. I was thinking about when Noodles is ready to let her come in my room when the kitten is out to “switch territories”

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry my reply got messed up lol. But good idea about the cardboard! As for the blankets basically all the blankets in my house have noodles scent. I was thinking about when Noodles is ready to let her come in my room when the kitten is out to “switch territories”
LOL happens to me all the time too!

Good idea when they do the territory swap!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
“switch territories”
That's what I was going to suggest. That way Noodles can get a good amount of Luna's scent without Luna there. You can also get a sense of whether Luna can safely be out in the rest of the home while Noodles can have a chance to sleep with you.

cmf1011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So noodles finally came out but she feels the most comfortable in my brothers room. I don’t want to push her so tonight I’m going to feed noodles in my brothers room and Luna on the opposite side of the door at the same time. I gave Noodles a toy I bought for Luna that she had played with a lot since we brought her home. That way she has a toy and she will smell Luna without her being in the room. Hopefully this goes well!! Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it!!