Little Leon

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello friends!
Several months ago, I started seeing a small cat when I exited the house. He would dart away. One night he laid outside my window and cried, a hungry cry, and I just couldn’t refuse to feed him. So I did and over two months slowly gained his trust. He had gotten to the point where he would come in our house and rest a awhile and would let me handle him. His name is Leon (yes we named him and he would come when I called) and he is very very VERY dear. He went outside,as was his habit, then, just as I thought he was trusting me enough to go to the vet for shots etc...he disappeared for 4 days. I just knew something was very wrong...I was desperate...calling him, searching, going mad with worry. On the fourth night he showed up. His rear leg was broken. Vet believes someone (I can’t even, my heart fills with rage and hate) may have kicked him or thrown a rock at him.(not a car, as no other injuries, and sadly my vet has seen this injury before). So, we had surgery for him, a pin and wire, and it was a success. Sweet Leon is home now and very chill in his covered pack and play, with litter box. He must must must rest 6-8 weeks and although he is handling this very well, it is only day 2. I fear he will go crazy with boredom. Until stitches are out in 2 weeks he has a collar. Any advice on giving him stimulation while not having him move about too much? I do gently pick him up and hold him and also love him as much as I can....but 6-8 weeks is soooooo long. I want him to be as happy as the poor little fella can be. Toys? Videos? I do play New Age music for him...he seems to like it. Oh...so I do have 2 other cats and a small dog, vet recommends he be isolated from them, and I agree...we were just starting to get to know each other...my other two cats are a tad jealous..they had not bonded with him yet. This means Leon must be in a closed room alone. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Thank you for being there for this little guy! :heartshape:

Ummm, videos and music, I think. Hopefully he's the kind of cat that can hang in there with this :cloud9:
Hopefully someone else who has had to deal with this will weigh in for you :)

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aaawwwww!! Poor, but LUCKY Little Leon, to have YOU!!! I am so sorry though, that someone without any conscience would injure him like this. It infuriates me! Maybe since he is injured, he will actually not mind being apart from others for quite awhile??? It seems cats and dogs (and probably a lot of other species) don't like to look like the "weakest link", so they don't want other animals to see them injured. So, it might possibly work on this premise. Your spending time with him, will be so important to him, and I know you can sense this already. Wishing you all the best and bless you for your kindnesses!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he crying, or scratching at the door to get out? Caterwauling at night? If not, he is fine. If so, it will take a little time for him to settle.

Did he also get neutered when he had the surgery for his leg? Hopefully he is neutered, which will greatly diminish his desire to get out and roam.

None of my cats have ever cared for TV, videos, or music. Is your kitty able to get to a window? Cats love to sit in the window. Perhaps you could get him a cat tree from eBay or Amazon? I think he is probably so relieved to be in a safe place with warmth and food provided that he isn't concerned about being bored.

When he was taken to the vet, did the vet test him for FIV and FelV? It's a simple blood test called the SNAP test. If he has been given a clean bill of health, you can probably begin slow introductions in a few weeks. You can carry one of your cats inside his room for a few minutes a day so they can get used to each other. That alone will provide stimulation for him. Outdoor cars are able to socialize well with other cats because they have socialized with cats outside.

Whenever I have taken in a new cat, I've always spent a lot more time doing interactive play with my resident cats, with a wand toy and Laser toy. Then I have Incorporated the new kitty into group play. My cats have learned that one of the perks of a new cat in the house is extra attention and interactive play time with me, new toys, and extra treats.

I don't think you need to be worried about him being bored. Cats usually sleep 16 hours a day and spend the rest of their time lounging or playing. When he fully recovers, he will have many years to not be bored in your home.

I hope he doesn't need to wear a head cone. Cats really hate that. Poor kitty!

It's wonderful that you have rescued this cat. He will adjust to indoor life just fine. The last cat I took inside my home was a five-month-old feral kitten who was very wild. It took her about 4 months to fully adjust to me and my four other cats, but she never expressed the desire to return to her former life outside. She is a very happy cat and enjoys her life of luxury inside on my sofa and bed and in her cat tree, and she enjoys playing with my other cats. Your kitty will have a wonderful life :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Thank you for being there for this little guy! :heartshape:

Ummm, videos and music, I think. Hopefully he's the kind of cat that can hang in there with this :cloud9:
Hopefully someone else who has had to deal with this will weigh in for you :)[/ thank you! Leon is coping well, considering he has gone from living alone outside to pack and play, litter box all in a couple of months. ❤He’s so dear!

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the wonderful advice. Leon did get tested and shots (had he been positive for feline hiv etc it would have greatly affected his prognosis for healing so great news there)and was surprisingly very healthy..however as surgery was so long, vet suggested we wait to fix. I agreed.
He is not acting unhappy...when I enter room he simply “meeps” at me! So sweet.
He was socializing rather well before all this..my other two cats have been together their whole lives and not very accepting. But we had made progress with one. I will just have to wait now. My other cats are most curious about what is happening in Leon’s room! So is my little dog. But his isolation is for the best.
The vet ladies all remarked how “chill” a cat he is and I agree. Having had cats my entire life, I have only ever had one who was as calm. Its been very emotional and yet I remain optimistic for Leon. I suspect he was a drop off not a feral.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He really does sound like a most wonderful cat, bless your heart I'm SO glad you found each other :heartshape:
Thank you....he is such a gift. I am very grateful for Leon and all my friends who have loved me.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he crying, or scratching at the door to get out? Caterwauling at night? If not, he is fine. If so, it will take a little time for him to settle.

Did he also get neutered when he had the surgery for his leg? Hopefully he is neutered, which will greatly diminish his desire to get out and roam.

None of my cats have ever cared for TV, videos, or music. Is your kitty able to get to a window? Cats love to sit in the window. Perhaps you could get him a cat tree from eBay or Amazon? I think he is probably so relieved to be in a safe place with warmth and food provided that he isn't concerned about being bored.

When he was taken to the vet, did the vet test him for FIV and FelV? It's a simple blood test called the SNAP test. If he has been given a clean bill of health, you can probably begin slow introductions in a few weeks. You can carry one of your cats inside his room for a few minutes a day so they can get used to each other. That alone will provide stimulation for him. Outdoor cars are able to socialize well with other cats because they have socialized with cats outside.

Whenever I have taken in a new cat, I've always spent a lot more time doing interactive play with my resident cats, with a wand toy and Laser toy. Then I have Incorporated the new kitty into group play. My cats have learned that one of the perks of a new cat in the house is extra attention and interactive play time with me, new toys, and extra treats.

I don't think you need to be worried about him being bored. Cats usually sleep 16 hours a day and spend the rest of their time lounging or playing. When he fully recovers, he will have many years to not be bored in your home.

I hope he doesn't need to wear a head cone. Cats really hate that. Poor kitty!

It's wonderful that you have rescued this cat. He will adjust to indoor life just fine. The last cat I took inside my home was a five-month-old feral kitten who was very wild. It took her about 4 months to fully adjust to me and my four other cats, but she never expressed the desire to return to her former life outside. She is a very happy cat and enjoys her life of luxury inside on my sofa and bed and in her cat tree, and she enjoys playing with my other cats. Your kitty will have a wonderful life :)
Your advice is very reassuring thank you. I think it’s me who’s the anxious one! He seems very content.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s the wonderfully weird way life turns out: late June after 16 1/2 years my beloved little terrier died. I was with her til her last breathe, as I had promised her. Thanks to my wonderful vet, she knew no pain or fear, she was in my arms the whole time. Needless to say, I am/was crushed, although I know it was the right time. Bela was mainly 2 colors but had this one random spot of dark on her white. So...I started seeing Leon @2 weeks after Bela passed. And what do you know? Leon, mostly 2 toned, has also a random spot of dark on his white! Now maybe I just want to believe or maybe just maybe my beloved sent me Leon because Leon needed love and so did I. Leon,to me,is Bela’s last gift to me.