Long hair cat shedding like crazy!!!

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a ragdoll and he's shedding like crazy, just little floofs of fur EVERYWHERE. I'll pet him and little hairs will come off into the air, I snuggle him and my face picks up hair that I have to spit out of my mouth for the next 5 minutes. I have the zoom groom and a slicker brush and a comb, and I use all 3 and I'll brush and brush and the hair doesn't stop!!! He's so fluffy I don't know how he affords to shed so much hair and stay that way. Is there anything else I can do? Has anyone tried to just hold a handheld vacuum against their cat and suck up the fur? I so want to try it but he's scared of the vacuum :( Bathing him doesn't help that much either, plus he hates it. 

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@WafflesNomNom

Is it cat shedding season now? Cats shed fur for many reasons.
Some due to diet, some due to stress, some due to certain underlying medical reasons.
Are there any bald spots or smell?
I read that indoor cats shed more due to the artificial lighting, air conditioning and heating leads to continual shedding and not seasonal shedding.
If it persists, maybe good to have the vet check on him to make sure he's normal?

hellocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with @Tabby Tom. You need to figure it out why your cat sheds, maybe it's natural just like human beings. Of course the best way is to see a vet. Good luck.

babyhuffman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby is a longhaired cat too and she also sheds a lot. I believe its normal, at least for her. Her coat is nice and shiny, and she is not sick or acting sick. My other longhaired cat did the same thing. I would have to say that unless your cat is ill or behaving differently in any other way that this is normal for longhaired thick-coated cats. Just watch for any signs of illness such as coat dullness or not eating or drinking. I hope this helps.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have tumbleweeds of fur - I have a houseful of Persians. If your cat appears healthy, it is probably just seasonal loss of coat. If you blow dry your cat when you bath, sometime you can blow the loose hair out by blowing the dry coat BEFORE a bath. It has to be a forced air dryer though, I don't think a human dryer would be powerful enough to do it. Be warned though - you will be covered in hair!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg, yes TUMBLEWEED is the perfect description. They're not quite clumps or dust bunnies. Waffles is terrified of the hair dryer, so I don't think I can do that, although I have wanted to!!! He's healthy, eats and drinks fine, and his fur coat is good, he just has a lot of excess hair.... He eats so much but doesn't get fat, I swear all the calories are going to making fur that he'll shed =.= Giving him a bath doesn't get out the loose hairs at all. Is there anything else I can do? 

babyhuffman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can sympathize with you. Baby sheds like crazy too. I'm thinking that at this rate, I'll have a fur coat by winter, a fur carpet by next spring, and beautiful fur covers for my couch and bed lol. Seriously though I do sympathize. I have to use a lint brush every other day, but I learnt long ago that that's a small price to pay for years of a truly loving, long haired companion.