Looking for a dog! Ontario!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

agreed very good looking girl...

possible mastiff / gsd could create that look..

I hear they do genetics tests now
That was our first thought before we saw a pic. of the anatolian. I wouldn't spend money on a genetic test, not worth it for me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol I would not either but when I rescued my new pup a lady was looking and said they have dna tests so you can know and she had one done on her dog

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anatolian mixes are quite common in Canada (not purebreds, but mixes) we have had quite a few come into the shelter recently here and lmunsie isnt far from me so it could well be.

She already looks happier in your newest pics (I love Cello's bed btw)

I am glad we only feed the dogs one food, even if it is Hills, at least the animals get the same thing. Poor baby, I cant imagine any of our females getting any food with the males either, thankfully they are all fed and housed in separate runs with just supervised play time

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Anatolian mixes are quite common in Canada (not purebreds, but mixes) we have had quite a few come into the shelter recently here and lmunsie isnt far from me so it could well be.

She already looks happier in your newest pics (I love Cello's bed btw)
hehehe yeah, i made cello's bed myself!, i'm going to have to make her a bigger bed! preferably one that matches my bedroom.

I am glad we only feed the dogs one food, even if it is Hills, at least the animals get the same thing. Poor baby, I cant imagine any of our females getting any food with the males either, thankfully they are all fed and housed in separate runs with just supervised play time
Oh I know, when I found out how she was living for the past months I couldn't believe it
. A woman from a niagara falls rescue contacted us, she tries to pull the timid dogs from that shelter because they don't do well, knew about this dog, and that's how we ended up with her!

lovemytrent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is just gorgeous, thank you for giving her a loving home! I definitely see a lot of German shepherd in there, and who knows? There could be a good deal of Anatolian shepherd in there. I wouldn't know, having never seen one, though.

As for her breath and teeth, have you considered giving her recreational bones to chew on? Raw knuckle bones with a good deal of meat still on, checken necks, etc.? They do wonders for a dog's teeth.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyTrent

As for her breath and teeth, have you considered giving her recreational bones to chew on? Raw knuckle bones with a good deal of meat still on, checken necks, etc.? They do wonders for a dog's teeth.
Raw beef ribs do it for my dogs. Shiny clean! If she's not spayed yet you can have her teeth cleaned when she's spayed. If she's already spayed, I'd be reluctant to put her under for just a dental. Try the raw bones first.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
raw bones are wonderful ... make sure the bone matches the dog
... ie small bones do not equal a large dog

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

raw bones are wonderful ... make sure the bone matches the dog
... ie small bones do not equal a large dog
where do you buy these, 'large' raw bones?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

where do you buy these, 'large' raw bones?
here do to demand the local grocer ( they do much of the butchering in house )... Any pet store with a raw section will have them...

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If you have a Global Ryans near you they usually have them
That's where I buy all my pet food. Just haven't been in the dog section yet! lol.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I a member over there so I will have to keep checking in")

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so glad you rescued her, so many people are not willing to deal with any issues - they want an instant pet from an adult shelter dog.
Dealing with these issues, wasn't the plan. But as I've realized with adopting older pets, or heck, getting a puppy/kitten, they rarely follow 'the plan' and you just have to be prepared to go with it, and hope you get stuff you can and are prepared to deal with.

Edit: and most importantly, to not be afraid to ask for help.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a guy in yesterday who wanted a puppy but was disgusted that the stray puppies we picked up who are only 8 weeks, were not housetrained yet.

It amazes me what people expect from rescue animals

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to get an idea, of her posture and body language outside, and after 4 ideas of getting settled.....