Lotus Just Juicy turkey - what the??!!!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you, much appreciated.

Yes, that's my feeling.  While some cats may instinctively know to avoid a food if it's "spoiled" - hence, someone who may choose to feed a food that's different in color than what it looks like normally, a cat / dog wouldn't necessarily know to avoid something like melamine, which caused so many pet deaths.

I spend a lot of money on Lotus (and others) per month, however, regardless, even if I were using a lower price point food, I have the right to know and ask if a food seems off, either discolored or whatever - from the company.
The process can go wrong for any pet food company. Purina made me right with double the bags of Strategy years ago when the drums were too hot and the pellets overcooked. I didn't have to chase them down. They contacted the feed store. It's how they handle a problem that matters. Kudos to this company. I may look into their food.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The process can go wrong for any pet food company. Purina made me right with double the bags of Strategy years ago when the drums were too hot and the pellets overcooked. I didn't have to chase them down. They contacted the feed store. It's how they handle a problem that matters. Kudos to this company. I may look into their food.
This company has responded in a very professional manner, kudos to them for that. I don't know if we have Lotus here, but I will out for it now. Seems like they're on top on things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This company has responded in a very professional manner, kudos to them for that. I don't know if we have Lotus here, but I will out for it now. Seems like they're on top on things.
Thanks. :)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just now seeing this thread. I used to feed Lotus Just Juicy Pork, and I, too, noticed a small amount of gray strands of pork meat. I thought maybe it was just the "dark meat" or something. It didn't alarm me. But I could definitely see the concern with the can you opened, @LisaMarie12! I did have an issue with Lotus once. They were very responsive and apologetic. I didn't report them or anything. I still think Lotus is one of the best brands you can get.....at least for now!  

And, yes, most canned cat foods are cooked in the can, especially the pate/loaf types. Real meat shreds and chunks might be a little different, though, because if you put raw chopped/sliced chicken in a can and then cook it, I would think it would get all stuck together. Brands like Lotus and Weruva and Tiki Cat have shreds that are pretty "loose" in the can, so they might actually cook it before canning...or at least partially cook it before canning. 

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd be surprised if any cat food with water or broth listed first in the ingredients list were cooked in the can, Steam creates a lot of pressure.

Those types of foods are more like soups, and I'd imagine require a larger portion than a pate.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just now seeing this thread. I used to feed Lotus Just Juicy Pork, and I, too, noticed a small amount of gray strands of pork meat. I thought maybe it was just the "dark meat" or something. It didn't alarm me. But I could definitely see the concern with the can you opened, @LisaMarie12! I did have an issue with Lotus once. They were very responsive and apologetic. I didn't report them or anything. I still think Lotus is one of the best brands you can get.....at least for now!  

And, yes, most canned cat foods are cooked in the can, especially the pate/loaf types. Real meat shreds and chunks might be a little different, though, because if you put raw chopped/sliced chicken in a can and then cook it, I would think it would get all stuck together. Brands like Lotus and Weruva and Tiki Cat have shreds that are pretty "loose" in the can, so they might actually cook it before canning...or at least partially cook it before canning. 
Thanks. I agree, I appreciated their response. The image of that black turkey, however, is kind of embedded in my mind and I'm not inclined to use it again any time soon. Even with a complimentary case - then what after we're done with it? Go back to my store and end up getting cans with undissolved grey vitamins mixed in or more black turkey?  Order from Chewy's and hope it's okay? Nah ... I think I'll pass on it actually. We're done with LJJ, at least for awhile anyway and on to something else that Molly's is actually doing well on.

That's very interesting re foods cooked in cans - or not, and the differences b/t pates and shredded, going to have to research that bit, kind of busy lately .... :)

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd be surprised if any cat food with water or broth listed first in the ingredients list were cooked in the can, Steam creates a lot of pressure.

Those types of foods are more like soups, and I'd imagine require a larger portion than a pate.
It's news to me - definitely would need to research it a bit. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard about the cooked-in-the-can method before but am not sure where, though I think there have been been mentions on TCS that stuck in my head. Googling turned up an interesting Wall Street Journal article about Hare Today (here) that mentions it, if only briefly.

I believe the method is also used for fish for human consumption; the fish can be processed on a ship that way. (Russian fish processing ships used to come to Maine to process "junk" fish so I learned some odd things from that! The only ship I ever visited, though, was making fish meal and oh, did it reek of fish!)

Back to the subject at hand, though, @LisaMarie12, I can understand being hesitant to want to feed that food again. I think I'd be very wary of it, too!

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've heard about the cooked-in-the-can method before but am not sure where, though I think there have been been mentions on TCS that stuck in my head. Googling turned up an interesting Wall Street Journal article about Hare Today (here) that mentions it, if only briefly.

I believe the method is also used for fish for human consumption; the fish can be processed on a ship that way. (Russian fish processing ships used to come to Maine to process "junk" fish so I learned some odd things from that! The only ship I ever visited, though, was making fish meal and oh, did it reek of fish!)

Back to the subject at hand, though, @LisaMarie12, I can understand being hesitant to want to feed that food again. I think I'd be very wary of it, too!
Interesting re: cooked in the can, I do want to read up on this, time permitting.

For awhile at least, I'm giving LJJ a break - for a few months, until they get it together and fix the problem, as the rep mentioned, I'm guessing it'll be awhile before the "fixed" batches get on the shelves. I'm just not willing to take the risk again any time soon.

Last edited:

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks - will do a review.

As things turn out, I decided to use LJJ's pork, in rotation, no problem.  I'll revisit their turkey in a few months. :)

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any response yet to Lotus? I am feeding feline natural, introducing honest kitchen and using Carna 4 (of course adding water to the baked synthetic free kibble) any info on these foods? I also am trying to find some decent canned foods.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any response yet to Lotus? I am feeding feline natural, introducing honest kitchen and using Carna 4 (of course adding water to the baked synthetic free kibble) any info on these foods? I also am trying to find some decent canned foods.
I stopped using the food, despite giving it a second chance, after I received what seemed like a plausible explanation from the company.

I purchased a few cans that were fine, however, others with a different batch and expiration date still yielded the same black and grey matter on the meat.

Lotus Just Yucky? No thanks.

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I won't be getting any based on this! Can I ask what you feed your kitty or kitties?

ivory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so Lotus emailed back this morning, here is the response re: that black meat:
Code:
Sorry for the delay in answering, I have been out of the office and am playing catch up.  We have investigated this problem and although it looks bad the discolored area is harmless. Let me give you a quick back ground on our Just Juicy hand packed.  We slice and steam cook the meat.  The meat is strained out and we use the broth to make the gravy.  The liquid is put into a mixer along with the vitamin/mineral powders and essentials oils.  If small shards of meat slip through the strainer back into the broth, they come into direct contact with the dry mineral powder before it is dissolved.  This will turn the bits a grey color.  When the broth was piped into the center can, these colored pieces formed an 'eye'.  We have reviewed the process from the point of straining the meat to the filling of the cans to prevent this from occurring in the future. If you would give us a mailing address we will happily send you a replacement case from a current production batch.
Hi, I am thinking of introducing lotus just juicy turkey or First Mate Salmin and tuna canned food. I saw the thread about lotus blackened food, are you still using lotus just juicy and can I ask what are you feeding now?

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I won't be getting any based on this! Can I ask what you feed your kitty or kitties?
Hi, I do raw now with my two cats, mostly Primal and Fresh is Best.

When I do occasionally give them canned food I use Feline Natural, all human grade ingredients with strict quality control - no funny business with any black meat. :/