Looking For Advice Regarding Skittish Cat

crazycatlass

Professional Cat Furniture
Young Cat
Purraise
Specifically, our male cat, Skidd. It's normal for kittens to experience the always-amusing 'jump through the roof' reaction, but most cats grow out of it. Skidd never grew out of it...it's actually gotten worse. Our vet has actually prescribed him medication for anxiety because he's so skittish, but he is a MASTER of pill-avoidance.
Skidd's a few years old now, and still skittish. The slightest sound can send him almost a foot in the air. Someone slamming a car door outside makes him bolt for cover. Even the sound of a neighbor shutting their window too roughly frightens him...and don't even get me started about the fourth of July. We've started to wonder if maybe he was abused before we adopted him, but have no way of knowing - he was a pound kitty, not even a year old, and didn't seem skittish...just...gassy. Very. Gassy.
Ahem. Anyway, we've tried many ways of combating his anxiety. Feliway calming diffusers didn't help much and were expensive. Keeping catnip out just sparked junkie-wars with our older cat. Extra loving and cuddles are clearly appreciated but don't seem to help. We even let the vet talk us into a bag of prescription cat food meant for calming skittish cats; fifty bucks and it just made him puke. :sigh:
My partner and I have altered our own behavior to minimize sudden noises and startling him, but there's only so much we can do. We live in an apartment complex in the thick of town, so there're sudden noises everywhere! We COULD reach out to our neighbors about not slamming doors and shouting, but he's even startled over footsteps from the floor above ours! Not to mention it's unfair to our neighbors to ask them to be quiet for our cat...Worst of all, a few nights ago, Skidd bit my partner out of fear. We were all three sleeping and Skidd was curled up in Eric's arms - he loves sleeping like that, and cat-gas aside, it's like holding a warm, purring teddy bear. Next thing we knew, he spooked - why, we don't know - and in his fear, he latched onto Eric's hand by the teeth, clawing like a maniac. Eric and I woke up to find Skidd freaking out and his hand bleeding, with no idea what transpired. The bite has abscessed despite proper care and his hand has swollen up like a bloody balloon.
We've GOT to find another option for improving Skidd's anxiety, and especially one that's affordable...meaning cheap. I've been looking around and have been wondering about calming collars, sprays, and other brands of calming diffusers, but wanted another opinion. Has anyone got any advice? Have you had success with any of these products, or any others? Is there anything we can do to help build up his tolerance to sudden noises or other triggers? Than you much!
(Photo shows Skidd as a kitten, in classic 'teddy bear' position. He's such a sweet boy...)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise