Low iodine wet food

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone have a suggestion for low iodine wet food?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Look into Weruva and their brands Soulistic (through Petco), Cats in the Kitchen, Truluxe, B.F.F and also the Weruva WX (doesn't need a prescription).

Unlike a number of other brands, all the Weruva varieties are at the minimum aafco requirement for iodine which is 0.6 mg/kg. The good thing, if your cat also has Kidney disease, is that Weruva also keeps the phosphorus very low/at the minimum level, plus their WX varieties are extremely low phosphorus. There is a qualifier statement on the WX varieties that it doesn't meet aafco requirements but all the other nutritional values in the WX's do.

You can double check for which varieties work for you on their website which is very transparent and provides indepth breakdowns of nutritional values for every product.

One other brand that has minimum iodine is Feline Natural Chicken and venison, although their phos is high-ish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I actually have some Weruva at home already so I’ll see if she will eat it.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:vibes::goodluck: let us know how it goes:)
I contacted another brand that I use for their cats to find out the iodine content. This was their reply. Does that mean this food is also low iodine?

Hi Robyn,
Thanks for reaching out. I hope this email finds you well. My name is Stefanie and I am part of the Brand Relations team. My job is to make sure you and your pet are completely satisfied with your KOHA purchase.

We only have the iodine listed for our paté recipes. KOHA does not analyze Iodine specifically in our typical analysis. However, we do formulate to the AAFCO targets - including ensuring we are safely below the AAFCO maximum.
Let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.
Have a great day!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does that mean this food is also low iodine?
It's frustrating when companies do this. I don't know what aafco's maximum is, however when I look at Koha's iodine content in their pates, it is quite a lot higher than I was comfortable with for my boy. The aafco minimum is 0.6 mg/kg which, for example, is what Weruva consistently maintains across all their varieties (I had several conversations with one of their representatives to get this info), and also just to mention, Feline Natural chicken and venison is low iodine (although their phosphorus content is on the high side).

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's frustrating when companies do this. I don't know what aafco's maximum is, however when I look at Koha's iodine content in their pates, it is quite a lot higher than I was comfortable with for my boy. The aafco minimum is 0.6 mg/kg which, for example, is what Weruva consistently maintains across all their varieties (I had several conversations with one of their representatives to get this info), and also just to mention, Feline Natural chicken and venison is low iodine (although their phosphorus content is on the high side).
When I looked at the for that info, I found this saying the max on dry basis is 9, but it says proposed so I don’t know if that’s current guidelines. It’s all so overwhelming and confusing!

84E79A34-4931-48EB-BBBB-B3A88D1A6860.jpeg 0C1DAD39-C0DC-4C42-9692-7BB54C6FC359.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t know if that’s current guidelines.
I saw a date there that was 2014. Even if they've decreased it since, it's likely still awfully high.
Hang in there with this. You're on the right track working to determine the best food for your cats, and if more and more customers such as us keep contacting the manufacturers, they'll pay attention and do as Weruva, Evangers and Daves did with phosphorus and begin making varieties with lower iodine.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw a date there that was 2014. Even if they've decreased it since, it's likely still awfully high.
Hang in there with this. You're on the right track working to determine the best food for your cats, and if more and more customers such as us keep contacting the manufacturers, they'll pay attention and do as Weruva, Evangers and Daves did with phosphorus and begin making varieties with lower iodine.
Thank you. I have a small bag of the hills y/d dry food from the vet because she typically prefers dry over wet but I wanted some wet to offer her too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Weruva rep told me that some people add unseasoned chicken to their wet chicken varieties to lower the iodine from the 0.6 mg/kg.
Along that thought, I took some of the y/d kibble, put it in a food processor to get it really fine and added that to some wet food I had for Poppy. You could double check with your vet to see what s/he thinks of this approach.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Weruva rep told me that some people add unseasoned chicken to their wet chicken varieties to lower the iodine from the 0.6 mg/kg.
Along that thought, I took some of the y/d kibble, put it in a food processor to get it really fine and added that to some wet food I had for Poppy. You could double check with your vet to see what s/he thinks of this approach.
Great suggestions!