Lovesick Cat?

JackAndDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had adopted Dandy at 3 months from the shelter in June. He was a fine young kitten and I had no problems with him at all. Then about a month later one of my coworkers needed someone to watch her kitten (also 3 months and female) while she was working out her living situation. I accepted and did all the steps for introducing them and within about 2 weeks they were close friends. Really close, cuddling and cleaning each other close. When my coworker told me she was going to be able to take the kitten back soon, I decided to adopt Jack, a 2 month old male kitten, thinking that this would soften the blow of losing such a close companion.

I was a week into introducing Dandy to Jack when the kitten went back home. At first Dandy was very disinterested in Jack and meowed a lot more than he usually did, sometimes alone in a room, but he eventually came around and started playing with Jack. It's not as close as how he was with my coworker's kitten, but he's taken on a bit of a 'big brother' role.

The problem is, Dandy seems a lot less disinterested in food than he used to be. He used to scarf down two bowls of wet food a day and still cry for more, but now he'd barely eat half a bowl. Everyday he seems to eat less and less. He'll still eat kibble, but I'm getting worried because Dandy seems a lot thinner than usual. Dandy's already a long lean cat, but his shoulders are a lot more pronounced and there's a noticeable dip behind his belly now. As for behavior, he's a lot more needy and vocalizes more than he ever did.

It's only been a week since the coworker's cat left, so should I just wait and see what happens? My mom says I should take Dandy to go visit his friend, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea (cats aren't exactly dogs so I'm not sure how'd he feel about the new environment...plus where the cat is, there's not really supposed to be pets ^^; ).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JackAndDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe I should also add that I recently changed canned food brands too. I was buy Friskies earlier but I recently switched to Special Kitty about two weeks ago.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Change in food would be more of a suspect for me than losing a friend. While he may miss his playmate it shouldn't cause him to stop eating and lose weight. I would start by returning to his old food to see if his appetite returns and if not have a vet check him out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats hate Special Kitty canned food, they will not eat it. Maybe try the Friskies again and see if he'll eat that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JackAndDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try giving him some Friskies tonight, then. Maybe he's developed a sense of taste!