Loft overlooking the living room

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I recently moved into a condo that has a loft overlooking the living room. My 14 and 4 year old cats like to walk, sit, or even lay on it occasionally...they have seemed careful so far (these past 4 months). However I would like to add a kitten and am worried the kitten would fall off. Is this a concern you would have? Does anyone have (or can share) any pictures of potential solutions to kitten proof this balcony and, if you have installed something, what was the approximate cost?
20211122_065004.jpg

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:lol:i would probablyadd a latice wall from that edge to the ceiling so its like an enclosed tunnel i would be to scared of them playing up on that ledge and having one or both fall off especially if i added a kitten to the mix would look ugly for sure but my peace of mind would be knowing its not possible for my cats to fall off

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I have seen stuff about netting and wood railings and stuff but couldn't imagine what that would look like inside, and how to affix it. The sneeze guard idea is great...this wall is pretty long but I am going to do some measuring to see if it is possible. Maybe I will go look at home depot to see if I can find any other inspiration or ask a handyman to come over and give some ideas

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! I recently moved into a condo that has a loft overlooking the living room. My 14 and 4 year old cats like to walk, sit, or even lay on it occasionally...they have seemed careful so far (these past 4 months). However I would like to add a kitten and am worried the kitten would fall off. Is this a concern you would have? Does anyone have (or can share) any pictures of potential solutions to kitten proof this balcony and, if you have installed something, what was the approximate cost?View attachment 403836
Hello N novemberflowers and family! Well, I'm not sure how high off the ground they are here, of course, but in our former home was had a soffit with recessed lighting, and our beloved angel Tarifa loved to climb up there and prowl around, observing the rest of us. She did it by jumping on the stereo and from there, to a tall curio cabinet, from which she launched herself onto the soffit. No harm was ever done and she was a very confident climber, but no one else ever joined her up there.
scan0010.jpg
scan0010.jpg
scan0009.jpg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How high is the ledge?

An average, healthy cat should be able to fall from a human's head height with only low to moderate risk of injury.
Not to say that a cat "can't" get hurt. Only saying that the risk is lower.

If the ledge is higher than you can reach with your outstretched arms, it's probably too high for a cat to prowl there safely.

Even if you decide that the fall risk is manageable, I suggest looking around the area to remove any items that might be breakable or injure your cats if they fall on them. If you can, rearrange furniture and things so that, if there is a fall, they might have something safer to land on.

If you could put a sofa or an easy chair under the spot(s) where falling cats are likely to land, that would be cool. :)

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How high is the ledge?

An average, healthy cat should be able to fall from a human's head height with only low to moderate risk of injury.
Not to say that a cat "can't" get hurt. Only saying that the risk is lower.

If the ledge is higher than you can reach with your outstretched arms, it's probably too high for a cat to prowl there safely.

Even if you decide that the fall risk is manageable, I suggest looking around the area to remove any items that might be breakable or injure your cats if they fall on them. If you can, rearrange furniture and things so that, if there is a fall, they might have something safer to land on.

If you could put a sofa or an easy chair under the spot(s) where falling cats are likely to land, that would be cool. :)
Thanks! This is like 1.5 stories. I am going to work on finding some type of solution to safety proof

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello N novemberflowers and family! Well, I'm not sure how high off the ground they are here, of course, but in our former home was had a soffit with recessed lighting, and our beloved angel Tarifa loved to climb up there and prowl around, observing the rest of us. She did it by jumping on the stereo and from there, to a tall curio cabinet, from which she launched herself onto the soffit. No harm was ever done and she was a very confident climber, but no one else ever joined her up there.View attachment 404015View attachment 404015View attachment 404016
Wow what an adventurer! 😄

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you provide a zoomed out picture from the room below looking up at the loft part? Maybe install cat shelves / ledges going from the top of the balcony down to the lower level? Or one wide shelf spanning the width of the balcony maybe a feet feet down from the top to possibly provide a landing spot if a cat somehow falls off?

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you provide a zoomed out picture from the room below looking up at the loft part? Maybe install cat shelves / ledges going from the top of the balcony down to the lower level? Or one wide shelf spanning the width of the balcony maybe a feet feet down from the top to possibly provide a landing spot if a cat somehow falls off?
Thanks for the thoughts. This is what it looks like

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally what I would do is put cat shelves / ledges / ramps leading down from the balcony to where the Christmas tree is now. Put a tall cat tree there so the cats can use it to go from the last shelf down to the floor.

If you really don't want the cats to get up on the balcony railing to begin with, you're going to have to completely block it off. The sneeze guard idea someone used will work but might be expensive. Plexiglass or some sort of acrylic panel from the hardware store shouldn't cost too much and it wouldn't need to be too high, maybe a foot or so high? Or maybe some decorative railing / lattice spanning the width of the balcony? Posts to hold the railing in place at either end and maybe in the middle as well.

That would work in a sort of enclosed stairwell but not for the OP's open room below the balcony railing. Unless the OP wants to stretch netting over a portion of the entire room below which I doubt. Neither the article and video explain how a live cat is supposed to get off the netting.