Low Carb Snacks That Don't Include Poultry, Fish, Or Liver?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy has come to expect a treat of some kind as a reward every time I give him his meds & supplements, or do anything else to him that the vet has recommended. But most of the commercially prepared treats contain liver (as well as some of his canned food), and I'd really like to cut back on those.

He's allergic to chicken and turkey, and we've eliminated all other poultry/fowl just to be on the safe side. He also can't have fish or anything high in carbs because of his history of urinary tract problems. He can't have 'fresh' raw treats either because of his compromised immune system, although freeze-dried are permitted.

Buddy likes cheese, and seems to tolerate it okay. He also likes shrimp PureBites. We tried freeze-dried green-lipped mussel treats, but he wouldn't touch those with a ten foot pole. We also tried cooked egg yolks, but he wouldn't eat those either. And now that he's decided that pate style food is the best thing ever, he won't eat anything that's too crunchy, chewy (like jerky), or stringy like the Whole Life treats (at least the last time we tried them).

Got any ideas? *asks hopefully*

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, so no poultry, no fish, and minimal liver. Hmm... you could give unseasoned pork or beef. Vital Essentials has a variety of freeze dried treats. They have rabbit cat treats. The dog treats do look safe for cats, they just might have to be broken up. They have tiny beef treats and whole rabbit ears. Origen has a few treats that look safe. Lamb, Regional Red (half liver), Wild Boar. You could look into using ZiwiPeak as treats. I saw freeze dried cheese somewhere at some point...

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
No liver of any kind? Northwest Naturals has several varieties of treats that would be on your prohibited list but also a couple of fish types.
  • Beef Liver
  • Bison Liver
  • Chicken Breast
  • Chicken Liver
  • Lamb Liver
  • Pork Liver
  • Wild Caught Salmon
  • Whitefish
My girls love them. They aren’t soft but they crumble very easily. In fact, I sometimes use them as a topper when Iris gets picky.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - did you try raw egg yolk? Is that something your furbuddy can have?
The egg white must be cooked but the yolk can be fed raw...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing about liver is that a little bit goes a very long way! I had a bag of Pure Bites duck liver treats that lasted forever because it only took about three specks to make a dish of food interesting. The cats always seemed grateful for even a tiny corner of a treat as a treat, too. They're very pungent.

I guess post-medication time isn't a good time for playtime is it? We don't often give treats as treats but we often reward the cats with play sessions. Particularly with certain toys we can't let them have for very long, like the fish that Ireland likes to bat around and then chew up...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it all liver your cat can't have? There novel protein freeze dried treats but they contain liver (example, rabbit treats that contain rabbit liver).

Orijen might be a possibility: High-Protein Grain-Free Cat Food & Cat Treats | ORIJEN

How about freeze dried lobster treats? WildSide Lobster Freeze Dried Cat Food 1.4 oz

Try SoBright freeze dried treats: So Bright - Organic Dog Treats - Free Shipping

Maybe instead of a food treat you can reward your cat with catnip or a toy?
Buddy can have liver from pretty much any protein source except for chicken, turkey, duck, etc. I'm just trying to figure out some other treat options that don't include liver at all. :)

He absolutely adores the Orijen dog treats. IIRC, the lamb treats contain 55% liver, the bison 65%, and the wild boar 80%. It's a step in the right direction, but there's still room for improvement.

Thanks for the links! I'll check those out.

I do try to find other ways to reward Buddy besides treats. But some of his meds & supplements seem to taste pretty vile to him, even when mixed with baby food, and giving him a treat immediately afterward keeps him from foaming and drooling something fierce. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing about liver is that a little bit goes a very long way! I had a bag of Pure Bites duck liver treats that lasted forever because it only took about three specks to make a dish of food interesting. The cats always seemed grateful for even a tiny corner of a treat as a treat, too. They're very pungent.

I guess post-medication time isn't a good time for playtime is it? We don't often give treats as treats but we often reward the cats with play sessions. Particularly with certain toys we can't let them have for very long, like the fish that Ireland likes to bat around and then chew up...
Oh, Buddy LOVED the PureBites duck liver treats! I felt just terrible when we had to take them away from him when it because clear it wasn't just enough to eliminate chicken and turkey from his diet. :(

I do play with Buddy after med times as his "treat" when I can. It just depends on what I just gave him, how likely it is to stay down, etc. Right now he's on yet another course of Veraflox, and we've already had one disaster with that. ;)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - did you try raw egg yolk? Is that something your furbuddy can have?
The egg white must be cooked but the yolk can be fed raw...
Well, we're not supposed to give him any raw egg yolks. But I have to confess, I did give him some during an emergency hairball situation one time. ;)

The funny thing is that Buddy loves to sniff cooked egg yolks. He just doesn't like to eat them. :lol:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No liver of any kind? Northwest Naturals has several varieties of treats that would be on your prohibited list but also a couple of fish types.
  • Beef Liver
  • Bison Liver
  • Chicken Breast
  • Chicken Liver
  • Lamb Liver
  • Pork Liver
  • Wild Caught Salmon
  • Whitefish
My girls love them. They aren’t soft but they crumble very easily. In fact, I sometimes use them as a topper when Iris gets picky.
Unfortunately, since Buddy can't have chicken or fish, that just leaves us with the treats that contain liver, which we're trying to cut back on. But our other cat gets treats so rarely, they shouldn't be a problem for him, and he might enjoy some of those. Thanks much!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so no poultry, no fish, and minimal liver. Hmm... you could give unseasoned pork or beef. Vital Essentials has a variety of freeze dried treats. They have rabbit cat treats. The dog treats do look safe for cats, they just might have to be broken up. They have tiny beef treats and whole rabbit ears. Origen has a few treats that look safe. Lamb, Regional Red (half liver), Wild Boar. You could look into using ZiwiPeak as treats. I saw freeze dried cheese somewhere at some point...
The Vital Essentials rabbit looked too hard and crunchy for Buddy, but the other ones might be an option for us. I'll go take a look at their website and check them out. :)

I got some free samples of ZiwiPeak air-dried food awhile back, but both of our cats hated them. They must have known I got them for free. They seems to only like stuff that costs us a small fortune! :crackup:

Right now, Buddy absolutely adores Orijen dog treats! I think they include the same flavors as the cat treats, plus two or three more.

Are these freeze-dried cheese treats from PureBites the ones you saw? I had thought about trying those at one point. But I figured why not just feed him real honest-to-goodness cheese? On the other hand, maybe he might prefer the texture of a treat to the real thing. Guess I'll give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Vital Essentials rabbit looked too hard and crunchy for Buddy, but the other ones might be an option for us. I'll go take a look at their website and check them out. :)

I got some free samples of ZiwiPeak air-dried food awhile back, but both of our cats hated them. They must have known I got them for free. They seems to only like stuff that costs us a small fortune! :crackup:

Right now, Buddy absolutely adores Orijen dog treats! I think they include the same flavors as the cat treats, plus two or three more.

Are these freeze-dried cheese treats from PureBites the ones you saw? I had thought about trying those at one point. But I figured why not just feed him real honest-to-goodness cheese? On the other hand, maybe he might prefer the texture of a treat to the real thing. Guess I'll give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)
Oh wow, you've tried so many treats! The PureBites weren't the ones I saw. They were more like cheese puffs. I figure freeze dried cheese offers something different in the texture department. Have you considered making your own treats?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow, you've tried so many treats! The PureBites weren't the ones I saw. They were more like cheese puffs. I figure freeze dried cheese offers something different in the texture department. Have you considered making your own treats?
Oooh, I think Buddy would enjoy some cheese treats with that texture. I'll poke around the interwebs a bit and see if I can accidentally stumble upon them. :)

Alas, I'm already stretched pretty thin trying to keep my head above water, so homemade goodies aren't really an option for me right now. So I need something that's commercially prepared that I can just buy, or figure out if there's any people food I can safely give Buddy as treats that we haven't already tried. Maybe I might offer him a leaf of lettuce one day just for grins. Our other cat goes nuts over it, and will wake up out of a sound sleep if he hears us get a head of lettuce out of the crisper. We finally gave up on putting it in our sandwiches so we could eat in peace. Our vet thinks that's hilarious. :lol:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do play with Buddy after med times as his "treat" when I can. It just depends on what I just gave him, how likely it is to stay down, etc. Right now he's on yet another course of Veraflox, and we've already had one disaster with that. ;)
Yes, exactly, the "stay down" is the part I was concerned with. We definitely have problems with playtime just before or just after meals and I would think that medications could be similar!

The funny thing is that Buddy loves to sniff cooked egg yolks. He just doesn't like to eat them. :lol:
That is such a cat thing! As is the lettuce story. Maybe you could try some quieter lettuce! :p

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, and I LOVE the lettuce thing!
Regarding people food, try green beans and possibly asparagus, and garden baby peas if your guy can have those? Green olives - my Big Guy is crazy for those.
Goat milk?
and somewhere on this site, my apologies to the poster, that cheddar cheese and parmeson as well, has a lower lactose (?) or something and is easier for a cat to digest. Oh, oh, I found the thread with that info --go me woohoo-- :yess:
Parmesan Cheese Ok For Pilling?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right, I think it's Primal that sells goat milk for dogs and cats. It's allegedly very good for them!
+1 for goats milk! If you're rural and know people with goats they might be able to help you out, too.
Would just plain cooked beef be an option? Pressure cooked, baked, boiled, grilled to perfection like my cats demand?

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There’s a brand called Walk About that has freeze dried kangaroo! I haven’t tried them yet so I can’t tell if they’re too crunchy or not for your kitty but I’ve been curious to get them eventually for my cats.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There’s a brand called Walk About that has freeze dried kangaroo! I haven’t tried them yet so I can’t tell if they’re too crunchy or not for your kitty but I’ve been curious to get them eventually for my cats.
My cats would love to sample 'roo I'm sure! =)