Litter that is fast at absorbing and good at clumping?

Sonnys_sonnet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently had the issue of my cat coming out of the litterbox with pee on his bum. I tried to fix this by shaving his bum and adding a corn litter to his current clay litter. I've seen a big improvment in absorbtion since adding the corn litter, and have had less instances of my cat's bum getting wet.
Prior to adding the corn litter when my cat would pee, the clay litter wouldn't absorb fast enough and would puddle and spread out. The spreading out would cause big clumps to form. Since adding the corn litter, the puddles are WAY smaller and the clumps are smaller. I think shaving his bum has also helped a bit too (I never realized how much his fur covered his bum until shaving.. maybe it grew longer and I never noticed?)
I would stick to the corn litter on it's own but it is terrible at covering poo smell, and any litter that gets stuck to him "smears" since it gets soggy. It's also SUPER dusty and creates dust clouds just by scooping it.
Litters i've tried in the past are: Arm and hammer clump and seal, Arm and Hammer Cloud control, Fresh Step Fabreeze, and his current clay litter Ever Clean Ultra strength. The corn litter i'm using is Sustainably yours Long Grain.
I'd like to mix the corn litter with a clay litter that's also good at absorbing and clumping. Recommendations please!
(I'm open to crystal litter recommendations but am a litter deterred by the price. I have to use a XL litter box that uses about 12-14lb of litter a month. So crystal litter would be pricey!)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I'm using Petco's discount bin clay litter (SoPhresh) and a grass seed litter (whatever I happen to find although I liked Petco's SoPhresh grass seed litter quite a lot) - this combination seems to work at both clumping and keeping the dust down :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Crystal litter is the worst. It contains silica (known to cause lung damage). And does absolutly nothing to control pee smell. If your cat will even use it. Neither of my current cats will use it and prefer the floor. My old cat used it but it reaked like conentrated tom cat pee (she was a girl and spayed).

Crystal litter is just super nasty stuff.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use tofu litter (pea fibre). Absorbs well and has charcoal and bicarbonate of soda for odour control. The brand I use is only sold in Australia but I would think there are equivalent ones in the US. It's also genuinely flushable!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Even so, it just isn't worth the risk. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. I just wouldn't want to deal with an overflowing toilet and tearing up my floor.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying a new litter called 'Hardball' right now, it is working really well so far. I got tired of the pee spreading before it could get absorbed and tehm stepping in it. Also all those clumps breaking up and making scooping harder. I got it at Walmart. So far, so good!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arm & Hammer is the best for fast,solid clumping that I have found.(renal cat that drinks a lot and pees a lot) Less dust than others. I use Slide. and it covers the smell .
Runner up is Fresh Step, but even though it says 99% dust free..it is far from the truth..mega dust and does leave a wee :blush: bit of paste at times on wet bums.it hardens and has to be carefully clipped off with scissors.
I think the Slide is best for me, but it does weigh a lot when changing the litter and I can see why so many want to flush their litter(which I refuse to do in this 100 year old house.) Human 'flushable" wipes clogged the main drain once a while back. Listen to what the plumbers say about what not to flush. Eventually it builds up way down there $$$$$$

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - I'm using Petco's discount bin clay litter (SoPhresh) and a grass seed litter (whatever I happen to find although I liked Petco's SoPhresh grass seed litter quite a lot) - this combination seems to work at both clumping and keeping the dust down :)
That seed litter is expensive?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A 20 pound bag is approximately $27, and there are various discounts available such as buying online and picking up instore.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't use a lot since I'm adding it to another litter. so it lasts quite a while.