Littr Box Questions

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this doesn't go here, I wasn't sure where to put it. So the litter box, the bad part of having a cat. Well, I was wondering a few things about you all and your litter boxes.

1.) What type of litter do you use? I am thinking about using Fresh Step with odor eliminating carbon.

2.) Which box do you use? I am thinking about the breeze litter box and just using regular litter or the Booda Clean Step Litter Box.

3.) Where do you keep your box? I was going to put in the bath room across from the toilet since that is where she will be for the first week or two.

4.) How often do you scoop? I was going to just do it anytime I see there is junk in there.

Thank you,
ifoster

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Chicken feed crumbles. I honestly don't believe any clay litter is actually safe for any cat, whether they cough from it like one of mine does or not.

2) Large plastic storage bins. I have extras so I can switch they out every ~2 weeks with a clean bin. Then every bin is eventually tossed out after it's around a year and a half to two years old because they're plastic.

3) Every room, but the kitchen, that the cats are allowed in to.

4) Daily unless something happens to me.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1.) What type of litter do you use? Swheat Scoop, didn't want a clay litter or strong perfume.

2.) Which box do you use? Mines just your basic covered littler box

3.) Where do you keep your box? 1bedroom apt = 1 box in the laundry room where door stays open

4.) How often do you scoop? Scoop once a day

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no bad part to having a cat.

Stay away from any scented litter- this is made for our noses not our cats. Many of the heavily scented litters annoy the cats and it can cause litter pan avoidance.

I use stall dry because I have so many cats. But I always just use plain clay litter- or plain clumping litter nothing else.

Covered litter pans again are made for us, not for our cats. Large flat plastic bins are best. Gives the cat much more room to choose and you can get them cheaply at wal mart or target

You want two pans if you have one cat plus one extra pan is ideal. On every level of your home, not just in one place that is convenient for you. Look for areas with low traffic secluded but with an easy escape route just in case.

If she is being secluded, she needs two boxes in the room where she is. ONce she is let out of her room you need to move the boxes gradually to whatever location- but if you move them all at once you could have accidents.

Scoop whenever you see waste in the box. It starts to stink after it is released into the room and the air and bacteria start to work on it. Keep a covered bucket nearby and scoop into the bucket. Sprinkle some baking soda over the waste then dump the bag at the end of the day.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

There is no bad part to having a cat.

Stay away from any scented litter- this is made for our noses not our cats. Many of the heavily scented litters annoy the cats and it can cause litter pan avoidance.

I use stall dry because I have so many cats. But I always just use plain clay litter- or plain clumping litter nothing else.

Covered litter pans again are made for us, not for our cats. Large flat plastic bins are best. Gives the cat much more room to choose and you can get them cheaply at wal mart or target

You want two pans if you have one cat plus one extra pan is ideal. On every level of your home, not just in one place that is convenient for you. Look for areas with low traffic secluded but with an easy escape route just in case.

If she is being secluded, she needs two boxes in the room where she is. ONce she is let out of her room you need to move the boxes gradually to whatever location- but if you move them all at once you could have accidents.

Scoop whenever you see waste in the box. It starts to stink after it is released into the room and the air and bacteria start to work on it. Keep a covered bucket nearby and scoop into the bucket. Sprinkle some baking soda over the waste then dump the bag at the end of the day.

what she said

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ifoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it true that clay litter gives cats kidney disease?? I didn't realize that fresh step was clay untill I just looked it up. It seems to control odors best(based on reveiws) but I don't want to put her in danger....

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1.) What type of litter do you use?
-We have switched to Swheat Scoop multi cat for the upstairs box. I am still transitioning the 3 boxes we have in the basement, so they are a mix of scooping clay litter and either wood stove pellets (Feline Pine) or Feline Pine scoop.

2.) Which box do you use?
-We have a Breeze, but my oldest (13 yrs old) has a habit of standing up mid-pee so I had to put it away. The rest of the boxes are high sided Sterilite containers with an entry cut in the front.

3.) Where do you keep your box?
-1 is in my office/spare room. The other 3 are in the basement.

4.) How often do you scoop?
-The upstairs box I get pretty much every time I see something in it. The basement boxes I scoop 1-2x a day, but I try to get them 2x usually.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ifoster

Is it true that clay litter gives cats kidney disease?? I didn't realize that fresh step was clay untill I just looked it up. It seems to control odors best(based on reveiws) but I don't want to put her in danger....
No that is not true. Kidney disease is a common ailment of older cats, and can be brought on by a few different things, but not all cats get kidney disease, and if clay litter caused kidney disease just about every cat in the world would have it. (at least up until other alternatives became available)

. I've been using clay litter all my life and out of 10 cats (so far) only one has had CRF (Chronic renal failure)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't use a Breeze system with regular litter. It has a mesh bottom that the litter would fall through. You can only use the Breeze system (non-absorbant clay pellets in the top and absorbant pads in the bottom) with it.

1. There is no such thing as one kind of "best" litter. You might find out that you and the cat both like Fresh Step very much. OR one or both of you will dislike it for some reason or another. It usually takes some experimentation to find the brand that's right for both of you. I use Special Kitty orange magic clumping clay litter (after trying nearly every brand out there!). Keep in mind that clumping litters are not recommended for kittens under 4 months old.

2. I use Sterilite 18 gallon storage tubs with a hole cut in the side. Much cheaper than "real" litter pans and a better size. Again, anything you and the cat can agree on will be fine.

3. You can keep your litterbox anywhere you want, LOL (although I'd never have one in the kitchen). Bedroom closets (door open of course) make nice litterbox locations. If the kitty is in the bathroom, that's fine. Although the humidity from the shower can mess up the litter, so I don't like to keep litterboxes in bathrooms most of the time.

4. Scoop at least once daily. As often as you like.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Although the humidity from the shower can mess up the litter, so I don't like to keep litterboxes in bathrooms most of the time.
That's a good point. I only have one in there if I need to separate/quarantine a cat. I have small bathrooms (smaller 60s ranch style house), and the master bath has a tile floor. I really hate litter on the bathroom floor.
The rest of the time the cats aren't allowed in there because Sherman shreds toilet paper and the kitten try to lick/eat soap...

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Fresh Step not only clumps perfectly but controls odors several times better than anything else I've ever tried. It is one of my favorite litters (and the cats'!)

With an already weakened cat, though, it may be best to go with natural just to be safe. It is plausible I suppose to have problems with kittens just learning to use the box accidentally breathing in a high amount or licking it from themselves during grooming resulting in damaging internal clumps. Although I don't know of anyone with first-hand experience with cats who had developed mysterious health problems from ingesting a clay-based product.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. I used unscented, clumping clay litter (precious cat brand)

2. Regular extra large open cat litter boxes. Litter boxes should be 1.5 times the length of the cat (minus the tail). If kitty is 12 inches from tip of nose to base of tail litter box should be 18 inches long.

3. Located in laundry room

4. daily

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
1. I've tried many types of litter, starting with Fresh Step since it was recommended by a friend who owns a kennel. That was the worst mistake I made. I thought I was going to choke to death on the dust and perfume before I could get to the store to replace it. I understand Fresh Step now has an unscented formula, but I'm not about to spend more money to find out. I've never been able to get any of my cats to use the "natural" litters, e.g. World's Best, pine pellets, Yesterday's News, etc. After a lot of trial and error I've ended up using Walmart's Special Kitty in the green box. It clumps well, has minimal dust, and no perfume that I can smell (it says fresh scent on the box). It's a coarse sand texture that the kitties seem to like better than anything else I've tried.

2. I use tall sterilite storage boxes. I can keep the litter deep enough that the pee clumps before it reaches the bottom of the box and sticks to the plastic. I did have covered boxes for a while but found that the cats frequently hopped out as soon as they were finished without covering. When I got a third cat I pulled out the open litter pan I'd had for my first kitten, thinking I would use it just until I could get another covered box. It only took one day to realize that all three adult cats were squeezing themselves into the small open pan and totally ignoring the covered boxes.

3. I have six cats and four litter boxes. Two are behind the couch in the living room. They're out of sight, but the couch is about six feet away from the end of the room, so they're easy to get to for scooping. One is in the bathroom and one in my bedroom.

4. I scoop 1-2 times a day, never less. If I'm going to be gone for a couple of days and don't have somebody coming in at least every 24 hours, I put out an extra large pan or two for them.

Just a note: the pink/magenta type may be pretty, but it's very hard to read on my monitor.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1.) What type of litter do you use? I am thinking about using Fresh Step with odor eliminating carbon.

We use Tidy Scoop. The cats like it and the house doesn't stink.

2.) Which box do you use? I am thinking about the breeze litter box and just using regular litter or the Booda Clean Step Litter Box.

I buy cheap cat boxes from Target or Walmart. For a long time we had two cats and two boxes but they both prefer the same one so one was filled with litter but unused. We just added a new kitty who is still in quarantine. I'm hoping she chooses the box she is using now (the former spare).

3.) Where do you keep your box?

The one they like is in the basement. The other is in my office.

4.) How often do you scoop? I was going to just do it anytime I see there is junk in there.

Once a day, in the evening.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scoop Away-42 lb bags in bulk from bjs helps. Kittens would get tidy cats regular clay

Rubbermaid or sterlite totes-current ones are 66 quart and cool as cats jump over sides no issue. Used to use rubbermaid 18 gallon totes cut down

All over..Seriously I have quite a few cats theres4 in the main cat room, one in sunroom, one hidden in living room, 2 in upstairs cat room 1 in bath and 1 for cat in our room

Daily. If I go any long its a lost cause and takes so much longer.
BTW...I have 24 cats and one came to me already pregnant so I guess I might be doing things a bit differently then many here...it works tho

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1.) What type of litter do you use? Fresh Step Scoopable. Have been using this since I got Tessie and love it, never has a smell. one down fall is that it can be dusty.

2.) Which box do you use? http://www.petco.com/product/14467/C...terLitterBoxes - Best box I have ever bought. I love the top because it is gridded and hold all the excess litter that comes from her paws. No mess on the floor

3.) Where do you keep your box? I unfortunately have to keep it in my bedroom but no one ever knows it's there.

4.) How often do you scoop? Once a day normally but sometimes I forget

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ifoster;2872892 said:
Sorry if this doesn't go here, I wasn't sure where to put it. So the litter box, the bad part of having a cat. Well, I was wondering a few things about you all and your litter boxes.

3.) Where do you keep your box? I was going to put in the bath room across from the toilet since that is where she will be for the first week or two.

Thank you,
ifoster
[/QUOTI

I use Feline Pine. I had used clumping clay in the past but always found it sticking to his toes. Feline Pine works well for my Chester and I clean it when I see he has made a deposit.

As for where I keep it is where Chester wants it. In the upstairs Bathroom. He likes his privacy.

He has a Jumbo litter box, he is a big boy.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I use a combo of World's Best Cat Litter and Nature's Miracle. My Lucy Belle is on an all exclusive wet diet so she tends to really pee loads! She's the only cat but I use the Extra Strength Formula for Multi Cats and the clumping is amazing so scooping is a breeze. Because it is extra strength, the corn smell can be overwhelming. To compensate, I mix in Nature's Miracle which really helps a lot.

I have a big girl, she's almost 12lbs so I use the Petmate Jumbo Hooded Litter box. It works very well with her. Roomy enough for her to move about and I love that the sides are tall so that this little *digger* doesn't make a mess outside her box.

The box is located right at the front door actually. Not much traffic there since I live in a studio apartment. No problem at all.

As many times a day as I can, usually twice or three times a day.

P/S : If anyone here is looking to buy WBCL online, I got a great deal on the 34lbs bag. Free shipping and tax free with a low price of only $29.99 (Multiple Cats) and $27.99 (Regular)! PM me if you want the coupon code. Just want to pass along this amazing savings!

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What type of litter do you use?
After using many kinds we used a clay litter/wheat litter (can't stand that stuff!!) we settled on arm and hammer as it clumped the best, but I was sick of the tracking. I saw my friend had a littler system called "breeze" where they poop on pellets and the pee goes thru a grid on to a pad. I LOVE this thing. Even scooping the clay one daily I'd still get a bit of an odd smell, but this breeze one don't stink what so ever. I put it next to the clay litter box one day and they started using the breeze no probs and abandoned the clay one!! It's SO clean!

2.) Which box do you use? We tried many, the enclosed one, the automatic ones (Total waste of money!!!) The Breeze litter box system now. I was worried about this at first as Winston is a 'standing up pee-er' but it has high sides and he has yet to pee up the wall!

3.) Where do you keep your box? In our down stairs bathroom.

4.) How often do you scoop? When they poop on the pellets, as soon as I see it, I flush it down the loo. The pad (which is kinda like a giant maxi pad) I change weekly and I have 2 cats that use it.
(new cat is in quarantine at the moment with a clay box)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

1.) What type of litter do you use? Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Clumping litter, and when the store runs out of it (has happened occasionally), Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract.

2.) Which box do you use? I am thinking about the breeze litter box and just using regular litter or the Booda Clean Step Litter Box. Rubbermaid or Sterilite storage containers. I buy them at Big lots for super cheap... I actually just found some SUPER COOL ones (Rubbermaid) made of Microban to store food during hunting trips - same size as regular storage containers, but decorated with branches/ trees, and with antibacterial and anti-microbial properties (Microban), so it helps a LOT with the smell... Only $5 each at big lots, so you can't beat it! I have 3 for three 3 cats.

3.) Where do you keep your box? 2 in the corridor, one in the bathroom.

4.) How often do you scoop? Daily unless someone has diarrhea, for example, then more often.

Thank you,
ifoster