Looking for help on finding a fitting name.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What about Fire?

Fire played an important role in the traditions of Native Americans and was present in all ceremonies and rituals.  Fire acts as a Messenger and is a gift from the Great Spirit. Smoke for the fire was used to cleanses sacred items, such as drums, shakers, pipes, before ceremonial use. Fire symbolized the heart of the People and its smoke, which could also be created in a pipe, carried prayers to the Great Spirit. The Fire Symbol represents cleansing and renewal because out of the ashes of a fire comes new growth and new thoughts and ideas.

He has a 'flame' on his forehead and he is the color of smoke (and where there is smoke, there is Fire!) . He is also a new growth in your family, and I am sure he will invoke many new thoughts and ideas. 

Seems like a perfect fit!
I like the idea.. But just now, I imagined @yasha2802   calling for the kitty time after time if she can't find him..? Like he's hiding somewhere and she wants him to come to her..?

"Fire!..... Fire! ... Fire!..." I don't think the neighbours will appreciate it..! LOL But it is such a good idea for a name! Especially since he indeed has a flame-shaped mark on his forehead.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I can see your point! LOL

You might want to consider an alternative then ... something like Flame, Blaze, Ember, Inferno, Flicker, Kindle, Flare, or Torch? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the ideas and lol Grizzly I'm sure your right that would make a few people come out of there homes to see what was going on. More so when they get out in the middle of the night or 1st thing in the morning and I'm walking up and down the street and looking under there house while calling.

I also agree Ember is a nice name but I think I'm just going to stay with Apache. Apache still doesn't seem to fit as well as or other pets names do but it works and I felt I needed to pick something sooner then later to start teaching him. He really is just to open to any name that none really click.

I used to have a gray cat called Ashes.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I really like Apache! I will have to store that one away for my rescue list. (We try not to repeat names, so am always looking for new ones!)

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try not reusing names also and I find it harder and harder some times. I can only imagine doing so with a rescue. I think I've only ever reused a name 1 time and it was for my rats when I was in middle school. I had Noddingham and Noddingham the 2nd. It was mom and her daughter. The both looked alittle the same cream color and both Nodded there heads all the time. SunBear was another name I used for a black one with a white spot on his chest like a sunbears markings.

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a update for you guys late update but still....

Turns our Apache is a girl. She seems to know her name but doesn't really want us to know that lmao(never care to acknowledge us calling her).

Shes a VERY strong little girl only 5lb so far but already as strong as Chief and she LOVES hunting which brings me to this....

I was catfishing last night and you just have to see what I caught

This particular catfish was both very strong and aggressive. I heard it making growling noises as it fought for the bate, having already broken one lure. I switched to using 2. I tried keeping her on 1 line while using the 2nd to keep her from running to far and breaking the 1st.  Sadly this didn't work as she fond her chance to bite both of them and we started a game of war. In the end this one won and ran away with its victory prize.

In other news we fond our selfs caring for an other kitten that looks like it maybe related. A very sweet very young little girl with a interesting marking of her own.

What do you guys think this marking looks like?

We know what we think it looks like and I'll share that, her name and some more pictures of her later after I get you guys answer.

Last edited:

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you like Native American names how about Squaw. Ember is beautiful also that marking on her back looks like a thunder bird. I don't know the Native American word for Bird.

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not really looking for names any more just felt this was the best place to update about her name. Apache doesn't really sound very female but not a male name as she now knows it so that's hers.

As fish this kitten its our hope we don't end up with a 5th cat. We had two couples interested but seems both backed out. Tho my bf and I love the new kitten we will both me killed if we keep a 5th cat lmao. We have a bird related name were calling it for the time being but that's just so we don't call it the kitten the whole time we care for it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I think the marking looks like a bat or bird with wings extended. Looking forward to hearing your take and the new girl's name!

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

We know what we think it looks like and I'll share that, her name and some more pictures of her later after I get you guys answer.
It looks sort of like an eagle to me.

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I immediately saw a white dove - the symbol of love and peace. 

yasha2802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My bf and I also saw a bird but we saw the long swoop of the wings and the tail looked like it had two points. It made us think of a few birds of pray like Kite but mostly a swallow. Swallow doesn't sound to good a name so we looked for a different bird like them and came up with Swift.

Swift doesn't fully fit the color like dove does but its more of the shape we saw.

So Swift was our fast pick for a name. Not really looking for a different name as we don't plan to keep her but if you guys do come up with anything you would like to suggest we can give the list to the new owners.

Little Swift.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great name! And she is absolutely adorable! I love all the white patches down her back. And that face! :heart3:

Last edited:

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quinn, dunno why just as soon as I saw his pic that name came into my head, I think he looks like a Quinn. People used to laugh that my cat was named Frank, but he looked like a Frank to us. A look can mean a lot when choosing a name.

rad63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The bird patch looks like a Thunderbird to me but Swift is pretty good.