Long (delayed?) birthing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking your kitty to the vet in time - I know that with worldwide inflation an extra expense can be a hardship but you were willing to be proactive and meet the challenges head on. I agree with Sarthur2 Sarthur2 that having one of her babies remaining will help your cat heal. Please continue to keep us updated - your cat's case is more common that we'd like & your case may encourage others who are cruising this forum to follow your lead.
Another thing to add, if I had gone to a reliable and more official vet earlier that treated me as a patient’s guardian rather than a young teenager that was hysterical over their cat, more kittens would have probably survived. Please choose a vet that listens to all your concerns and explains every step of the treatment.
The vet that performed the CS said that oxytocin( which was what the previous vet injected) needs to be observed and another dose is needed if nothing happens after 3 hours. This was never communicated to me before, I wasn’t even told what substance was going in her body.
The vet before was my dads upperclassman so I wonder if her bedside manners were effected by that.
If you feel something is not right, please push to tell them even if they are the professionals, you are the one that’s been next to your cat the whole time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! I am so very sorry! I’m a bit surprised, as the vet can tube feed and otherwise keep a kitten going, unless she was premature or having other issues. I hope she did not just starve to death. That should not happen at the vet.

This is very sad, and I ache for you and mama kitty.

When does mom come home?

Edit: if the first dose of oxytocin does not work, a C-section is the next step. Otherwise, the longer things go on, the more the chance that kittens die due to being in utero too long. You did your best! It’s not your fault.

bunnyowner bunnyowner

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnyowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my! I am so very sorry! I’m a bit surprised, as the vet can tube feed and otherwise keep a kitten going, unless she was premature or having other issues. I hope she did not just starve to death. That should not happen at the vet.

This is very sad, and I ache for you and mama kitty.

When does mom come home?

Edit: if the first dose of oxytocin does not work, a C-section is the next step. Otherwise, the longer things go on, the more the chance that kittens die due to being in utero too long. You did your best! It’s not your fault.

bunnyowner bunnyowner
The mom’s home now! She’s quite lively and playful. Just having some trouble making sure she doesn’t split her stitches. She weasels her way out the cone easily.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh nooooo.....this is so tragic and I am very,very sorry for what you and your kitty have gone through. I am saddened that the last little kitten warrior has returned to the Creator; sometimes, mother cats reject their babies because, whether from sixth sense or their superior sense of smell (Dogs Vs. Cats: A Comparison of the 5 Senses), they detect that the newborn has something wrong and reject the baby. While such a rejection is bitterly cruel at the time, it is perhaps easier than surviving only to suffer debilitating conditions throughout life.
Your mama kitty is blessed to have you as her guardian. She must feel so much better than she did just a few days ago. There are many suggestions about keeping her from loosening her stitches, with wearing baby "onesies" is a popular one. FYI, the stitches are in layers. To be proactive, you can ask the better vet team for a way to send pictures to their office, just in case that you have concerns prior to any follow-up visits.
And how are YOU doing? I am sorry that you may have been "gaslighted" by the first vet - it's a common issue with the practice of medicine because practictioners are human, after all & their skills vary. I am impressed with your good instincts and I feel that when circumstances permit, you will be a VALUABLE asset to your local cat rescue, perhaps foster kittens! TNR is another consideration because cat-trapping & follow-up is both challenging and rewarding (my best advice is to adopt a common lawyers' saying "it isn't enough to have a will to win, it takes the will to prepare enough to win " or, as our elders sometimes say, "it's a long hike for a short slide (of sledding)". One of my best tips is to use a thick sheet or blanket to completely cover the trap, rather than a towel but that's a discussion for another day....

MiatheKitty

Queen Mia
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortunately the kitten passed away this morning because the mom started rejecting her. I thought in this case that they would start bottle feeding but they let her die I think. I’m not sure how to feel
damn that's rough. :/ I don't understand why they would allow the kitten to just die. Me and my cats are sending over love your way