Looking for help on finding a fitting name.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He wont listen to anything acts deaf to even the meow or kitty that most of them look at you for doing. Only sound that makes him turn his head is the sound of a ball with a bell in it.

Normally they name there selves. This guy really does just seem to say who needs names

I think Pickles is right so far

Maybe he is simply a kitty that needs a new name every day to suit the mood.  Like a kaleidoscope.  ha ha
He's still getting his daily "names"

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's not going to just come to a name magically. It takes cats a while to realize what word means "them". Once you pick one, you should use it a lot. I also once read you should pet them and say thier name while they eat, but I'm not sure if that really helps.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats accepted and responded to his name right away, even though he had several others before he came to us. Carrot was just perfect for him and he agreed. With our kitten, we had to just name her and run with it. Now that she knows "Angua" means her she responds to the name perfectly. I guess some cats pick names and others want them picked for them.

I think Kaleidoscope is a good name if he's always changing. That could be shortened nicely to Kal.

Hope you find a good name for him soon.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He's not going to just come to a name magically. It takes cats a while to realize what word means "them". Once you pick one, you should use it a lot. I also once read you should pet them and say thier name while they eat, but I'm not sure if that really helps.
 it helps. That's how I got all of my pets to know their names and that's what my grandpa told me to do when I was 4 and gave me my 1st dog, which was a boxer..

It generally helps if you associate the name with something fun and positive. Like playtime.

Grizzly e.g. responds perfectly when I go "where is Grizzly? where is Grizzly??"  (always twice - don't ask me why, I don't know! LOL) cause it sets the beginning of playtime. 

One of my cats accepted and responded to his name right away, even though he had several others before he came to us. Carrot was just perfect for him and he agreed. With our kitten, we had to just name her and run with it. Now that she knows "Angua" means her she responds to the name perfectly. I guess some cats pick names and others want them picked for them.

I think Kaleidoscope is a good name if he's always changing. That could be shortened nicely to Kal.

Hope you find a good name for him soon.
Animals tend to associate a name or a word to something to respond or to avoid. When that name or word is related to something positive (like food, walk, play, petting etc) they "choose" that, to respond to. My rott, used to respond to the word "food" .. He would sell his mother for food. Worst case of gluttony I ever had with an animal! LOL He almost stopped responding to his actual name. So, when it was feeding time, we referred to food as "bowl" so he wouldn't get overexcited. We had to re-train him back to his name.. 

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like a few people already said for me i wasn't expecting him to come to any name. Most of other cats would turn there heads like that word sounded interesting to them then we worked on that name till they new it. Not that they like coming when called lmao. Loki isn't a very friendly cat so just wants to be left alone. Chief turns to you like I know I'm being called but you come to me lol. He likes everything his way and where he wants it. Snickers will come to her name almost every time shes called and likes to follow us around the house. This kitten doesn't seem to find any word interesting right off the bat. Think were going with Apache/Patch.

My dogs like to respond to even a look as us calling there name lol. They know there names but still act jealous and come when you call the other one or any of the cats lmao.

Last edited:

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really like the name Apache.
 I hope you find a name that sticks soon. 

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He does turn his head to look most of the time.

Again thank you guys.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about Acute? It's a triangle and he's a cutie. It works on so many levels. Sorry I couldn't resist the pun.

I would go with Link or Triforce over Zelda because he's a boy. I like those because that's probably my all-time favorite video game. Did he, or you, not like those?

Totem, Hopi, Apache, Cochise, Blackfoot, Choctaw, or Pawnee are 2 syllable Native American names that would be easy to call out.

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
lol he is a cutie and a sweetie.

I didn't really think link fit for him. They are good games tho.

I started calling him Aztec but came up with Apache and my BF said yes to that one right away and the little guy actually turned his head when I said it to him unlike with the others. He still doesn't know it as his name but does look at me about half the time I say it so just got to work on him knowing its his name and maybe to come when called lol. My BF still calls him Munchkin to and he will be called that till be is done growing and gets over at least 6lbs our old cat that was 5lbs full grow was always called by her name but also as little munchkin. Chief was also called Munchkin till he got around 6lbs or so he's now 12lbs and no longer a munchkin lol. He also is still a little Beardo Monkey. We like our nick names.

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't know until recently that my cats name Tallulah is native American it means Leaping Water it's from the Choctaw people.

I know it's often used as a girls name but it's meaning doesn't indicate male or female

I also like Grey Wolf and Grey Arrow

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot of times, it's not a name they're responding to, but your tone of voice. Congrats on finding a name he's at least acknowledged. Aztec is nice and masculine sounding too. Nice choice.

missycab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a thread for names? I mean, like a name database. If not, it'd be really cool to create one, maybe list them alphabetically, and add a description or explanation if it's a name with a meaning or in a different language.

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a fun Idea it would be a very VERY long forum tho wouldn't it lol.

missycab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started a thread in this same forum (The Cat's Meow).

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how about lakota? it goes well with loki..

Last edited:

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you're still considering an Egyptian name, I like Pharaoh as others have suggested. You could call him Tut or Ra, or Scarab.

Or for something less unusual, how about Carter? Howard Carter was the archaeologist who searched year after year for the legendary King Tut's tomb, coming up empty every time. It got to the point where other scholars thought he was on a fool's errand, that King Tut never even existed, and Carter's patron, Lord Carnavon, had lost his patience and was only going to fund one final season for Carter to dig in the Valley of the Kings...and that's when Carter found it: The most incredible, intact and flawless tomb ever found, never touched by grave robbers, filled with treasures like the iconic funerary mask and sarcophagus that are so familiar to us today.

Good name for a cat, yeah? ;)

I struggled with names as well, and asked for ideas here. I named my kitten Khal Drogo, because I really wanted something from Game of Thrones, but his most-used name is simply Buddy or Bud. That's because I was calling him buddy when I coudlnt think of a name, and it just stuck. Now he answers to Bud or Buddy. He's still Drogo on his carrier and get forms, but he's really Buddy. And I love my little Buddy!

Good luck with finding a name that sticks...when you do, you will know it.

Last edited:

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about Fire?

Fire played an important role in the traditions of Native Americans and was present in all ceremonies and rituals.  Fire acts as a Messenger and is a gift from the Great Spirit. Smoke for the fire was used to cleanses sacred items, such as drums, shakers, pipes, before ceremonial use. Fire symbolized the heart of the People and its smoke, which could also be created in a pipe, carried prayers to the Great Spirit. The Fire Symbol represents cleansing and renewal because out of the ashes of a fire comes new growth and new thoughts and ideas.

He has a 'flame' on his forehead and he is the color of smoke (and where there is smoke, there is Fire!) . He is also a new growth in your family, and I am sure he will invoke many new thoughts and ideas. 

Seems like a perfect fit!