Litterbox question

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I recently got my kitties another litterbox (there are 2 kitties, this makes 3 boxes).  I didn't get another because there was any issue with them using the boxes but only because it looked to me like they might like a bigger box than their smallest box, which they were using less frequently than they used to.  

I didn't really have another place in my apartment to place a third box for the resident cats (I live in a rather spacious 1 bedroom so it ordinarily wouldn't be an issue, but one room is given over to litters of fosters so that is out and the bathroom is smaller than some closets and has no room for a box- I have tried but it ended badly both times) so I put it in close proximity to the box I thought was a bit small.

Now, it has been nearly a week, and between the two of them, they have used the 'too small' box one time, the same day that I got the larger box.  They completely and totally ignore it now.  They continue to regularly use the new box and the older box that wasn't the smallest one.

My question is, basically, is there any reason to keep the smallest box out?  Ordinarily my instinct would be to let it sit there, because what harm can it do, but they literally are not using it and there are other uses it could be put to, either with my fosters or by someone else who works with the shelter I work with (or even possibly by the shelter itself).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If they're not using the smallest box, then I see no reason to leave it out, especially since it's right next to the new one. If you have other uses for it, go for it. It sounds like they are perfectly happy with the 2 bigger boxes.