Looking for recommendations.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, 15, 5 and 3. The 15 year old is on a prescription diet but the other 2 dont need to be. I would like recommendations for high quality CANNED cat food, preferable a chicken or turkey formula (fish might be OK too, as long as it is not just fish.) Please do not suggest raw. Or making my own. I am looking for a high quality canned product. What do you all think?

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I’m no expert in cat food. Some of the more experienced folks on here can tell you the ins and outs of each ingredient. However, my cats eat Wellness canned cat food. It’s probably not the 100% best perfect cat food, but I think it’s a good one and my cats will actually eat it. I have used mostly Turkey Salmon flavor and Chicken Turkey.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have three cats, 15, 5 and 3. The 15 year old is on a prescription diet but the other 2 dont need to be. I would like recommendations for high quality CANNED cat food, preferable a chicken or turkey formula (fish might be OK too, as long as it is not just fish.) Please do not suggest raw. Or making my own. I am looking for a high quality canned product. What do you all think?
My boy is on this for the past 7+ years. he's 8 years old now. He love this brand and loves the texture and it comes with gravy that keeps him hydrated.

IMG_5988.jpg

Lunathefoldcat

Luna and Nall_The Folds
Kitten
Purraise
I am not an expert by any means but I have been researching and experimenting on high quality canned wet food for my young kitties. My cats seem to like Purina One Grain Free Pate for all ages. I recently also tried Smalls, which my cat loves over anything else. Smalls is more on the expensive side since it's subscription based and human grade quality. I feed them Tiki Cat After Dark but more like a topping. We also tried these canned food but my cats did not like them even with slow transition: Natural Feline and Instinct. It really depends if your cat will accept or not. There are several YouTube videos on this topic and it is where I found some of the canned food or quality grade I've been testing with my cats. Happy hunting.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There isn’t such a thing…🤣
Just kidding, I’m in search of something decent too that my cats will eat..

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There isn’t such a thing…🤣
Just kidding, I’m in search of something decent too that my cats will eat..
“that my cats will eat” THAT is my biggest problem. Sweet furry fluffy little picky babies 😻😻

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had good experiences with the human-grade canned brands of Nature's Logic and Tiki Cat. Just be forewarned that neither canned food nor kibble will provide the DENTAL MAINTENANCE your cats need. The abrasive action of chewing on raw meat and bones cleans your cats' teeth like nothing else can. Dental cleanings and procedures are mighty expensive, but letting dental maintenance slide is even worse. A cat experiencing dental pain could be developing an abscess or a tumor, mouth pain causes cats to not want to eat, and going longer too long without eating can send the cat into a deadly liver condition called hepatic lipidosis. If you don't want to feed your cat raw meals, perhaps at least consider feeding him raw bones. My cat is fed entirely human-grade raw meals with the occasional bit of human-grade canned food.

Examples of raw bones my cat eats are duck or turkey neck bones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ummm.. One of my cats just had a dental procedure and the other two have also had dental procedures. I have been told never to give cats bones of any kind.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi myrnafaye myrnafaye ,
My vet suggested that we choose a couple different brands/formulas and mix up the feedings in case there's a shortage or recipe change that makes them turn their nose up.

Mostly, my cats eat Purina Pro Plan urinary as prevention (regular in store one, chicken). They also like the Purina kitten pate and chicken and rice. They also like Iams perfect portions which has a pretty simplistic ingredients list. I've subbed in some fancy feast turkey on occasion which is doing okay now.
Ghost likes to have Applepaws as a treat.
When it's on sale I like to get Wureva lamb and give it to them for one of their meals.

Mixing it up helps keep them interested and I hope not having too much of one or the other will help if there's ever an issue.

Lunathefoldcat

Luna and Nall_The Folds
Kitten
Purraise
Hi myrnafaye myrnafaye ,
My vet suggested that we choose a couple different brands/formulas and mix up the feedings in case there's a shortage or recipe change that makes them turn their nose up.

Mostly, my cats eat Purina Pro Plan urinary as prevention (regular in store one, chicken). They also like the Purina kitten pate and chicken and rice. They also like Iams perfect portions which has a pretty simplistic ingredients list. I've subbed in some fancy feast turkey on occasion which is doing okay now.
Ghost likes to have Applepaws as a treat.
When it's on sale I like to get Wureva lamb and give it to them for one of their meals.

Mixing it up helps keep them interested and I hope not having too much of one or the other will help if there's ever an issue.
I do the same thing. It's also a way for me to know what they like or not. But mainly because I don't want to them to get bored and your vet is spot on, just in case of discontinues, recipe change, ect. Always good to get them used to a variety. It's like us humans, I don't want to eat the same thing all the time.