Lost My 6 Mo. Old Kitten To Fip Earlier This Year, Now My One Year Old Has It.

LowCalCalzone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has to be a joke. The disease is supposedly rare but what are the odds that the only two cats I have would both get it? It doesn't make any sense to me. I'm so angry and frustrated with this stupid disease and why they haven't found a cure yet. I keep losing my babies and my heart can't take anymore.

Sorry for venting, I just can't believe this. I'm a complete wreck.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry. It's a terrible disease and I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. Vent as much as you need, no one here would ever think any less of you for it.

I'm not very experienced in this area but perhaps others will be along with suggestions for keeping your cat comfortable (though sadly you may already know these things).

Again, probably telling you things you already know, but make sure your vet is sure of the diagnosis. Since the symptoms of FIP can be nonspecific, it is occasionally misdiagnosed. I really don't want to give you false hope (since your cat may very well have it, and somehow I don't think you'd be making this post if you had any doubt), but it's worth mentioning.

Anyway, I'll be thinking of you. You're probably focused on taking care of your cat but make sure to take care of yourself, too. Hang in there.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so so very sorry. Heartbreaking and unfair and cruel. There are no words. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LowCalCalzone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words. They did blood work and an x-ray which showed fluid in the abdomen. She took a sample from his stomach and it was yellow and sticky (usually a surefire sign of FIP). I just can't believe these odds. I love giving kitties a good home but I can't help but feeling like I'm doing something wrong or their doomed as soon as they walk in.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm terribly sorry your six month old kitten succumbed to FIP and now your one year old baby has it. We lost a three year old cat to FIP awhile back so I fully empathize with you. :hugs: It's definitely a nasty and insidious disease.

I hope these links which discuss the current research that is being conducted to treat FIP will provide some insight:
FIP treatment might soon be a reality
Clinical Trial Shows Promise for FIP Treatment
Exciting new research into treatment of FIP | International Cat Care

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can get a PCR test and cytology done on the fluid sample to be certain, but you’re right, yellow sticky fluid tends to be FIP.

I know. It’s just not fair. :( It is not your fault but I understand that feeling. It is so hard. Take lots of pictures (and videos) of the time you have left, get some hair clippings and a pawprint... those are the things I wish I had done when I lost my girl to FIP in December.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your 6 month old kitten to FIP and now your other cat has it. I dont have much experience with this virus, but i have read about it and like you i wonder why there isnt a cure yet, so far all i have read is that some of the symptoms of FIP can be managed. Apparently there is a preventative vacince for FIP called FELOCELL FIP . I am sorry that you are going through this again. I just wish that there was a cure for this awful disease so you and your cat doesnt suffer from it :( I think you should just spend as much time with your cat as you can and love her cuddle her that is all she is needing now. I agree with taking photos and videos of her with you in it as well as much as you can, and other things like a clip of her fur and paw prints etc , these memoirs you take of her will help you when you miss her. This is so sad :( I pray god and his angels in heaven looks after your kitten and that he looks after you during this difficult time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LowCalCalzone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so desperate, I even contacted the professors at the Kansas State who had break-throughs with wet FIP back in Dec. 2017. She was very kind, but told me the trials wouldn't be done again for awhile since the process has become more commercialized. She predicts it won't be another few years before the treatment can be approved through the FDA. I'm just so tired of FIP and don't believe this disease is as rare as people make it out to be. Even out vet told us they had seen an increase in FIP over the years. It's so heartbreaking that there's nothing you can do. Again I can't thank you all for your kind words and letting me heal. This is so hard and I don't know how I'll get through it.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are welcome to vent here anytime. We understand. :hugs: FIP is an evil, horrible, life-shattering trauma to endure and I can’t imagine going through it twice. Hugs to you... So sorry.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for the loss of your kitty and for your other kitty being sick.
But FIP is far from rare, it happens more often that one can think.

Unfortunately there's no treatment or cure for it, and the reasons why the Corona Virus mutate aren't completely known.
Anyway the presence of a FIP cat in a household is a good reason to be worried about other cats.

Again, I'm sorry for your kitties.
I know what it means, I've had a cat with FIP, it's one of the most evil diseases that I have met so far!!!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I so agree with everyone here! FIP stinks. It makes you feel so powerless. I don’t believe it’s that rare, possibly it’s under-diagnosed, though apparently some vets like making the diagnosis too much :( Please don’t forget to take care of yourself, your kitty needs you!