Lost Far From Home

jsed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,
I lost my cat this afternoon and was wondering if you could provide some tips on getting her back. I was in the car with her bringing her from my parent's house where she used to live, to my house. We had been in the car for about 1.5 hours and she was very stressed causing her to go to the bathroom in her carrier. I pulled over to try to clean her and that's when she got away. She ran into the woods behind the store at which I stopped to clean her and her mess. Being that she ran away far from home, is there anything I should know about her behavior and where she might go? I am going to give flyers to the houses nearby, but there are only a few of them as this happened in a rural area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
J jsed She won't have gone far. When cats are lost in an unfamiliar area they bolt to the first hiding spot they can find and hunker down there. They quite often stay put for 2 or 3 days, so your chances of finding her in the next 48 hours are good.

Can you go back to the area she went missing and stay there? I think your best chances of finding her are for you to go back to the same spot and search the woods really thoroughly. Cats are more likely to be active at dusk and dawn, so even spending a night there would give you a good chance of getting her back.

Take a flashlight/torch so you can look for the reflection of her eyes. If she's scared she might not move even though you are close to her, so look for her eyes shining.

Take her used litter with you. The smell will attract her.

Take her favourite food or a toy that she likes. Tap a food can or shake a treat packet. Anything that makes a noise she associates with home will get her attention.

Leave some of your unwashed clothes close the the place where she ran into the woods while you look for her. Cats recognise smells more than they recognise sights, so smelling you near your car might draw her out of hiding.

Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jsed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your replies. I went back this morning right before the sun came up and called her name and shook a bag of food and she came running right out of the woods to me. She never left the spot she ran away.