Low Carb Snacks That Don't Include Poultry, Fish, Or Liver?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, and I LOVE the lettuce thing!
Regarding people food, try green beans and possibly asparagus, and garden baby peas if your guy can have those? Green olives - my Big Guy is crazy for those.
Goat milk?
and somewhere on this site, my apologies to the poster, that cheddar cheese and parmeson as well, has a lower lactose (?) or something and is easier for a cat to digest. Oh, oh, I found the thread with that info --go me woohoo-- :yess:
Parmesan Cheese Ok For Pilling?
Cats can have green olives? Huh. Well, that ought to make Oscar happy. He's all over me any time I'm snacking on olives, like it's some kind of turbocharged catnip.

Fortunately, Buddy isn't lactose intolerant, and milk products (such as plain yogurt) and cheeses seem to agree with him just fine. I just wasn't sure which ones he could have. Thanks much for the link!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right, I think it's Primal that sells goat milk for dogs and cats. It's allegedly very good for them!
I've seen that at the holistic pet store. I've just been a little leery about trying raw goat milk since Buddy's immune system has taken a bit of a beating this year. Maybe we can try some non-raw goat milk. There's bound to be some around here somewhere! :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
+1 for goats milk! If you're rural and know people with goats they might be able to help you out, too.
Alas, there aren't any goats around here, but there are some pretty decent grocery stores within driving distance that might carry some non-raw milk. I wonder if there are any cheeses made from goat milk that are safe to give cats? I'll have to look into that. :)

Would just plain cooked beef be an option? Pressure cooked, baked, boiled, grilled to perfection like my cats demand?
:crackup:
Ah, the things we do for our kitties! Sometimes I think I spend more time catering to them than I do for the human members of the family. :wink:

Buddy isn't that fond of beef flavored canned food. But I've never cooked any kind of beef for him as treats. Do you cook it until it's so tender it would practically melt in a kitty's mouth? Or where it's still a little on the chewy side?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There’s a brand called Walk About that has freeze dried kangaroo! I haven’t tried them yet so I can’t tell if they’re too crunchy or not for your kitty but I’ve been curious to get them eventually for my cats.
Now that you mention it, I remember seeing those when I was looking into their novel protein canned food as an option for Buddy. We didn't feel comfortable with garlic powder being listed as an ingredient for the canned food, but I just checked, and that's not an issue for the treats. I'll e-mail the company and ask about the texture. That would be a godsend for us if the texture would work out, as they have lots of proteins Buddy can have. Thanks!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alas, there aren't any goats around here, but there are some pretty decent grocery stores within driving distance that might carry some non-raw milk. I wonder if there are any cheeses made from goat milk that are safe to give cats? I'll have to look into that. :)

:crackup:
Ah, the things we do for our kitties! Sometimes I think I spend more time catering to them than I do for the human members of the family. :wink:

Buddy isn't that fond of beef flavored canned food. But I've never cooked any kind of beef for him as treats. Do you cook it until it's so tender it would practically melt in a kitty's mouth? Or where it's still a little on the chewy side?
My cats love cheese, but I'm picky and do the real deal, good cheeses in teeny amounts!
I do cook beef very thoroughly and at low temps. If it's ground, I boil it and rinse it but if it's a piece of meat vs. ground (which is usual), we cook very low until it's fall-apart-in-your-fingers tender...a pressure cooker accomplishes this well as does a crock pot!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try plain all beef baby food. Mix it with a little lactose free milk, of he can have that, till it’s soupy.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha ha, yes, that, too! (She types with a cat draped over her lap...)
Yesterday I lazy-ed my way through the late afternoon on the couch and had a lot of cats hanging around with me, but one of my dogs hopped up onto the armrest of my left, slowly slid his butt into my lap (ignoring the laptop) and then "oops, I fell LOL" into my lap onto his back and lay there like a baby. I was howling laughing.
One of my girls (kitties) likes these crazy-weird fuzzy pom-pom balls and she has like a billion of them. Every night I gather them up and put them in an un-used cat bed, and every morning she has 8-10 of them drug out and left about 6 inches apart. She learned I find it extremely cute when she starts false-pregnancy yelling with one of these toys and now if I ignore her, she'll go grab one and start screaming at me through this mouthful of pom-pom fuzz knowing it will get my attention.
Oh yes, they're smart...too smart! =D

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that you mention it, I remember seeing those when I was looking into their novel protein canned food as an option for Buddy. We didn't feel comfortable with garlic powder being listed as an ingredient for the canned food, but I just checked, and that's not an issue for the treats. I'll e-mail the company and ask about the texture. That would be a godsend for us if the texture would work out, as they have lots of proteins Buddy can have. Thanks!
Just the other day I was looking at their kangaroo food and stopped considering it the moment I saw the garlic powder. No idea why they put that in that particular protein because they don't put it in their boar recipe. Very weird! I hope the texture of the treats works for your kitty! Let me know what they end up telling you, both of my cats can do the crunchy treats but they do prefer the more crumbly types.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love cheese, but I'm picky and do the real deal, good cheeses in teeny amounts!
I do cook beef very thoroughly and at low temps. If it's ground, I boil it and rinse it but if it's a piece of meat vs. ground (which is usual), we cook very low until it's fall-apart-in-your-fingers tender...a pressure cooker accomplishes this well as does a crock pot!
Cool. Thanks!

And if some tender, melt-in-your-mouth beef doesn't tickle Buddy's fancy, we'll make sure it doesn't go to waste! :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try plain all beef baby food. Mix it with a little lactose free milk, of he can have that, till it’s soupy.
Buddy doesn't much care for beef baby food for some weird reason. But maybe adding something to it to give it a little pizazz might help to pique his interest. Thanks!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, they're smart...too smart! =D
Gosh, yes! I've given up on trying to outsmart them. They're always at least ten steps ahead of me. ;)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just the other day I was looking at their kangaroo food and stopped considering it the moment I saw the garlic powder. No idea why they put that in that particular protein because they don't put it in their boar recipe. Very weird! I hope the texture of the treats works for your kitty! Let me know what they end up telling you, both of my cats can do the crunchy treats but they do prefer the more crumbly types.
I haven't gotten a response back, but I'll keep you posted. :)