Looking for anyone that had this happen

Erickins39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So have a beautiful white long haired kitty named Penny Sue, she’s 3yrs old. I raised her from 3wks old as she was an orphaned kitten outside. We had a very good bond up until last Thursday. We were in The kitchen she was eating and all a sudden she freaked out like something had terrified her and then started to run away as if she were being chased and now she is terrified of me of all people. She will come out to my husband but as soon as I walk into the room she flees as if she were running for her life. She hides all day. I took her to the vet that Friday and they weren’t really sure, her bloodwork came back normal and I had asked them of FHS. So they agreed wether or not they knew what it was and put her on gabapentine which is used for seizures. I gave her a couple doses which then also made her more fearful of me to the point she won’t come around me and I mean she hides all day. I called the vet today to see about amitriptyline because I do have that medicine in a transdermal gel already for another cat that always overgroomed his belly and he is the same weight and I’m still waiting for the call back. Will this resolve? And do you think when she had the freak out in the kitchen and I was in the same room, does she associate me with that fear know?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So sorry this is going on with Penny Sue. It does sound as though she is associating you with whatever it was that initially freaked her out. There's actually a term to describe that type of aggression, as explained in the TCS article Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles.

Hopefully her fear will lessen, and the vet will determine if there is anything medically going on with her. Good luck. Hope things are back to normal soon. :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erickins39

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry this is going on with Penny Sue. It does sound as though she is associating you with whatever it was that initially freaked her out. There's actually a term to describe that type of aggression, as explained in the TCS article Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles.

Hopefully her fear will lessen, and the vet will determine if there is anything medically going on with her. Good luck. Hope things are back to normal soon. :redheartpump:
Thank you so much! I hope so too!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, this is super common. "A" gets scared and blames "B" pet or human that happens to be nearby. I had this happen for the first time with my current cats today. Little cat got stuck in the curtains and blamed big cat. She is normally so timid, and she likes big cat very much, but she went after him with murder on her mind! Was very bizarre. In my case today, a separation of two hours was sufficient to fully reset the cat's relationship, but its not unusual for some cats to require much longer.

Let her be for a bit, and then come on very slowly, only doing stuff she is ready for. To so extent, you might have to treat her as a new cat for a little bit. But it hasn't been very long in the scheme of things.