Long Standing Inappropriate Litter Box Use Permanent?

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Cat People!

I have a 12 year old kitty. Due to some behavior issues she lives most of the time in my master bedroom. I do have one other cat but he is never is allowed in the master bedroom, so the space is all hers. I am working with a Pet Behaviorist on trying to get the cats to live together but there is a lot of baggage against that. Her name is MooMoo. MooMoo only uses the litter box 70% of the time. She will both urinate and defecate both in and out of the litter box. She only goes within 6 feet of the box. Never anywhere else. So it is always in or near the box. I cannot figure out why. She doesnt cry in pain, she doesnt have loose stool, she doesn't have blood. She does jump in and out quickly, like the less time in the box the better. And she digs at the carpet around her box. She never covers up any of her messes in the box.

1. I have changed her litter from regular Tidy Cat stuff to a more sand like corn based product (better for her, me, and the environment). Neither type of litter seemed to make a difference.
2. I use Cat Attract. Also does not seem to matter.
3. I clean it 2-3 times a day mainly because I am home.
4. I replace the litter once a month
5. I use a lidless extra large low profile flat box with no liner because she is older
6. It is tucked away in an alcove of my bedroom with low foot traffic but enough space for her to not feel cornered
7. The vet has cleared her medically
8. We use Feliway, a calming collar, and just recently put her on anti-anxiety medication
9. I have a UV light, enzymatic cleaners, and even bought a carpet shampooer to ensure no hidden messes

Her background is that she used to belong to my grandmother who passed away 6 months ago. She lived the first 12 years of her life with my grandmother until I took her in 6 months ago. During the time with my grandmother she was a solo pet. My grandmother was not very well so she did not clean her litter box often. Sometimes going weeks without cleaning it. The cat got used to going all over the house and avoiding the port-o-potty litter box. I have been trying to reteach her, but maybe after 12 years of one behavior it is too late to reteach her?
20210513_065634.jpg
257220237.jpg.jpg

Aeoh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s so pretty!

I had issues similar to this with kittens. They’d jump in, then jump out and not use the box.

What worked for me was:
  • placing puppy pads outside of the box where they were going (easy clean up too)
  • and then transitioning the puppy pads to an empty litter box covering the spot where the problem kitten was using the restroom.
  • After a few days and uses, I put a light layer of litter over the puppy pad in the box.
  • Next step -removed puppy pad completely, kept the box in that location, and she continued using it and didn’t have any more accidents.
Good luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. MooMoo is a very pretty kitty! I agree with the above suggested approach. I would also have x-rays - if not already done - to see if she has arthritis. Aches and pains from arthritis can come and go, explaining why she might use the litter box some of the time and not at other times. If she does have arthritis, there are a number of supplements you can try, as well as pain meds if your vet thinks that would be appropriate.

This cat has been through a lot, so some of the issue is likely tied to a new home, a new owner, the loss of her long time owner, and another cat to deal with. It wouldn't surprise me that it will take her a very long time to adapt which hopefully entails proper litter box use as well. The older the cat and the more changes that are involved, the harder and longer the transition time.

Aside from the behaviorist, you don't actually say what introductions you have tried - if any - or how MooMoo is responding to your cat - or, even how your cat is responding to another cat in his home. So, not knowing any of that, you might want to take a look at these TCS articles for some assistance in making a plan. It seems like you are trying to resolve the litter box aspect first, which is probably a good idea.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles

P.S. I have a 16+ yo cat who has never bothered to cover up her 'stuff' in the litter box, so that part may not change.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to come into this thread and say that she's such a pretty cat, and thank you for taking care of her! :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s so pretty!

I had issues similar to this with kittens. They’d jump in, then jump out and not use the box.

What worked for me was:
  • placing puppy pads outside of the box where they were going (easy clean up too)
  • and then transitioning the puppy pads to an empty litter box covering the spot where the problem kitten was using the restroom.
  • After a few days and uses, I put a light layer of litter over the puppy pad in the box.
  • Next step -removed puppy pad completely, kept the box in that location, and she continued using it and didn’t have any more accidents.
Good luck!
I unfortunately tried that method and it worked more as a deterrent than as a training technique. She is scared of the puppy pads and won’t step on them. Which is funny because her favorite thing to lay on is grocery bags! 🙈

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to come into this thread and say that she's such a pretty cat, and thank you for taking care of her! :heartshape:
Awe thank you! I really do love her and she is so pretty and soft. And she is a living reminder of my grandmother. We both miss her.

KavKit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. MooMoo is a very pretty kitty! I agree with the above suggested approach. I would also have x-rays - if not already done - to see if she has arthritis. Aches and pains from arthritis can come and go, explaining why she might use the litter box some of the time and not at other times. If she does have arthritis, there are a number of supplements you can try, as well as pain meds if your vet thinks that would be appropriate.

This cat has been through a lot, so some of the issue is likely tied to a new home, a new owner, the loss of her long time owner, and another cat to deal with. It wouldn't surprise me that it will take her a very long time to adapt which hopefully entails proper litter box use as well. The older the cat and the more changes that are involved, the harder and longer the transition time.

Aside from the behaviorist, you don't actually say what introductions you have tried - if any - or how MooMoo is responding to your cat - or, even how your cat is responding to another cat in his home. So, not knowing any of that, you might want to take a look at these TCS articles for some assistance in making a plan. It seems like you are trying to resolve the litter box aspect first, which is probably a good idea.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles

P.S. I have a 16+ yo cat who has never bothered to cover up her 'stuff' in the litter box, so that part may not change.
Thank you for the links, I will take a look. My other cat is a young neutered 2yr old male. Very social and happy go luck. He actually goes on walks, hikes, camping, and vacations with us. He gets regular visits with my siblings dogs and cats. Really he just wants to be her friend. She on the other hand wants nothing to do with him. We did the proper intros: smell, hear, see, greet over a few months. And she just never took to him. The second she sees him she goes after him and attacks him instantly. I believe since she was always in a single pet household that is probably her preference. But I refuse to give either of them up. So we make it work with room separations, supervised leashed time, and prisoner exchange.

We do suspect arthritis but the vet won’t subscribe pain medication yet. She has a slight limp but otherwise no other indication. She still runs and plays with me.

I do worry that she may have something worse happening but the vet has said multiple times that she is fine. They probably think I am annoying and paranoid at this point. She vomits several times a month. But eats and drinks just fine. And she has black guck always in her nose and eyes. And a very subtle head tremor. But no one seems to notice or be concerned but me. My family and vet have all said I am being too crazy. Probably because I had a traumatic experience with my pup who passed away after a year long battle with polyneuropathy and MRSA, so I see everything as a health scare. Either way, to answer your question…I keep the cats separated because I believe they prefer it that way and I don’t think she minds being relegated to our bedroom. she does after all get night time snuggles all night 😁

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We do suspect arthritis but the vet won’t subscribe pain medication yet. She has a slight limp but otherwise no other indication. She still runs and plays with me.
You can get OTC arthritis supplements - there are all kinds out there. I use Glyco Flex Plus for Feeby (glucosamine, chondroitin, & green lipped mussels). One big chew a day (which can easily be cut up into pieces, and even ground up and added to a lickable treat - as I do Feeby) might be something to try. Feeby has been eating these for almost 3 years now, and it has pretty much stopped her limp - other than when she has been immobile for a long nap, and once up and about it is gone again.
She vomits several times a month. But eats and drinks just fine. And she has black guck always in her nose and eyes. And a very subtle head tremor. But no one seems to notice or be concerned but me. My family and vet have all said I am being too crazy.
You are being observant from your past experiences, not paranoid, IMO! At her age, that is all worth pursuing. If the vomit is related to hairballs, that is one thing, and can be treated with daily brushings and with a dab of butter/margarine a few times a week - from your finger or from placing it on her paw to lick off. A couple of drops of olive oil in her food is another thing to try.

You might just consider a second opinion from a vet in an entirely different practice (to avoid colleague bias) just to see what they think. Any tests/results that have been run to date, are yours (for free) for the asking from your vet and can be shared with a new vet to help reduce costs associated with redundant testing.