Litter sticking to scoop

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue. My cat pees on the edge of her litter box. This particular box doesn't require a liner. So when I go to scoop her pee, part of it is stuck to the side of the box, so when I scoop it, part of the pee/mushy litter sticks to the scoop. It's so annoying. I prefer clumping litter and I use dr elseys currently so I'm not sure if there's any hope on resolving thus issue. It is minor but still..when I want to scoop up other litter, I feel like I'm "dirtying" up the clean litter.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish does the same. I use small particle clumping litter and always pretty deep so pee doesn't reach the bottom. What I do is I don't scoop pee before at least half a day so it's absorbed as much as possible. I move the scoop from under the pee towards the edge or side, then nudge a bit. Then I kick the outside of the box, like a few taps, not very hard. Then drop some clean dry litter over the area, so the moist part that's detached from the side of the box is also covered with some dry litter. After that, I scoop all from the center of box towards the edge, carefully lifting the clump.
This way, stickiness is minimized. Otherwise, I have to use two scoops, one with big holes and another with very thin openings to take the broken little clumps.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Okay so I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue. My cat pees on the edge of her litter box.
My boy is a corner pee-er and he uses clumping litter.

I scoop his litter box at the end of the day everyday. So sometimes it has more than one clump of pee. This way, the pee had already clumped up and is pretty dry which makes scooping and cleaning easier.

When I clean his box, I do not use any litter scoop though I have them, I use a wooden spatula and a spoon. I use the spatula and carefully remove the top litter which my boy covers and I'll stop when I reached the top of the pee clump. Then I'll use the spatula and dig close around the pee clump till the base of the pee clump and pry gently from below the clump like what minish minish does to loosen it from the sides and then I'll use the spoon to lift up clump and dump it into the the litter dump bag. I'll then use the spoon to scoop up any loose soiled litter, except that I do not kick the lkitterbox :lol: This way, the litter box won't stink of urine.
After scooping. I'll clean the sides of the litterbox with non scented, non alcohol, non perfumed and without moisturizer wet ones, the same ones that I use to clean his bum after he poop.

Have your litter depth up to at least 4" deep so that the pee does not reach the base of he litterbox else you'll have a hard time cleaning the box.

I use to use scoops with either big holes or small holes but many soiled litter dropped through the holes and makes cleaning more difficult so I ended up with a spatula and spoon which I've been using for years and it worked for me.

This is my arsenal when I scoop the litterbox. A stool for comfort while scooping. I do not use the brown scoop or the little blue scoop. The big blue and gray scoops are for scooping poo only. There's the wooden spatula and spoon. The yellow scrapper below the spoon is for leveling the litter after my boy finish pee-ing. Inside the box is a 1.5kg round ice cream tub which I place a plastic bag over for disposal of litter and poo.
IMG_8178.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy is a corner pee-er and he uses clumping litter.

I scoop his litter box at the end of the day everyday. So sometimes it has more than one clump of pee. This way, the pee had already clumped up and is pretty dry which makes scooping and cleaning easier.

When I clean his box, I do not use any litter scoop though I have them, I use a wooden spatula and a spoon. I use the spatula and carefully remove the top litter which my boy covers and I'll stop when I reached the top of the pee clump. Then I'll use the spatula and dig close around the pee clump till the base of the pee clump and pry gently from below the clump like what minish minish does to loosen it from the sides and then I'll use the spoon to lift up clump and dump it into the the litter dump bag. I'll then use the spoon to scoop up any loose soiled litter, except that I do not kick the lkitterbox :lol: This way, the litter box won't stink of urine.
After scooping. I'll clean the sides of the litterbox with non scented, non alcohol, non perfumed and without moisturizer wet ones, the same ones that I use to clean his bum after he poop.

Have your litter depth up to at least 4" deep so that the pee does not reach the base of he litterbox else you'll have a hard time cleaning the box.

I use to use scoops with either big holes or small holes but many soiled litter dropped through the holes and makes cleaning more difficult so I ended up with a spatula and spoon which I've been using for years and it worked for me.

This is my arsenal when I scoop the litterbox. A stool for comfort while scooping. I do not use the brown scoop or the little blue scoop. The big blue and gray scoops are for scooping poo only. There's the wooden spatula and spoon. The yellow scrapper below the spoon is for leveling the litter after my boy finish pee-ing. Inside the box is a 1.5kg round ice cream tub which I place a plastic bag over for disposal of litter and poo.
View attachment 411551
Great ideas! Thank you! I'm going try these. I do use a stool as well!!

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Minish does the same. I use small particle clumping litter and always pretty deep so pee doesn't reach the bottom. What I do is I don't scoop pee before at least half a day so it's absorbed as much as possible. I move the scoop from under the pee towards the edge or side, then nudge a bit. Then I kick the outside of the box, like a few taps, not very hard. Then drop some clean dry litter over the area, so the moist part that's detached from the side of the box is also covered with some dry litter. After that, I scoop all from the center of box towards the edge, carefully lifting the clump.
This way, stickiness is minimized. Otherwise, I have to use two scoops, one with big holes and another with very thin openings to take the broken little clumps.
My Suki does have a large/ deep box and I probably should have more litter than I've had lately. You reminded me, so last night I put a lot more litter in her box.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
After having 2 cats which are corner pee-ers and poopers: I am just used to it...

I use a "Litter Lifter" scoop--from Amazon. I found that the deeper the litter is the less you do have to scrape off. Beware though, that they will probably pee on the side corner of the box.

Both my guys, always lifted up one foot, leaning it against the side of the box, when peeing. The pee naturally slide down the side of the box, into the corner.

And How the heck did I manage to get have 2 cats, who tell me when they poop??? Wake me up also, to tell me!!
Also, bugg me when there is something in the box!!! Man oh man...

I guess praising them, did work.. With Geoffrey, the litter box is in my bathroom. So it is easy for me to check on it. But, if I am sitting, reading, watching TV, or sleeping. I am chastised because it is 'time ' to clean the box.

I could say, They TRAINED me....

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After having 2 cats which are corner pee-ers and poopers: I am just used to it...

I use a "Litter Lifter" scoop--from Amazon. I found that the deeper the litter is the less you do have to scrape off. Beware though, that they will probably pee on the side corner of the box.

Both my guys, always lifted up one foot, leaning it against the side of the box, when peeing. The pee naturally slide down the side of the box, into the corner.

And How the heck did I manage to get have 2 cats, who tell me when they poop??? Wake me up also, to tell me!!
Also, bugg me when there is something in the box!!! Man oh man...

I guess praising them, did work.. With Geoffrey, the litter box is in my bathroom. So it is easy for me to check on it. But, if I am sitting, reading, watching TV, or sleeping. I am chastised because it is 'time ' to clean the box.

I could say, They TRAINED me....
Hahaha!! 🤣 omg they SO trained you!!!!

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: So far I have put more litter in the box, doing archeologists moves around the pee and poo, gentle kicks on the side of the box, got my stool, bag and bucket, and it's all working!!! I've been doing it every night, and it never fells...as soon as I get it all clean here she comes like clockwork to take a pee!! Grrr!!! I should probably clean her box twice a day but..I am not consistent enough for that.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Update: So far I have put more litter in the box, doing archeologists moves around the pee and poo, gentle kicks on the side of the box, got my stool, bag and bucket, and it's all working!!! I've been doing it every night, and it never fells...as soon as I get it all clean here she comes like clockwork to take a pee!! Grrr!!! I should probably clean her box twice a day but..I am not consistent enough for that.
Yeh, my boy is also an archeologist, he'll dig all the way to China. That's why one of the reason of having deep litterbox with at 4" of litter is needed.

Usually if I've cleaned out the litterbox and my boy comes to pee, I'll let this clump of litter stay till the next day when I clear the box. And I clear the box once a day. For poo, I'll clear the poo immediately.

Don't forget to wash the litterbox and change the litter every 3 months. Always have a spare box so that when one is being washed, you can fill up the spare box. Soak the box in mild detergent for awhile and use a sponge and clean/scrub the box. After that, rinse well and wipe and air dry. This is only good if the litterbox is lightly soiled. If heavily soiled, soak longer.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a corner pee-ers, what I do is lift that side of the litter box up. The clean litter then goes to the other side leaving a nice little clumped pile in the corner. I then use the poop scoop with holes to lift the main pee and scape the rest into a pile, then I use my trusty big plastic spoon that was for cooking before I released it was the right size to fit into the corners brilliantly. If any litter falls of the top when I tip the box I just take it out with the spoon because it stays on top of the clean litter. I bang the litter stuck to the scoop on the side of the box, and mix a little clean with it before scooping again. It stops clumps sticking to the scoop /spoon.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a metal scoop. :)

Ours is heavy, cast aluminum. It's got a sturdy handle with a rubberized grip. It's almost bulletproof! ;)

If stuff sticks to it, you can bang it on the side of a trash can and most of it will fall off. Since the scoop is metal, you'd have to hit it really hard to break it. You can use a piece of toilet paper to wipe off any leftovers then flush the toilet and swish it in the running water.

Don't put large amounts of cat litter down the toilet! The little bits that cling won't hurt but any more can clog the plumbing!

If you need to sanitize or disinfect the scoop, 1/4 cup of Clorox bleach in a quart of warm water will do the trick. Let soak for fifteen minutes, rinse well in clear water then let it dry completely before using. Ain't no virus or bacteria that'll survive that! ;)

One good thing about a metal scoop, vs. plastic is that you don't get that "poop catapult" effect when you try to dig down to the bottom of the box to pry loose any stuck on clumps.

I can't think of any stupid puns for that... Cat-A-Poop? ;)
Wasn't there a book titled, "Brown Spots on the Wall" by Who-flung Poo? ;)

We got our scoop at Pet Supplies Plus. Probably cost $10 or $15 but it was well worth it.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might try spraying the scoop with a non-stick cooking spray.
This. After I have thoroughly cleaned the box, I wipe down the inside with vegetable oil. You could also just use a spray. My girl likes a big box, also loves the sides, and I have to put about 30lbs of a 40lb bag in there. Like you, I also use Dr Elseys. With this method, nothing sticks, and clumps nice and hard. I do try and not scoop right after she’s used it though.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, litter, and scoop do the same thing! I have two back up scoops so that I can interchange as needed.

Chewy has a scoop that is Teflon coated but I seriously doubt it would make any real difference. So does Amazon. I haven't bothered to try either as I am a bit skeptical about any success with either.
IPRIMIO Sifter with Non-Stick Litter Scooper, Black - Chewy.com
Amazon.com : PETSCATCH Teflon Coated Cat Litter Scoop with Solid Core Aluminum Handle, Blue : Pet Supplies
I use the IPRIMIO. Haven't seen any problem yet, but then I only been scooping litter since February, so too soon to tell.