Lukeran Experiences

Jen70720

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Evening everyone,

I am curious as to if anyone on here has any positive experiences with chlorambucil? I, of course, have read the not so positive posts on it. My kitty has stopped responding to prednisolone so now it is time for chlorambucil. She is, like many other on here, unconfirmed IBD vs Lymphoma. I am nervous because of all the potential side effects of this drug. Her poops are squishy and the pred and the metronidazole are not helping so I really have no other choice. I know this drug can take 2-4 wks to kick in so I have braced myself with all the essentials--SQ fluids/b12 shots (already on)/cerenia/mirtazapine. Once again I really want to hear some success stories, not just the sad ones. Thanks!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jen70720

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply :thanks: I do appreciate any info I can get. This has been a long journey with more downs than ups. I do appreciate it.

ruths4cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jen70720. I have had three cats on Lukeran/chlorambucil. The first was on it for a little over a year for an autoimmune disease in the sinus. It tended to make him a bit lethargic the day after taking and he has some reduction of appetite, but we handled that with cyproheptadine. The second kitty was on it for 5 years for advanced inflammatory bowel disease. I never noticed him being tired after taking it, but it didn’t improve his already picky appetite. Cypro and cerenia the day of and after were my go to drugs. Number three is on it now for refractory iBD. It has changed his sense of taste as he no longer is willing to eat any of the foods he ate before. Used to love dry food, but won’t touch it now. I have managed to find new foods he will eat, but he it is less enthusiastic eater now but still finishes the plate. Other than that, there has been no noticeable change (except a quick resolution of the chronic diarrhea - yay!)