Litter suggestions?

Voidcat101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hoping this is the right category, but I have 6 cats, a few with health issues that cause more urine and açcidents outside of the box. I 5 very large litter boxes as I have no space for any more and I clean them once a day. They are very messy with it. I use fresh step clumping clay litter as it's the only clay one to help with the smell to me and it's reasonably affordable in bulk. I go through so much litter to top the boxes off. About 40 pounds a week. It is everywhere. They track it all over the house everything is getting covered in litter chunks and the dust and it's getting hard to keep up with. I am not sure if there really is a right answer but wanted to see if anyone had any affordable, safe and effective and hopefully wouldn't cause litter aversion although I know that depends on the cat. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Regarding cost, if you're near a Petco, they have refillable litter that you can scoop out of a bin. I found it a bit dusty sometimes, but it worked otherwise. I may start using it again as a matter of fact.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...ll-advanced-odor-control-scoopable-cat-litter

I started mixing my clay based litters with some walnut or corncob litter, which seems to help cut down on the dust.
I'm not associated with petco, but here are some other examples;
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/category/cat/cat-litter/dust-free-cat-litter

How To Choose The Right Cat Litter – TheCatSite Articles

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use arm and hammer slide and clump and seal (not absorbex) depending on what's available.

I try to get arm and hammer cloud control for Indy since the dust can trigger her asthma.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Get the extra large high-sided plastic storage bins. Put a regular size litter pan in the bottom of the bin and fill it with litter. The higher sides will contain a lot of the litter that the kitties fling around when they're digging.

I also put a large incontinence bed pad (human size, not the little puppy pads) in the doorway of the room where I have 7 of my litter boxes. It catches a fair amount of litter because the kitties will actually walk across it instead of jumping over it.

I still find some litter scattered around the house, but not nearly as much as I used to.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have 2 cats. I have two triangle shaped litter boxes with identical tops to bottoms. I use Tidy Cat clumping virtually no dust. To cut down on litter trails I have a indoor/outdoor door Matt in front of each litter box. I vaccum just once a week in the area of the litter boxes.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have 2 cats. I have two triangle shaped litter boxes with identical tops to bottoms. I use Tidy Cat clumping virtually no dust. To cut down on litter trails I have a indoor/outdoor door Matt in front of each litter box. I vaccum just once a week in the area of the litter boxes.
I did use tidy cats but when they changed the formula to lightweight (all the grocery store sold for tidy cat) I started to notice it was sludge and gross. I still have stains on my floor and washer from the litter. Then I got Indy and found out this litter was triggering her weekly asthma attacks.

I switched to arm and hammer and no more sludge and Indy only periodically has asthma attacks, usually triggered by stress or seasonal polen.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I stopped using clay based litter long ago and gone with Chicken Crumbles (non-medicated) from the feed store. Cheaper, hardly any dust, clumps well, smells nice and gentle on the cats paws. They aren't breathing in harmful dust created by clay either. I get 50lb bag for $20 and it lasts me a long time.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use pretty litter which makes a MESS and gets tracked everywhere. I bought top entry litter boxes and it has helped a bit. I also have several mats outside the boxes

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use pretty litter which makes a MESS and gets tracked everywhere. I bought top entry litter boxes and it has helped a bit. I also have several mats outside the boxes
Thanks for explaining the downside of "Pretty Litter". I had wondered about that litter.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for explaining the downside of "Pretty Litter". I had wondered about that litter.
I like it but I use it in the box furthest away from the main rooms in my house. I used it in a bedroom litter box one time and it was all in my bed. Yuck!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it but I use it in the box furthest away from the main rooms in my house. I used it in a bedroom litter box one time and it was all in my bed. Yuck!
For My two boys, I just have two litter boxes in the basement . Both boxes are triangle style with tops. I have a indoor/outdoor Matt in front of each. I try too scoop them daily. If I forget the older boy complains.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For My two boys, I just have two litter boxes in the basement . Both boxes are triangle style with tops. I have a indoor/outdoor Matt in front of each. I try too scoop them daily. If I forget the older boy complains.
I bet you’d be fine with pretty litter. I like it because of my male cats. I want to stay head of any urinary problems

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet you’d be fine with pretty litter. I like it because of my male cats. I want to stay head of any urinary problems
Do you have a "Pet Water Fountain " for your boys. I use one. It runs 24/7. It provides them fresh tasting water plus in the winter months Add humidity to my home. A win win solution.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Top entry boxes probably wouldn't work for elderly cats. My boy has arthritis so contorting his body like that would really hurt him.

They work good for dogs though, I had one when I used to foster guide dogs. They couldn't get their head in the hole.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you have a "Pet Water Fountain " for your boys. I use one. It runs 24/7. It provides them fresh tasting water plus in the winter months Add humidity to my home. A win win solution.
Yes I do have a water fountain in my kitchen plus a reg bowl and then another bowl in a different room.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Top entry boxes probably wouldn't work for elderly cats. My boy has arthritis so contorting his body like that would really hurt him.

They work good for dogs though, I had one when I used to foster guide dogs. They couldn't get their head in the hole.
Thank makes sense. I have 1 top entry and 2 front entry. They tend to like to pee in one and poop in the other.