Looking for guesses

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im looking for a couple guesses as to whats going on with Boots. I took him in monday because i thought he swallowed something. They put him under gas and found alot of tumors in his throat. The results for the type of tumor will come back on monday. Until then, its all a guess. So monday night he was understandably tired. He slept with me. Then tues morning he was so full of energy. He was climbing on shelves, playing with the kitten. Hes 12 and usually never does that sort of thing. I thought it was the pain meds, but it was only onsior i gave to him for 3 days and hes still in a good mood. Im sure hes better because the tumors are gone. But better than when i adopted him 1 year ago? Im wondering if anyone knows anything about cancer in cats and also pain. Hes had alot of pain the last month, just jumping on things, getting on my bed. Trying to go up the cat tower. Now its gone. And he quit taking onsior thursday. Another question is how could a cat get cancer? I dont see him as that old personally. Some cats live until 20. He eats very healthy mostly all wet food and even gets cat supplements. Pic below is him playing with toys, something hes never really done.
1577568603803634935424.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am glad to hear Boots is being so playful!!! I hope it continues!!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: The tumors could have been bugging him enough that now they are gone, he feels relieved not to be bothered by them. They might have been bugging him a year ago, but just not as much, for all you know, right??

You don't know - for sure - that it is cancer. Older cats also get benign tumor growths as well - just like older people. But, in either case, I don't think anyone has an answer as to why they get cancer. I am sure it is for similar reasons as to why humans get cancer - environmental in general (I am not talking your home, but just the overall world pollutions), not to mention genetics.

My Gracie (RIP at 12) had cancer - no one knows why, she just did. I lost Tawny at 15 to FIP. I am working very hard to hopefully help Feeby (15+) get WAY beyond that - but, there is only so much I can do. We all take care of our cats - as do you - to the best of our ability. And, beyond that, we have to deal with what comes. I hope it is not cancer, but if it is, you will take care of Boots and keep him from harm's way - including pain, if it comes to that - the best you can. And, enjoy every day you have with him - be that a short time, or perhaps a long time to come.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even very young cats. like very young humans, can get cancer. It is primarily a disease of aging, but not always. And I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , that he may have been having issues with the tumors when you got him...now, that could be in your favor, as it would indicate a slower-growing cancer, and a better chance for him! Regardless of the final outcome, for now, just enjoy him enjoying life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I get the test results tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any news yet?
Im very upset because I've called the vet's office and they won't give me the results because Boots' doctor is on vacation and needs to read the results. It's absolutely ridiculous. The results are back. A doctor needs to read them though.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WELL SPIT! That's absurd. OK...so I can sorta see it, but SOMEONE there at the clinic should be able to give you answers! Is there not a covering doctor?

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im very upset because I've called the vet's office and they won't give me the results because Boots' doctor is on vacation and needs to read the results. It's absolutely ridiculous. The results are back. A doctor needs to read them though.
Oh my gosh I'd be a mess. Im hoping you get some good news! When does your doc get back? They should at be able to email you I'd think.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get any answers yet? I can understand that a vet needs to look at the results and talk to you, but if your vet is on vacation is there not another vet who could do that so you aren't waiting? (Maybe I am spoiled, I have a local vet clinic and a large vet hospital and with permission they share records, of course I prefer to see my regular vet, but if he is away there are other vets covering his work that can help)

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WELL SPIT! That's absurd. OK...so I can sorta see it, but SOMEONE there at the clinic should be able to give you answers! Is there not a covering doctor?
Oh my gosh I'd be a mess. Im hoping you get some good news! When does your doc get back? They should at be able to email you I'd think.
Did you get any answers yet? I can understand that a vet needs to look at the results and talk to you, but if your vet is on vacation is there not another vet who could do that so you aren't waiting? (Maybe I am spoiled, I have a local vet clinic and a large vet hospital and with permission they share records, of course I prefer to see my regular vet, but if he is away there are other vets covering his work that can help)
I did finally get answers after a week and a half after the vet had the wrong phone number and the receptionist was very rude over the phone. It's enosiniphilic stomatitis. Not cancer which is good. So Boots will be taking prednisone.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
THe heart purraise was for the last two sentences only! You have a diagnosis which is NOT cancer, and the right meds. But I'm more than a little unhappy about what you went through!

bpenniman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
THe heart purraise was for the last two sentences only! You have a diagnosis which is NOT cancer, and the right meds. But I'm more than a little unhappy about what you went through!
He's doing alot better. He has an appointment Friday where they will run some tests to see how his immune system and body are doing.