long term loose stool

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenkitty

Keep in touch with me on Coco because it looks like Shadow is following Coco's trend.

Regards,

jenkitty
I think we posted at the same time. See my post right above your last one.

jenkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks mschauer.

I am glad to hear that Coco is doing better.
I hope that it stays that way forever. Yes I think that Shadow is worse off unfortunately. I am happy to hear that you found something that works. One day I hope to say the same for Shadow! Sometimes I think I have found the answer and then she gets sick again. I love the litte stinker so much, I hope nothing is terribly wrong like with her kidneys or liver but I will soon find out.

Have a purrrrfect weekend!

jenkitty

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenkitty

Thanks mschauer.

I am glad to hear that Coco is doing better.
I hope that it stays that way forever. Yes I think that Shadow is worse off unfortunately. I am happy to hear that you found something that works. One day I hope to say the same for Shadow! Sometimes I think I have found the answer and then she gets sick again. I love the litte stinker so much, I hope nothing is terribly wrong like with her kidneys or liver but I will soon find out.
I know just how you feel. I was *so* relieved when I found a solution for Coco.

I hope you find something that helps Shadow soon.

Have a purrrrfect weekend!

jenkitty
Thanks! You too!

river

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think probios has been giving my boys diarrhea. When I first switched to Raw, my boys stool went back to normal. Then for a couple weeks I gave them probios along with Raw in order to also give them canned once in a while later on. Well they started having diarrhea again, I thought maybe this whole thing was due to a parasite or worms but when I stopped the probios their stool went back to normal. I'm going to try Eagle Holistic Transitions or Solutions in a few days and see how that goes.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was going to wait about a week longer to report how the EP Holistic solution is doing for Zoe....but since you're thinking about it, I wanted to say it's worth giving it a shot.
Thanks to mschauer's recommendation in this thread and her answering a few questions from me (Thanks again!
), I bought some for Zoe last Saturday to see if it would help with being able to offer her some dry food along with her canned.
She has always gotten really soft stools anytime I tried giving her dry (which she really enjoys) but had "perfect" stools on canned. How backwards is that?

I am happy to say that after just a few days of sprinkiling a bit of the EP solution on her food she started firming up even while getting to eat some dry. I started out slowly on the EP and slowly adding in the dry offerings and while the poop is not "perfect
" they are getting more and more formed and not leaving her messy.
So basically this is a long way of saying I am very glad I read this thread and gave it a try....it's making life easier for me(I don't have to chase her down and clean her up) and Zoe(she gets to eat the food she wants).

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RaggieKitty

I was going to wait about a week longer to report how the EP Holistic solution is doing for Zoe....but since you're thinking about it, I wanted to say it's worth giving it a shot.
Thanks to mschauer's recommendation in this thread and her answering a few questions from me (Thanks again!
), I bought some for Zoe last Saturday to see if it would help with being able to offer her some dry food along with her canned.
She has always gotten really soft stools anytime I tried giving her dry (which she really enjoys) but had "perfect" stools on canned. How backwards is that?

I am happy to say that after just a few days of sprinkiling a bit of the EP solution on her food she started firming up even while getting to eat some dry. I started out slowly on the EP and slowly adding in the dry offerings and while the poop is not "perfect
" they are getting more and more formed and not leaving her messy.
So basically this is a long way of saying I am very glad I read this thread and gave it a try....it's making life easier for me(I don't have to chase her down and clean her up) and Zoe(she gets to eat the food she wants).
I'm *soo* glad it helped. I know what a relief it is for you!

The various probiotic products have differing ingredients. It could that different formulas work better for different causes of loose stools. If someone is considering trying a probiotic it is probably a good idea to use the *exact* one that someone else has had success with for a cat with a similar history as theirs. In my case Coco was perfectly healthly and active and had no history of taking antibiotics or having any health problems.
And, in her case, it seems she will need the supplement for life. When I stop it, the loose stools come back. This is after she has been taking the supplement daily for about 3 mos.

Loose stools seem to be a *very* common problem in otherwise healthy cats. I hope everyone with this problem finds a solution.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by river

I think probios has been giving my boys diarrhea. When I first switched to Raw, my boys stool went back to normal. Then for a couple weeks I gave them probios along with Raw in order to also give them canned once in a while later on. Well they started having diarrhea again, I thought maybe this whole thing was due to a parasite or worms but when I stopped the probios their stool went back to normal. I'm going to try Eagle Holistic Transitions or Solutions in a few days and see how that goes.
Don't forget to introduce it slowly. I didn't have to but others have reported that they need to.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to have found this thread. My 4 week old Lucy Belle have the same loose stool problem mentioned by everyone here. The first few times she pooped, when she was under a week old, her stool was a little firmer but afterwards, while she was still on KMR, her stool became looser. I took her to the VET and he mentioned that while it is loose, there is still form to it and not to worry.

Her loose stool has continued ever since, even after I started KMR and EVO blend, as a way to start introducing her to semi solid food. I read that pumpkin is a great way to firm up her stool and it worked like magic. But once I stopped, the loose stool came back!

I am hoping to try EP Holistic next and do away with EVO since her poop stinks while she's on it. Right now, the only solution is to add pumpkin into her diet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

Glad to have found this thread. My 4 week old Lucy Belle have the same loose stool problem mentioned by everyone here. The first few times she pooped, when she was under a week old, her stool was a little firmer but afterwards, while she was still on KMR, her stool became looser. I took her to the VET and he mentioned that while it is loose, there is still form to it and not to worry.

Her loose stool has continued ever since, even after I started KMR and EVO blend, as a way to start introducing her to semi solid food. I read that pumpkin is a great way to firm up her stool and it worked like magic. But once I stopped, the loose stool came back!

I am hoping to try EP Holistic next and do away with EVO since her poop stinks while she's on it. Right now, the only solution is to add pumpkin into her diet.
Try a simplier wet .. at her age she should have BENE bac as it is designed for pre weaning

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
both of my kittens have very smelly and very loose stools. According to the vet they are perfectly healthy.

the ONLY thing that helped it a raw diet. as long as they eat nothing but raw they're perfect.
If they get dry food or canned wet = diarhea and vomiting

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by saya

both of my kittens have very smelly and very loose stools. According to the vet they are perfectly healthy.

the ONLY thing that helped it a raw diet. as long as they eat nothing but raw they're perfect.
If they get dry food or canned wet = diarhea and vomiting
Feeding raw is frequently a solution to loose stools that isn't associated with a medical problem. Some cats don't take to raw though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Feeding raw is frequently a solution to loose stools that isn't associated with a medical problem. Some cats don't take to raw though.
the reason raw works is it is the most digestable and the enzymes in the meat break it down so the cats digestive system does not... Proand pre biotics do the same for the kittys that prefer cooked food

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update since it seems that so many of us have kitties with poo issues:

Zoe is a healthy, happy 7 months old ragdoll who has had no problems at all...always great checkups at vets....EXCEPT she has had the loose stool issues. Not watery, not extremely gross, just soft ones that left her with a messy behind and she was not able to eat dry food at all.
Since finding this thread and asking mschauer just a "few" questions
I have tried the Eagle Pack Holistic Solution and I am just really amazed at the results. A week after trying it (just starting with a little sprinkle on her wet meals) she had improved alot and was eating small amounts of dry along with her daily wet portions. It's just been a week and a half now and her stools are just right (as in formed)! No mess! She is snacking on dry kitten food in between her wet meals and she's a very happy cat right now.

I know some of y'all have been thinking of trying this and if that's the only issue your's have like Zoe's...it's really worth a shot. Goodness knows I have tried several different brands of food with no help, so spending the $3 something dollars on this and having it work has been remarkable!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Prosperity

I am going to search for this right now.
If you try it be sure to let us know if it helps or not.

Also, if you try it, be sure to introduce it slowly. I didn't have to with Coco but others have gotten better results by doing it.

prosperity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I searched it out and it is probiotics. My cats already take probiotics. I may wait a while before I give a different kind a shot.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Prosperity

I searched it out and it is probiotics. My cats already take probiotics. I may wait a while before I give a different kind a shot.
Yes, Holistic Solution is a probiotic supplement. Have you compared the ingredients with what you are currently using? Different brands have different ingredients. If what you are currently using isn't fully resolving your problem it might help to try one with different ingredients.